Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chevy Bolt - 200 mile range for $30k base price (after incentive)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure why that matters in a discussion about the M3... Elon stated it would come with active safety features standard, GM is offering it as an added option to their highest trim level.

Because it appears you are implying that Chevrolet is overcharging for Bolts because they can be purchased without all the optional features.

ie - All cars should be loaded from the factory.

I have bought a very few cars that didn't have shiit for options. 2 of the Vettes were pretty much "pick your color". Stick only, hardtop only. No options except museum delivery and allowing you to build your own engine by hand with the help of a Chevy technician. And I think the Caddy only had color and choice of automatic or stick.

But that is rare. Most cars have both trim levels and optional equipment. The Bolt is no different.

Reactions: X Yes?
Because it appears you are implying that Chevrolet is overcharging for Bolt because it can be purchased without all the optional features.

ie - All cars should be loaded from the factory.

I have bought a few of cars that didn't have shiit for options. 2 of the Vettes were pretty much "pick your color". Stick only, hardtop only. No options except museum delivery and allowing you to build your own engine by hand with the help of a Chevy technician. And I think the Caddy only had color and choice of automatic or stick.

But that is rare. Most cars have both trim levels and optional equipment. The Bolt is no different.

I think they're overcharging DCFC...but my point was to highlight the reach the OP was making with the "over-delivering" comment.

The range was higher than most expected, certainly, but if we're making comparisons to Tesla it seems remiss to discount the fact that the M3 will have standard features on the base vehicle that will cost $6k+ to get on the Bolt.

Not sure why you are looking side ways at this. Recently, GM had more first place quality wins at JD Power, than Toyota. It will be interesting to contrast Model 3 build quality against the Bolt. The Model X launch certainly was not encouraging.
We look "sideways" at GM because of their legislative and regulatory activity against Tesla being able to decide what business model to use to sell its product. If GM thinks it's car is good enough to go up against Tesla, then stop all the rent seeking activity limiting how Tesla sells and services its cars and let the market decide.

Not sure why you are looking side ways at this. Recently, GM had more first place quality wins at JD Power, than Toyota. It will be interesting to contrast Model 3 build quality against the Bolt. The Model X launch certainly was not encouraging.

No, I was just kidding by throwing my GM line item out there. We purchased my wife's 2012 Equinox brand new in the fall of 2011 and besides the usual maintenance items, the ONLY issue it's ever had was an actuator switch to the vent control went bad to the tune of $100. The vehicle now has 68K miles on it and has been the most reliable vehicle that we've ever owned.

• Informative
Reactions: Drivin
Not sure why you are looking side ways at this. Recently, GM had more first place quality wins at JD Power, than Toyota.

I love my Tesla too....however I have received strong resistance to the comments you guys are making. Its almost like any adverse Tesla comments - even if they are true - are like forum kryptonite.

Lets be brutally honest guys: people just hate GM. HATE.

If the Bolt were a Ford, Nissan, or Honda, 95% of the diehards here would be rolling out the red carpet guaranteed.

The fact is that GM murdered the EV-1 despite pleas from the people who leased them, then proceeded to profit for years from huge gas-guzzling SUVs, and then took a massive government bailout to survive a bankruptcy reorganization. In the process, they alienated everyone from tree-huggers to fiscal conservatives. Then there are the small matters of GM using legislative corruption to bar the sale of Tesla cars, and the faulty ignition switch scandal. It will take years if not decades to repair the loss of goodwill. Car purchases and loyalty, like the stock market, are driven largely by emotion. It may not be fair and may not make logical sense, but it's the reality, and there's nothing anyone can do about it in the short term. If GM makes good on a strategy to transition to EVs, the situation will be very different in 25 years, as many car buyers will not remember the EV-1, auto bailout, or ignition switch disaster.

• Funny
Reactions: abasile and Drivin
We look "sideways" at GM because of their legislative and regulatory activity against Tesla being able to decide what business model to use to sell its product.

The rules for the "business model" have existed for a long time and GM, Ford and others have to follow them too.
Just because a new player wants to do something different, it doesn't mean that they are entitled to.
But nice attempt to blame GM for it.

