Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Mesa, AZ

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Photos!!!!

Attachments

• IMG_7903.jpeg
    IMG_7903.jpeg
    940.2 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_7902.jpeg
    IMG_7902.jpeg
    866.6 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_7901.jpeg
    IMG_7901.jpeg
    691.3 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_7904.jpeg
    IMG_7904.jpeg
    852.6 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_7905.jpeg
    IMG_7905.jpeg
    700.1 KB · Views: 4
Photos!!!!
When you said “V4 cabinets” I got very interested since V4 charging cabinets do not exist yet (in public). V4 chargers, or V4 dispensers, or V4 charging pylons, etc. makes more sense, and is still exciting to see in AZ. Still seemed odd that Tesla needed to dig up everything, but that must have been because of charger repositioning, or because of an upgrade for future 1000v or higher amperage capability. (Or both)
It looks like those chargers have integrated MagicDocks, but it is hard to tell.
That one stall that is right up against the wall seems like an odd placement.

Reactions: Tyl
Wow those V4's have a much larger liquid reservoir than the V3s. What's the purple wire for? Black, red green make sense, maybe purple is a bundle of comms wire? Looks great though, can't wait to get charging - if the site ever opens based on the current state of the supercharging team.

Can anyone tell what has been done to this site, aside from digging up and replacing something in the ground? In particular, did new transformers replace older ones?

It seems like this site just might not have been done right from the start, necessitating starting over. It still seems like the weirdest replacement I've heard of. Actually, it is the ONLY replacement I've ever heard of! (Anyone know of another spot where V3 were all replaced with V4's?)

Can anyone tell what has been done to this site, aside from digging up and replacing something in the ground? In particular, did new transformers replace older ones?

It seems like this site just might not have been done right from the start, necessitating starting over. It still seems like the weirdest replacement I've heard of. Actually, it is the ONLY replacement I've ever heard of! (Anyone know of another spot where V3 were all replaced with V4's?)
It is strange how much rework was required. When I did a drive by, i saw all of the underground conduit getting reworked. Considering how new this site was, I would have thought the infrastructure was V4 ready and just a pedestal swap needed to upgrade but i guess they didn't plan that far ahead. Hopefully it gets done with all the layoff turmoil at the Tesla SC group.

Got some pictures today. Looks like 11/12 stalls have been mounted. Still using V3 cabinets with the v4 stalls. Looking back at some old pictures I had of the V3 chargers, the wire they pulled through for this reinstall looks thicker. Might explain why they needed to re-run the conduit. But then that begs the question - Why run thicker wire if they're not upgrading the cabinets? Also does anyone know what the big silver box is for on the stalls? It looks much larger than what was installed in the V3 stalls. Maybe it contains a 800v boost converter? (Also I'm not sure if these pictures are posting)

It is strange how much rework was required. When I did a drive by, i saw all of the underground conduit getting reworked. Considering how new this site was, I would have thought the infrastructure was V4 ready and just a pedestal swap needed to upgrade but i guess they didn't plan that far ahead. Hopefully it gets done with all the layoff turmoil at the Tesla SC group.
Maybe you inadvertently pointed out what could have been a major issue Elon had with the Supercharger team. Poor infrastructure planning to convert in the near future to v4? (Of course every time I see our freeways torn up to widen I have the same concern about bad past planning. For example, the 60 freeway initial widening through Tempe 15-20 years ago was limited to appease city leadership even though it was recognized at that time that expensive additional widening would probably be needed in a short number of years. And that’s exactly what happened.)

Last edited:
Do we have an ETA on this reopening? Thanks!
No. When I talked to the guy working there and suggested 4 more weeks, he said, "Oh no, two more weeks." Now my 4 weeks appears to have been optimistic. Then again, we were not clear as to what we were talking about as being finished. Maybe his work was 2 more weeks, but certainly not the reopening.