Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Waymo

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can the Zeekr transport someone in a Wheelchair or have a platform for a larger Wheelchair or Mobility Scooter?
1715826702263.png

Reactions: enemji
Mary would be wise to sell Cruise to Waymo along with a deal to supply Origins.
The problem GM etc have is that they think RT is an auto business. Its not - its a AI + retail customer service/logistics business. GM has no experience in this - but is afraid to be left out. An MB exec put it this way some time back - they don't just want to be a noname supplier to Google. RT is what really shakes auto OEMs, not EVs.

Reactions: nativewolf
The problem GM etc have is that they think RT is an auto business. Its not - its a AI + retail customer service/logistics business. GM has no experience in this - but is afraid to be left out. An MB exec put it this way some time back - they don't just want to be a noname supplier to Google. RT is what really shakes auto OEMs, not EVs.
RT has no reason to be successful unless it brings a game changer competitive advantage.

Competing and being profitable against Uber / Lyft / RideAlto is a very tough business.

Reactions: nativewolf
RT has no reason to be successful unless it brings a game changer competitive advantage.

Competing and being profitable against Uber / Lyft / RideAlto is a very tough business.
Well, Uber/Lyft themselves would love to get their hands on RTs ! If RT is technically feasible, they will figure out a way to make them competitive.

Is there any precedence for automation to have completely failed and people went back to manual labor ?

Well, Uber/Lyft themselves would love to get their hands on RTs ! If RT is technically feasible, they will figure out a way to make them competitive.

Is there any precedence for automation to have completely failed and people went back to manual labor ?
This is a public facing automation. Every other automation that I have worked in has been corporate oriented for their own benefit.

A long time ago I was involved with automating a factory. 350 skilled labor worked that line. We built a parallel factory (literally and figuratively) next to the existing one, deployed fully automated equipment which required 12 engineers to run. The main driving reason from the corporation? Yes. You got it. No more labor union and the hassles and shutdowns that come with it evry now and then.

To answer your question, for a public service oriented effort, uber / lyft have already demolished the Taxi union, and got rid of the issues that they had.

What is RT going to bring to the table to win over existing Uber / Lyft?

This is a public facing automation. Every other automation that I have worked in has been corporate oriented for their own benefit.
What is RT going to bring to the table to win over existing Uber / Lyft?
Desire of the people to have standardized service.

I mean just look at automated checkouts. We are literally doing the work of checkout clerks without getting paid !

Reactions: enemji
I mean just look at automated checkouts. We are literally doing the work of checkout clerks without getting paid !
I use the self checkout only if I have a couple of items. This is because of corporate policies. If I scan and the counter fails to read it, I am now a thief. Experienced this first hand with none other than costco. My cart at costco had an additional item that was not on my receipt. The guy at the gate looks at the receipt and then gives me the good news. Oh you don’t have to worry about it as you didn’t use the self checkout. This is our checout person’s error.

• Funny
Reactions: primedive and EVNow
So it will be another bus/tram service, with nobody to keep it neat and clean after every ride. The RT will become nothing more than a stinky public service offering.
This is where individual RT companies can differentiate themselves from others. Better companies will have lots of places where the RTs will go to charge & get cleaned in every market.

People keep talking about how passengers will dirty the car (intentionally or otherwise). I don't think so - since there are cameras and the companies can charge a "cleaning fees". I don't think cleaning will be a big issue.