"Hate" is a pretty strong word. I don't hate GM, and I hope the Bolt is a smashing success. More EVs all around.

With that said, I agree with TexasEV that GM's behavior in trying to legislatively prevent Tesla from selling its vehicles is offensive and corrosive. And for that reason I seriously doubt I will ever buy a car from GM. The other manufacturers aren't really any better, and I don't get the impression that they're treated any better on these forums than GM is.

"Hate" is a pretty strong word. I don't hate GM, and I hope the Bolt is a smashing success. More EVs all around.

With that said, I agree with TexasEV that GM's behavior in trying to legislatively prevent Tesla from selling its vehicles is offensive and corrosive. And for that reason I seriously doubt I will ever buy a car from GM. The other manufacturers aren't really any better, and I don't get the impression that they're treated any better on these forums than GM is.

I use a strong word because I believe it is true. People were sobbing when EV-1 was taken away and crushed.

And as a Honda fanatic myself, I see the same thing happening to Honda as the Takata airbag disaster becomes bigger and drags on. People are angry. Their cars are unsafe and/or have killed drivers, because Honda was the first to use the cheap Takata airbags. Between the deaths, massive inconvenience, and lack of transparency a lot of people have come to hate Honda and will never buy another Honda car.

I use a strong word because I believe it is true. People were sobbing when EV-1 was taken away and crushed.

And as a Honda fanatic myself, I see the same thing happening to Honda as the Takata airbag disaster becomes bigger and drags on. People are angry. Their cars are unsafe and/or have killed drivers, because Honda was the first to use the cheap Takata airbags. Between the deaths, massive inconvenience, and lack of transparency a lot of people have come to hate Honda and will never buy another Honda car.

I didn't know people hated Honda...

I dislike Honda because their design language is rubbish, and their vehicles are anemic, numb, and soulless. My wife's 2009 Civic (bought new) was just awful to drive...I would have rather walked.

The Civic Si I passed on for a VW GTi, back in the day, was alright though.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: RobStark
I always thought the anti-Tesla-doing-business-in-our-State efforts were mounted by Dealer Groups rather than GM itself. Dealer Groups have oiled and perfected the political channels for many decades State by State. That's where all the mischief is done. They don't need any direct help from GM Corporate, who better handles the Feds. But I could be wrong about this.
--

Reactions: X Yes?
Thanks for being honest in a Tesla Fanboy forum. It takes a real man.

I love my Tesla too....however I have received strong resistance to the comments you guys are making. Its almost like any adverse Tesla comments - even if they are true - are like forum kryptonite.

Funny, since people have been complaining about their Tesla's here on this forum since the Roadster days. I guess we have a lot of real men immune to kryptonite.

Lets be brutally honest guys: people just hate GM. HATE.

If the Bolt were a Ford, Nissan, or Honda, 95% of the diehards here would be rolling out the red carpet guaranteed.

The fact is that GM murdered the EV-1 despite pleas from the people who leased them, then proceeded to profit for years from huge gas-guzzling SUVs, and then took a massive government bailout to survive a bankruptcy reorganization. In the process, they alienated everyone from tree-huggers to fiscal conservatives. Then there are the small matters of GM using legislative corruption to bar the sale of Tesla cars, and the faulty ignition switch scandal. It will take years if not decades to repair the loss of goodwill. Car purchases and loyalty, like the stock market, are driven largely by emotion. It may not be fair and may not make logical sense, but it's the reality, and there's nothing anyone can do about it in the short term. If GM makes good on a strategy to transition to EVs, the situation will be very different in 25 years, as many car buyers will not remember the EV-1, auto bailout, or ignition switch disaster.

The majority does not "Hate GM" or their products.
As Tesla owners here have stated, the New GM's products are generally very good.

GM produced the EV-1 at a loss and cancelled the program because there was little market at the time for them.

GM did take a massive bailout and repaid most of it, Tesla continues to also grab Government money.

Tesla's inability to sell in certain states is the result of state laws, not GM. As a business, they have every right to fight for a level playing field. GM would likely welcome the ability to open their own company owned stores in the prohibited states.

Last edited: