Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Model Y RWD battery chemistry?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Quick question for experts here. Isn't a SW limited LR battery better than a LFP battery? Because technically you can charge your SW limited LR battery to 100% each time and still be within 80% of its max capacity.
Better than LFP, yes. It will have better charging performance while still being able to charge to 100%. I believe better cold-weather performance, too.

But it's indicative that this was a last-minute audible by Tesla to shore-up demand. A better solution would have been true SR 2170 pack like what used to be offered in Model 3. This would preserve IRA tax credit, while being cheaper and lighter than a SW locked LR pack.

You’re in the best position to tell us.

Supercharge your car to 100% and record the charging speed vs. state of charge as you approach 100%. How fast is the car charging at 85, 90, 95, 98%?

After you fully charge to 100%, do you still have regenerative braking available? (Turn off the feature that uses the friction brakes to mimic regen or closely watch the green vs gray of the regen bar on the center screen).
Can any new TMY RWD owners post these findings?
Better than LFP, yes. It will have better charging performance while still being able to charge to 100%. I believe better cold-weather performance, too.

But it's indicative that this was a last-minute audible by Tesla to shore-up demand. A better solution would have been true SR 2170 pack like what used to be offered in Model 3. This would preserve IRA tax credit, while being cheaper and lighter than a SW locked LR pack.
I think RWD will be produced in limited numbers to provide a temporary floor on pricing and for marketing. It does seem like a rushed parts bin vehicle.

A friend of mine picked up their MY RWD today and it is not LFP. It has the usual daily and trip in the charging slider.
Would be very strange. It doesnt sound right but its not impossible.

If we play with the thought that they deliver the RWD with soft locked LR-batteries, they would be using about 60-61 kWh out of 79-82 kWh.
To use the daily 80% or less from that battery it would not even need to use 80% of the capacity, so the charge slider would not need any daily/trip sections.

So no daily trip would be needed and the charge rate would be able to reach 250kW up to about 30-33% SOC.

So then it should have battery that is not software locked, or at least not by the LR capacity. Or that Tesla did not think before they put that slider in.
In the past, software locked cars did not receive any modification or accommodation in the battery slider, charging recommendations, etc.

My Model S “60” (software locked 75) had the normal and expected charging recommendations, would warn you about repeatedly charging to 100%, all those things - just like it was a “real” 60kwh battery.

Unless I missed it, I wish Tesla would disclose what battery chemistry is included with each model. I gather the recently listed MY RWD is an LFP battery, but I’d like to know that and more before ordering. LFP, restricted NCA, other? 2170, blade, other? 60 kWh?

Would be nice to know rear casting, front casting, structural battery pack. I assume the answers are yes, no, no…
See the other thread
It’s not LFP but NCA
LR with SW limit meaning can charge to 100%
Again, see the other thread

In the past, software locked cars did not receive any modification or accommodation in the battery slider, charging recommendations, etc.

My Model S “60” (software locked 75) had the normal and expected charging recommendations, would warn you about repeatedly charging to 100%, all those things - just like it was a “real” 60kwh battery.
I felt that as the regular RWD’s has only had one area 0-100%, it would be expected to have the same, as the battery will be using low enough cycles anyway.
The good idea with using LFP’s with 100% daily would loose some of the good if a RWD get <80% daily.
A LR/P battery should have the slider in one area to 100% if the battery is softlocked below 80%…

To use the daily 80% or less from that battery it would not even need to use 80% of the capacity, so the charge slider would not need any daily/trip sections.
Tesla does not want to reveal that they are putting LR batteries in RWD otherwise this would kill the demand for LR models. Wouldn't everyone buy RWD and charge it to 100% rather than buying LR and charge it to 80%? I believe it still makes sense to put the daily/trip slider even if its SW limited to 80%

Reactions: AAKEE
You’re in the best position to tell us.

Supercharge your car to 100% and record the charging speed vs. state of charge as you approach 100%. How fast is the car charging at 85, 90, 95, 98%?

After you fully charge to 100%, do you still have regenerative braking available? (Turn off the feature that uses the friction brakes to mimic regen or closely watch the green vs gray of the regen bar on the center screen).
I have a model Y rwd and I’m happy to do a supercharger test. What would I look for in the charging curve to determine its an LFP vs another battery?

I have a model Y rwd and I’m happy to do a supercharger test. What would I look for in the charging curve to determine its an LFP vs another battery?
Does it say: "Charge tip: 80% recommended for daily driving" when you increase the charging percentage above 80? If so, it is NOT LFP.

And if not so, I would be very surprised, you would have the first MY delivered in the US that had an LFP battery that I have ever heard of.

Does it say: "Charge tip: 80% recommended for daily driving" when you increase the charging percentage above 80? If so, it is NOT LFP.

And if not so, I would be very surprised, you would have the first MY delivered in the US that had an LFP battery that I have ever heard of.
Nope.

MY RWD has had LFP at least for a while, model 3 RWD had NCA cells earlier.

Any LR and P has not LFP, and newer had.
They so far always had NCA or NMC.

That might be a software setting. According to 3 different reps at my local Tesla dealership, they said my Model Y RWD is LFP and that 80% recommendation on the charging screen is a "software glitch'. I'm skeptical with what they are saying. But comparing the supercharging charging curve to other LFP's would likely be the best way to put this question to bed.

So..I'll ask again...
What would I look for in the charging curve to determine its an LFP vs another battery?

Reactions: AAKEE
That might be a software setting. According to 3 different reps at my local Tesla dealership, they said my Model Y RWD is LFP and that 80% recommendation on the charging screen is a "software glitch'. I'm skeptical with what they are saying. But comparing the supercharging charging curve to other LFP's would likely be the best way to put this question to bed.

So..I'll ask again...
What would I look for in the charging curve to determine its an LFP vs another battery?
An real LFP would top at about 170kW if low SOC and completely precontitioned batterey.

LFP approx charging speed
LFP.png

Li ion approx charging speed (you would see even faster as your capacity is about 75% of the li ion.
LI ion.png

Reactions: ven7782