Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Entire Supercharging Team Fired?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
News yesterday is that the entire 500+ person word-wide SC team has been let go. That is alarming. Why would Elon sack the execs and all the employees of this important part of Tesla's business? Could Tesla be selling the SC network off to a third party? Opinions? Other theories?

29226473368_d3a9e965d2_c.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
they will continue to lead the fast charging space and my friend wants to be a part of that mission.
Is your friend convinced that Tesla will lead the fast charging space? What is making them so sure given how fickle the leadership is on this topic and how they want to be an AI/Robotics company that spends $10B a year in R&D on those efforts while questioning a <$1B a year "spend" on DCFC?

What does your friend say about @alexgr 's claim that the supercharger division was corrupt and getting kickbacks and could have been under a federal investigation so that's why they were fired?

Others may do that, but my friend will not do that. With all of Tesla's faults, they will continue to lead the fast charging space and my friend wants to be a part of that mission.

It’s too bad that your friend is so loyal to Tesla, but they’d throw him out with yesterday’s garbage without hesitation. I guess that’s what good little minions are for.

If I were his friend I’d tell him to think about this. They threw him out over nothing. He got hired back. But what’s preventing them from doing the same again?

Reactions: texas_star_TM3
It’s too bad that your friend is so loyal to Tesla, but they’d throw him out with yesterday’s garbage without hesitation. I guess that’s what good little minions are for.

If I were his friend I’d tell him to think about this. They threw him out over nothing. He got hired back. But what’s preventing them from doing the same again?
If they feel confident in their abilities, if Tesla does the same thing again, they can probably easily find a new job at another charge provider at that time. The core differentiator is they still feel like Tesla will remain the best charger provider, so they would rather stay at Tesla, especially given Tesla apparently found them important enough to rehire.

It's not about being "loyal," but rather a non-emotional choice of employer. If there was another charge provider that later beats Tesla at its game, then they probably would leave Tesla.

Reactions: DrGriz and gt2690b
If they feel confident in their abilities, if Tesla does the same thing again, they can probably easily find a new job at another charge provider at that time. The core differentiator is they still feel like Tesla will remain the best charger provider, so they would rather stay at Tesla, especially given Tesla apparently found them important enough to rehire.

It's not about being "loyal," but rather a non-emotional choice of employer. If there was another charge provider that later beats Tesla at its game, then they probably would leave Tesla.
Shouldn’t your job decision be based on pay/benefits/room to grow instead of “my employer is leading in the field” ? I mean working for EA wouldn’t be so bad if you make 40% more and have an outlook for a promotion versus (hypothetically) staying at Tesla for less pay and no promotion?

“My employer is leading in the field” ain’t paying for bills…

Reactions: gforce2002

But here is the reality. If the new slimmed SuperCharger team deployed half the sites in the next 6 months as they did in the past 6 months would not Tesla still be the leader? I am not saying what Elon did was good in any way, but even with a hand behind their back I bet Tesla will still out perform the other networks.

Reactions: KJD
Shouldn’t your job decision be based on pay/benefits/room to grow instead of “my employer is leading in the field” ? I mean working for EA wouldn’t be so bad if you make 40% more and have an outlook for a promotion versus (hypothetically) staying at Tesla for less pay and no promotion?

“My employer is leading in the field” ain’t paying for bills…
I'm presuming pay and benefits are similar or comparable, in which case which one is leading might be the deciding factor. And if it is about pay it's possible Tesla still has better pay/benefits (especially if you consider the stock options).

The problem with other charge networks is most of them have yet to demonstrate profitability (although NEVI funding will help a lot if they can win contracts), while Tesla is able to piggy back on car sales.

Last edited:
Reactions: MD70
But here is the reality. If the new slimmed SuperCharger team deployed half the sites in the next 6 months as they did in the past 6 months would not Tesla still be the leader? I am not saying what Elon did was good in any way, but even with a hand behind their back I bet Tesla will still out perform the other networks.
In the near term, it's unlikely for the relative ratings to change much, even with the slower Tesla expansion. My point was more looking much further in the future, when there might be some new players also (for example the Ionna network). And it's to push back on the notion you must be a "loyal" "minion" to want to stick with Tesla for now.

Reactions: dhrivnak

Sounds like landmen to me!
Well, the actual design of the supercharger sites is farmed out to a third party engineering company and the construction is done by local firms. So the job of the Tesla folks is to acquire high-value sites and manage the process.

Tesla had 500 people just acquiring high-value sites? I think you're being pretty disingenuous about what the team did.
I think he meant the newly rehired team is focused on this task. 500 + team was probably there for future location development, studies, lease acquisitions, permitting, EPC negotiations, and eventual placing into service. They’ve probably thought they’re done with the real estate side of things and will eventually outfit to 250kw chargers at high value locations that can take the load required in 250kw stations.

Reactions: texas_star_TM3