Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Model Y RWD battery chemistry?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unless I missed it, I wish Tesla would disclose what battery chemistry is included with each model. I gather the recently listed MY RWD is an LFP battery, but I’d like to know that and more before ordering. LFP, restricted NCA, other? 2170, blade, other? 60 kWh?

Would be nice to know rear casting, front casting, structural battery pack. I assume the answers are yes, no, no…

Last edited:
but I’d like to know that and more before ordering.
Then you’ll likely need to wait for deliveries to start before you order.

Seems highly likely to me they’re plopping in the same battery that’s already here in the US and being used in the 3 RWD. Where these vehicles are manufactured will provide strong clues as to the castings and what not when people start getting VINs.

Reactions: Midpack
Then you’ll likely need to wait for deliveries to start before you order.

Seems highly likely to me they’re plopping in the same battery that’s already here in the US and being used in the 3 RWD. Where these vehicles are manufactured will provide strong clues as to the castings and what not when people start getting VINs.
I honestly would hate if Tesla used the crappy Gen1 4680 battery cells in the MY RWD model. I would much rather have Tesla plop in the same LFP battery design as the M3 RWD model and the clues of the 260 mile range hint at a LFP battery since a NMC RWD model should theoretically have more range (ex: 300) than the NMC AWD model at 279 miles.

It remains to be seen but I think Tesla only wants to produce the Gen2 (Cyber) 4680 battery cells in the cybertruck at this point but I would hope it has a vast improvement over the Gen1 4680 cells.

I picked up my Model Y RWD 11/29/23 in San Diego. I was told it was the regular 75 Kw battery, not the LFP and it is software limited to 260 miles. The Online Chat told me it was LFP. Does anyone know what the current USA MY RWD uses for a battery? If software limited, I will charge 100% to get near 80% of a 75Kw battery.

Reactions: Anthony R.
I picked up my Model Y RWD 11/29/23 in San Diego. I was told it was the regular 75 Kw battery, not the LFP and it is software limited to 260 miles. The Online Chat told me it was LFP. Does anyone know what the current USA MY RWD uses for a battery? If software limited, I will charge 100% to get near 80% of a 75Kw battery.

You will know if the battery is LFP or not, by looking at the charging screen in the car. If it has a daily and trip section, its not LFP. If it DOESNT say "daily" and "trip" in the charging slider in the car, its LFP.

I also havent heard about software locking of model Y batteries, but admittedly are not following the standard range model Y vehicles.

You will know if the battery is LFP or not, by looking at the charging screen in the car. If it has a daily and trip section, its not LFP. If it DOESNT say "daily" and "trip" in the charging slider in the car, its LFP.

I also havent heard about software locking of model Y batteries, but admittedly are not following the standard range model Y vehicles.
A friend of mine picked up their MY RWD today and it is not LFP. It has the usual daily and trip in the charging slider.

Does anyone know what the current USA MY RWD uses for a battery?
You’re in the best position to tell us.

Supercharge your car to 100% and record the charging speed vs. state of charge as you approach 100%. How fast is the car charging at 85, 90, 95, 98%?

After you fully charge to 100%, do you still have regenerative braking available? (Turn off the feature that uses the friction brakes to mimic regen or closely watch the green vs gray of the regen bar on the center screen).

I still believe it is an LFP pack. We know that deleting the front drive motor and related components/wiring is a savings of about 250 lbs.

Model Y RWD is only 154 lbs. lighter than the AWD model. This means there's an extra ~100 lbs. of battery in the car, while at the same time providing less usable energy.

On a similar note, the Model 3 RWD is only 171 lbs. lighter than its LR AWD counterpart (front motor savings + audio system savings, offset by higher pack weight).

The car would be much lighter if it was a nickel-based pack.

I still believe it is an LFP pack. We know that deleting the front drive motor and related components/wiring is a savings of about 250 lbs.

Model Y RWD is only 154 lbs. lighter than the AWD model. This means there's an extra ~100 lbs. of battery in the car, while at the same time providing less usable energy.

On a similar note, the Model 3 RWD is only 171 lbs. lighter than its LR AWD counterpart (front motor savings + audio system savings, offset by higher pack weight).

MY RWD is NOT LFP.

That is one reason why all MY next year will get the 7,500 tax credit, but not M3 RWD.

Reactions: Patrick_TX
Did he tear the pack down?

How do you shed 250lbs of motor and related components, drop the battery size, and lose 4 speakers and an amplifier and only end up with a 150lb lighter vehicle?
It is really quite simple; no need to tear the battery apart.

If the car says to charge to 80% for daily driving, it is NOT LFP. If it says it is OK to charge to 100% for daily driving, it is LFP. Note the difference between our MX and M3 RWD.

My friend's new MY RWD looks like our MX, not our M3 RWD. Also, its max charge is 48 amps, not 32 amps.

There may be some confusion, because MY LFP cars are sold in other markets. But not in the US, at least not at this time.

IMG_3973.PNG

M3 RWD is fine with 100% charging:

IMG_3974.PNG

Where are you getting your numbers?

Tesla US website says Y RWD is 209 lbs lighter than Y LR.

Tesla EU website says Y RWD is 70kg (~154 lbs) lighter. The European Y RWD is LFP.

For comparison, Tesla US lists the Model 3 RWD with LFP as being 172 lbs lighter than 3 LR.

Where are you getting your numbers?

Tesla US website says Y RWD is 209 lbs lighter than Y LR.

Tesla EU website says Y RWD is 70kg (~154 lbs) lighter. The European Y RWD is LFP.

For comparison, Tesla US lists the Model 3 RWD with LFP as being 172 lbs lighter than 3 LR.
Thanks for the correction. I must have used EU numbers instead of US numbers.

The numbers still support the Model Y RWD being LFP. I don't know how you drop 250lbs of motor/components + stereo components and end up with a lower capacity, heavier battery.

As a data point, the 2019 Model 3 LR AWD vs the SR+ was a 520lb difference, due to a smaller nickel battery, no front motor, and reduced stereo components.

Last edited: