Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
EXACTLY. So, there will be a new team overseeing future development of the Supercharger network in time. Likely in the not too distant future. Their goals will be more aligned with Mr. Musk's and they'll be a lot leaner and more efficient. I fail to see the cause for all the consternation by many here.
I’m not concerned about it. He gets things done. I’m more curious about the plan and strategy going forward. V2 to V3 upgrades. More trailer stalls. And as Elon pointed out there will continue to be some gap filling going on no doubt.

I think people will relax a bit when new sites or improvements to older sites start showing up on the map.

Jmho.

Reactions: bpjod and RED MDL3
I thought Elon confirmed in the recent past that FSD doesn't leave lanes to avoid accidents
It certainly did last summer when we almost got sideswiped by a boxtruck at 2am on a highway in Massachusetts - it was our on right in what we refer to as "the blind spot" although FSD was obviously not blind to it. My cousin was driving, I was the passenger seat. We were in the middle lane on the highway, and when the boxtruck tried to take us out, FSD immediately moved us to the fast lane. It was swift and dexisive, but not jerky and uncomfortable - very fluid.

This time, FSD pushed the MX all the way left, maybe the wheel went over the line, but it wasn't like we were all the way in the berm. By "edged to the berm" I meant it used the entire left part of the lane right up to the berm.

Last edited:
My definition of Optimus doing "useful work" is - work Tesla would pay a human to do.

Regardless of the effort to train for this type of work, it is mostly a one-time task.

Once trained - any number of bots can do the same task 24/7 for any number of years.

Say the task was pick up an object on a bench carry over to a conveyor-belt and place it one the belt in a particular orientation.

There are 2 ways to train:-

Specific - train to pickup and move that particular object in that specific environment.

Generic - train to pack up any object in any environment and do something with it.

Initially, to do useful work, it doesn't matter if the training is specific or generic.

In the long run a library of specific tasks can help build towards a generic ability to do tasks, generic ability means less training is needed to do a new task.

So some of the AI training compute may be intended to be used for Optimus with the hedge that it can be borrowed to speed up FSD training if necessary.

The ROI on Optimus starts with "useful work" - hence wages saved.

scaesare said:
My point is that that's not what was being said when presented to folks.
Yes it was. It was blatantly deceiving. Its why they had to change the FSD contract language because they realized there was no way in hell it was actually going to be self driving.

You are omitting context, and thereby insinuating I'm making a claim I am not.

What I said was "not being presented to folks" was in the context of discussing whether it was an unedited single take.

What the FSD contract language was revised to say has no bearing as to if they claimed the video was a single take, on the first try, with tuning, etc... Nor am I discussing what the contract was revised to say, what they ultimately determined the current tech in the car was capable of, etc...

I almost forgot! Reading up, ya Buffet is giving everyone a head's up.

Re: Berkshire...

"About $2.4 billion worth of the company's most recent quarterly operating profit came from its insurance arm. The insurance gains were largely pushed by profits coming from car insurer Geico. The company managed to turn around its balance sheet by hiking rates by almost 17%. "
I'm glad to hear that excessive insurance rate hike that was just imposed on all my vehicle, housing, and umbrella policies are giving insurance companies record profits...sounds about right.🙄

I’m not concerned about it. He gets things done. I’m more curious about the plan and strategy going forward. V2 to V3 upgrades. More trailer stalls. And as Elon pointed out there will continue to be some gap filling going on no doubt.

I think people will relax a bit when new sites or improvements to older sites start showing up on the map.

Jmho.
Agreed. With OEM’s reducing production of EV‘s, the need for rapid growth of charging locations is diminished. I seldom arrive at a supercharger finding no stalls available. I would love to see more V3’s, but existing capacity is certainly adequate in most regions.

• Helpful
Reactions: Mike Ambler
Whichever way I look at it and work through 15 different scenarios in my mind, I can't find any reasonable justification to decimate the team that is responsible for the most admired, most loved, key differentiator and most useful capability in Tesla by a mile, which is perhaps responsible for majority of their sales - Supercharging.

This is the time they should not let up on the gas and continue to keep going building more and more SCs, while perhaps cutting down other areas.

I am shaking my head.. and losing confidence on these knee jerk decisions
A team is kept in place when needed presently or in the near future, not because of past actions or accomplishments. That is the nature of business. Supercharger capability and availability seems to meet the current need in most regions.

Agreed. With OEM’s reducing production of EV‘s, the need for rapid growth of charging locations is diminished. I seldom arrive at a supercharger finding no stalls available. I would love to see more V3’s, but existing capacity is certainly adequate in most regions.
At least so far I haven’t seen any of the coming soon pins dissspesr from the tesla site map. Fingers crossed. We have a few gaps up here yet. At least for us pulling trailers. 😂

That is not an accurate description of how the 2016 video came to be.

In addition to hard-coding, they had to drive over 500 miles with very very frequent interventions (all documented in CA DMV records for self driving for the year) and then edit that down to splice together all the really short clips between interventions to make it appear that it did the full drive in a single take with NO interventions and stating right in the video the human is only there because he's legally required to be (rather than because the system required human intervention over and over and over again through the many many many takes they had to do)

I think you'd have to be....very very creative... to not find that outright dishonest.
Most of the demos/prototypes are always done with a bit of creativity, including Steve Jobs with the iPhone. The Model S prototype was barely working and based off a Mercedes CLS body with the hood being secured with magnets! (all very well documented in print & video). It doesn’t mean that It is fake and the real product won’t exist in the future. That’s why I didn’t understand the Teslemming outrage over Nikola truck prototype. I felt like these people didn’t understand their own company’s history.
The autonomy day video several years later, in contrast, WAS a single take, over I wanna say like 12 or 13 total miles driven...
.. while being chased by a shorty nutcase

I'd like to suggest we move past the 500 SuC team layoff. I think it's been thoroughly discussed. Like dead horse discussed. Without new information, everyone is just second guessing a CEO with a track record much much better than ANYONE posting here.
I’ll put my track record for second guessing up against his any day.

👀

[What level is Tesla's FSD? ] Zhang Ying, director of the Shanghai Municipal Commission of Economy and Information Technology, said on May 6 during the #2024ShanghaiMinshengInterview that FSD may evolve to a higher level, L4-L5. "Everyone is looking forward to fully autonomous driving, which will bring about huge changes in transportation, logistics, and working methods."

To be pedantic, “decimate” literally means to reduce by 10%, so not really appropriate here.

Though I’ll stipulate that in common usage it’s often used to mean to reduce by a substantial or extreme amount.

Elon's layoffs, as announced, decimated the ranks of Tesla employees. Literally as defined.

What, because the Reduction In Force started at 10% and has since increased a few percent it is not appropriate?

That is a lot closer to spot-on and accurate nomenclature than most times that word is used, isn't it? 🤔

Last edited: