Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

General Discussion: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is kinda of neat as well, though they need to update all the models that are delayed:

What EV to buy electric car list of all BEVs past present & future

One thing I notice looking at Baic and BYD, the cars are clearly not comparable to the longer range US EVs like the upcoming Leaf, the Bolt and the Model 3. So its important to put that into perspective. The prices are also not in the luxury tier either. They are not the worst cars made but they have a long ways to go.

Global sales with Links:

GLOBAL EV SALES DATA | WORLD EV SALES HISTORY

Great links, thanks @Reciprocity. I know the others less well, and on the first link I was confused if they were mixing BEVs and PHEVs, but they were wildly optimistic on the Tesla dates! Model Y in 2018?? Roadster in 2019??? Dreaming!

Courtesy of Roger Cohen writing in the NYT yesterday:

"Of one thing I am sure: As Peter Drucker, the management consultant and author, put it, 'The greatest danger in turbulent times is not the turbulence, but to act with yesterday’s logic.'”

Source: Opinion | Airbnb Is the New NATO
Man, that's a quote to live by.

I think the AI/software dev side of Tesla is probably divided into 2 different team.

- 1 team, being led by Andrej Karpathy, working on the research side, trying different stuff, innovating.

- 1 team, focused on making incremental updates, improving gradually the current software, UI/UX, implementing what the research team has created/found out.

• Helpful
Reactions: Lessmog
I think the AI/software dev side of Tesla is probably divided into 2 different team.

- 1 team, being led by Andrej Karpathy, working on the research side, trying different stuff, innovating.

- 1 team, focused on making incremental updates, improving gradually the current software, UI/UX, implementing what the research team has created/found out.

I'd say a third team too, which is focused on their custom hardware (and perhaps AP hardware in general such as cameras, radar, etc), to enable the second and perhaps first teams to push towards even better implementations, etc.

Hang on a second. If they didn't get that negative perception from the press then where did they get it?

And where did the press get their perception? Talking to financial and business types at conferences, seminars, cocktail parties, etc.

No point trying to parse out that chicken and egg. Journalists have no better long term vision than their readers. But for the first time in Tesla’s history, it doesn’t require much vision for anyone — journalists and their readers — to recognize the positive Tesla story.

If people with conflicting agendas control (or greatly influence) the press, then we still won’t see anything close to balanced reporting. But if the reason for such historically bad press is poor general perception, then over the next 3-6 months the tenor of Tesla reporting will change significantly.

Reactions: 1101011
Great links, thanks @Reciprocity. I know the others less well, and on the first link I was confused if they were mixing BEVs and PHEVs, but they were wildly optimistic on the Tesla dates! Model Y in 2018?? Roadster in 2019??? Dreaming!
Definitely needs updating but it's got a lot of info on cars I never heard of and specs. Links to sales data as well.

Reactions: jkirkwood001
According to market research firm Factual Inc Tesla customers most visited the following competitor's dealers.

1. Jaguar Dealer
  2. Land Rover Dealer
  3. MINI Dealer
  4. Volvo Dealer
  5. Audi Dealer
  6. Volkswagen Dealer
  7. Porsche Dealer
  8. BMW Dealer
  9. Lexus Dealer
  10. Honda Dealer
What Tesla's Typical Shopper Looks Like (Hint: They Like Mickey Mouse)

Despite Prius being the #1 Model 3 trade in people didn't visit Toyota to look at 2018 Prius or any other Toyota.

Despite LEAF being #5 Model 3 trade in people didn't visit Nissan to look at 2018 LEAF or any other Nissan.

Despite Accord and Civic being #3 and #4 on Model trade in list Honda is only number 10 on the cross shopping list.

I take it the most cross shopped vehicle for Model X is the Range Rover PHEV. I thought it was the Cayenne PHEV.

I wouldn't assume all those luxury brands are being cross shopped PHEV vs EV. Could be a lot of ICE vs EV - many people are just looking for luxury and style (both of which are in the eye of the beholder), so I would expect a fair number of S/X buyers were cross shopping against ICE rather then PHEV.

I wouldn't assume all those luxury brands are being cross shopped PHEV vs EV. Could be a lot of ICE vs EV - many people are just looking for luxury and style (both of which are in the eye of the beholder), so I would expect a fair number of S/X buyers were cross shopping against ICE rather then PHEV.

But the PHEV doesn't sacrifice either luxury or style. And it generally doesn't cost more or at least not significantly more after incentives. But we can't know for sure unless we ask.

The only one that sacrifices luxury in their premium PHEV vs ICE version is Cadillac. And that is not on the list.

The Cadillac CT6 PHEV is really a POS. PHEV and gets 25 MPG after the traction battery runs out of juice.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
Status
Not open for further replies.