Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Elon saying that FSD will achieve either level 4 or 5 this year (last year).

After the recall in 2023, Tesla called FSD Beta a SAE Level 2 driver support feature.

Tesla stating FSD is level 2 to California in 2021:

Also, during AI day, the SAE levels were mentioned by multiple people, including Elon.

Will that suffice?

V11 was categorized by Tesla corporate, not just Elon, as Level 2 just last year because it is. It meets the definition of an SAE L2 system and doesn't meet L3-5, yet.

I feel like you understand this, but are just being difficult.

As I said, neither Elon nor Tesla will use the SAE specifications to their FSD

“I think we are very close to achieving full self-driving without human supervision… I think we will achieve full self driving, depending on what level you call it, four or five, I think later this year.”

It does, however, still allow customers to buy the promise of the "Full Self-Driving" (FSD) set of features for their vehicles which currently fit the SAE definition of Level 2 partial autonomy.

It is not Elon or Tesla but others interpretation of their responses. They have not classified their FSD per SAE levels

I usually have it set to 25% above posted speed and re-adjust as needed when I was using V11
There's a new Automatic Set Speed Offset (toggle from Autopilot settings) that shows up as AUTO instead of a number for the set speed. It effectively is a 85mph set speed (capped to 50% above posted speed).

12.x will decide the appropriate speed to go generally slower than AUTO/85mph or your percentage offset. This is different from 11.x's behavior of trying to match the set speed. If you do have a numeric set speed, scrolling down will still enforce the lower limit, but scrolling up doesn't mean it'll necessarily speed up.

It is not Elon or Tesla but others interpretation of their responses. They have not classified their FSD per SAE levels
So you didn't read tesla.com link I posted that says FSD Beta is a SAE level 2 driver assist program?

1711573659012.png

There's a new Automatic Set Speed Offset (toggle from Autopilot settings) that shows up as AUTO instead of a number for the set speed. It effectively is a 85mph set speed (capped to 50% above posted speed).

12.x will decide the appropriate speed to go generally slower than AUTO/85mph or your percentage offset. This is different from 11.x's behavior of trying to match the set speed. If you do have a numeric set speed, scrolling down will still enforce the lower limit, but scrolling up doesn't mean it'll necessarily speed up.
That's clear, thanks.

Now, I'm trying to figure out if v12.3.1 fixed (or improved) the bad auto-speed behavior from v12.3. I can't find any info so far. Looks like curve hitting behavior has improved somewhat, although I could be wrong on that too, since I never had v12.3.

So you didn't read tesla.com link I posted that says FSD Beta is a SAE level 2 driver assist program?

View attachment 1032755
Thanks for that screenshot. I missed that one.

• Funny
Reactions: Daniel in SD
Isn’t it interesting that for most, in your teen years your excitement to drive was palpable, now that level of emotion is connected to the latest version of FSD.
I was just telling my wife yesterday that my hobby used to be cars and all about driving them (on track days, through canyons, etc.) whereas today it's still about cars but all about how to not drive.

Here come the people who will tell me that with an L2 system, I'm still the driver.

Back to my 12.3.1 bug reports:

3 disengagements today:
1. Car was supposed to move from parking lot to make right turn to go straight to destination. It made right turn to the median then entered the designated left turn lane to go to the parking lot in the left. The two parking were very close. This is the second disengagent at the same place

2. Right turn too close to a big pick up truck park close to the intersection. Disengaged for caution.

3. Disengaged itself when the wheel touched my hand during unprotected right turn. Too sensitive with wheel touched by driver. Unprotected right turn to high speed road is still not smooth.

Sounds like something got lost in translation in implementing Elon's mandates. Folks on Reddit are taking delivery with FSD Beta 12.3.2.1 pre-installed, but no demonstration from the delivery staff.
Or this is just standard operating procedure with Elon Musk? Presumably the original mandate of install, activate, ride before handing over received valid pushback from various teams, so they came up with a better solution that can be implemented "immediately" to achieve the intent of getting customers to realize how well FSD actually works.

I'm actually impressed at the speed Tesla made 12.x available to new vehicles and service loaners.