Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki UK and Ireland Supercharger Site News

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Somebody on TOUK Facebook group wrote this about Preston South (on 2nd April):

Everything built in the NW seems to have long DNO delays these days - Birch, Preston, Manchester, even the Gretna expansion...
Scottish Power the DNO? Owned from Spain and incompetent/corrupt in extreme. My experience of managing two residential properties. UK Govt. not enforcing KPIs for these private monopolies. Bring on the revolution I say.

Well, at present it's like petrol stations that only have pumps on one side with hoses that aren't long enough to reach over to the other side...

An awesome feature of Teslas is the supercharger availability updates in the cars' satnavs: they even tell you how many cars are en route to the charger now. That's all broken when they open up to all with short cable chargers or V4s that are positioned in such a way that people may end up using the wrong stall and blocking stalls. It's not fun arriving at a supercharger that says it's got 4 free stalls to find they are all blocked by people using alternating stall sides.

I'm also not optimistic that this opening up will lead to any greater rollout of superchargers. However, it may well be necessary to keep the ship afloat, and if that's the case, well, better than having none...
I feel like they need to do the Tesla Vision on Superchargers so they can track this, charger can know which side the car is that plugged in and hence that the bay on the other side is blocked. They could solve this and improve on it but having fired the whole team I don't expect they will do.

Much better news…… according to Tesla charge map, Thetford now open with 16 x v4

Attachments

• IMG_2884.jpeg
    IMG_2884.jpeg
    531.7 KB · Views: 4
Now that the expanded Thetford has reopened, and Gloucester Services North/South has opened, broken down, reopened, and Penhale (formerly Fraddon) is also finally out of the door, it’s time to update my construction list with the latest corrections. Note that Gretna Caledonia Park has now begun construction along with Glasgow SC in Scotland (neither are noted as such on supercharge.info yet, nor is Tamworth btw).

In the bag (just needs switch-on?):
  • Gretna Services [Expansion]
  • Exeter SC
  • Sheffield Meadowhall (Retail Park)
  • Birch Services East/West
  • Preston South (Holiday Inn)
  • Manchester Old Trafford (Retail Park)
  • Manchester Central SC
Construction close to finished (all equipment in place):
  • South Mimms Services [Expansion]
  • Woodall Services [Expansion]
  • London Gateway Services
Construction well underway (some equipment in place):
  • Rugby (Retail Park)
  • Stevenage (Gridserve)
Early stages construction (awaiting equipment delivery):
  • Abington Services [Expansion]
  • Burtonwood Services [Expansion]
  • Gretna Caledonia Park (Retail Park)
  • Milton Keynes SC
  • Glasgow SC
  • Bar Hill SC
Pre-construction (site fenced off, nothing happening):
  • Tamworth Services
Unconfirmed as SuC site?:
  • Truro - Treliske (Retail Park)

Now that the expanded Thetford has reopened, and Gloucester Services North/South has opened, broken down, reopened, and Penhale (formerly Fraddon) is also finally out of the door, it’s time to update my construction list with the latest corrections. Note that Gretna Caledonia Park has now begun construction along with Glasgow SC in Scotland (neither are noted as such on supercharge.info yet, nor is Tamworth btw).

• Exeter SC
  • Manchester Central SC
  • Rugby (Retail Park)
  • Stevenage (Gridserve)
  • Milton Keynes SC
  • Glasgow SC
  • Bar Hill SC
  • Tamworth Services
What I’d like to see is in the not too distant future another new site planned to prove that they will still do them despite all the layoffs in the Supercharger team. Also be nice if the pace keeps up or even accelerates to match putting more cars on the road.

Reactions: zexpe

• Exeter SC
  • Manchester Central SC
  • Rugby (Retail Park)
  • Stevenage (Gridserve)
  • Milton Keynes SC
  • Glasgow SC
  • Bar Hill SC
  • Tamworth Services
I've been tracking the V4 sites in plan, construction and opened over at SpeakEV

First Tesla v4 Superchargers in UK

There's a couple sites in that list that I'm not sure you've covered.

Thanks! So focusing on the Tesla network (not just hardware), I see I'm missing Bournemouth SC and Sarn Park [Expansion]? Anybody know what their latest state of construction is?
I passed through Sarn Park at the end of March and there was some groundworks going on behind the charger stalls but to my uninformed eye it seemed to be for laying cabling/services for something unconnected with the supercharger stalls, so could be a false alarm. Things might have changed since then but I haven't come across any more recent reports of an upgrade there.

Reactions: GRiLLA
Woodall is just SB at the moment, will be popping by later so will get pictures to share, no evidence this morning of NB works sadly.
I think NB was always plagued by lack of the power supply.

same applies to Welcome Break at Leicester Forest East Services (both, SB and NB) on M1. It is one of very very few Services in the country without ANY kind of charging infrastructure due to lack of power supply.

I think NB was always plagued by lack of the power supply.

same applies to Welcome Break at Leicester Forest East Services (both, SB and NB) on M1. It is one of very very few Services in the country without ANY kind of charging infrastructure due to lack of power supply.
They should look into battery and solar. Infact a lot of places should do so they can both take some load off the grid and also spread that load out as required. You’ve got to figure most services have a ton of roof space for solar.