Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

All discussion of Lucid Motors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Highway efficiency is impressive even compared to the Model 3

Capture.PNG

Highway efficiency is impressive even compared to the Model 3

View attachment 710059

Yep, got to admit it, Lucid seems to have built a great car as these numbers are impressive. Of course the pricing is high, but for a luxury EV these should sell extremely well as long as they can achieve high quality levels.

Seems like some Tesla competition has finally arrived! As long as Lucid can hit decent production volumes that is.

I'm still buying a Model Y LR though, as it's just a much better value for me.

Reactions: keydiver
First, it's a smaller car (smaller frontal area) so lower drag at the expense of less roominess in the cabin.

For comparison:
Lucid Air: 195.9"L x 76.3"W x 55.5"H
Plaid: 196"L x 77"W x 57"H

Battery maxes at 113 kWh.

Smaller motors ,reduction gear, and electronics.

Less room for machine more for man is what Lucid claims.

More roomy than a Mercedes S Class.

We shall see once the car is in the wild and journalist and utubbers get their hands on them.

I want to see some proof first.

People in that thread have applied the same math to the Model S which suggests the Model S actually has a battery size of 114 kW. There's not really any other way to look at it other than the battery in the Lucid is much much higher than what Lucid is saying it is. Lucid's claim of 500 miles on a 113 kW battery have always seemed very fishy.

Reactions: MP3Mike
Isn't that the same confusion I had earlier? Doesn't the EPA rating mean it takes 140 kWh from the wall to fully charge the battery (including charging losses), not that the battery itself is actually 140 kWh?
Yes, exactly. At 90% charging efficiency the usable battery capacity would be 126 kWh. At 85% efficiency it'd be 119 kWh. 80% would be 112 kWh usable, but that's pretty awful. I can't see why they'd obsess for years over vehicle efficiency then install crappy charging components.

Model S LR is 28 kWh/100 mile EPA and Lucid Air Dream R is 27. So there's only a few percent efficiency difference. If charging efficiency is equal then Dream R battery is 24% larger than S LR.

Reactions: DrL90
Don't forget the starting price being ~55% higher than the Model S LR. (And we still don't know what will be optional, or how much those options will cost do we?)

The "starting price" for Air is $77.4k and is eligible for the $7500 Fed Credit. Which may change.

And you can get the Air GT with 516 EPA miles for $30k less than the Dream.

Dream is pretty much loaded. Options are the wheels.

Tesla and Air have different options.

Air comes with 32 sensors for promised level 3+ autonomy in the future but not full self driving. Doesn't come with advance gaming capability.

Does come with bidirectional charging wunderbox, 900 v system capable of over 300 kW charging (325-350?) leather seats, more sound insulation. Plus you get the exclusivity of Lucid. When I go to my local mall there are at least 3 other Model S in the parking lot. I know West Los Angeles isn't typical of the rest of America but Lucid ain't selling many Airs in Kansas.

Lots of little differences one can pick at.

Last edited:
The "starting price" for Air is $77.4k and is eligible for the $7500 Fed Credit. Which may change.

Sure, but the "Air Pure", at that starting price, doesn't have the specs you quoted. I was quoting the starting price for what would have the range you quoted, the "Air Grand Touring". If you want to compare the Dream edition it costs ~88% more than the Model S LR.

And you can get the Air GT with 516 EPA miles for $30k less than the Dream.
The price I was referencing, $139k/~55% more than the Model S LR, is for the "Air Grand Touring". Not the Dream edition, that is sold out, and costs $169k.

Dream is pretty much loaded. Options are the wheels.
Again, I didn't quote the price of the Dream edition. And I haven't seen what is optional on the "Air Grand Touring".