Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

General Discussion: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If someone here wanted to dig in on this further, there is some remnants of code and other stuff scattered around using the name 'martytripp'.

Timestamps on most of it show creation either last year or the year before.

Follow the link at the bottom of this tweet for one example.

Bonnie Norman on Twitter

These are Notes from an absolute beginner with Linux systems and networking. Nothing to do with Programming. If he’s at that competence level, no wonder hè got caught quickly. In fact a bit weird that he’d get a job with that kind of acces in the first place.

Funny you mention The New York Times, remember this:
Stalled on the E.V. Highway
And the other side of the story:
Tesla's Gotcha Blog Catches New York Times Reporter Driving In Circles

You might find the following an educational read:
Elon Musk and the Corporate Controlled Media

Some interesting highlights:

And some 'off the top rope' New York Times for the record:

How The Iraq War Still Haunts New York Times

But at least the Wall Street Journal has always been fair and honest regarding Tesla news hasn't it?..........:confused::eek:

Perhaps faith in those publications and their skewed version of Elon/TSLA's mission can help explain how people(trolls) gravitate to a belief that financial gain is more valuable than a sustainable planet/future. I find a particular Joseph Campbell quote to be much more fitting of Elon in my belief system:

josephcampbell1.jpg

Edit (off topic) - for anyone who has not yet watched the Bill Moyers interview series with Joseph Campbell that recently became available on Netflix, I do sincerely recommend it as possibly the best interview series I have ever seen. In fact, it has changed the way I think and look at things, and we are watching the 6-part series for the 2nd time now. Simply an amazing human being. Here is the link:

Joseph Campbell and the Power of Myth | Netflix

Last edited:
Assuming these are all the same guy (and there's no guarantee any of them are)

If someone here wanted to dig in on this further, there is some remnants of code and other stuff scattered around using the name 'martytripp'.

Timestamps on most of it show creation either last year or the year before.

Follow the link at the bottom of this tweet for one example.

Bonnie Norman on Twitter

Not all about network traffic: Disqus Profile - martytripp

The two non-gun related things look like references for those who don't actually know what they're doing. Especially if they're uploading it to scribd to get to it later (versus any number of other ways/places). Not really programming but just basic figuring out network stuff and network traffic snooping for dummies. If he knew what he was doing he wouldn't need to upload those to scribd.

The second reference found on Disqus further goes to indicate that it looks like he's inexperienced, but was leveraging the power of the internet to learn just enough to do what he wanted. Though in this case, it's doing work with an Arduino Yun ... more likely this was hobby stuff trying to learn to program, but it's not impossible that he was trying to build a device to skim data off of Wifi. I think this is more of a stretch versus just installing some spyware kits on other workstations etc.

Unfortunately in this case, just about anyone smart enough to use google and youtube can figure out how to do the things he's allegedly done, so he can be both an idiot and pull off those things. If anything this supports the idea he doesn't know how to program software, but that doesn't mean he can't use prebuilt spyware kits or software like Wireshark (which has legit uses in networking) to do his snooping.

But since we can't be sure any of these are the same person, it's probably better to stop "outing" random internet profiles that have the same/similar name, to avoid dragging in any innocents. I'm pretty sure the Tesla legal team are capable of doing their own research.

These are Notes from an absolute beginner with Linux systems and networking. Nothing to do with Programming. If he’s at that competence level, no wonder hè got caught quickly. In fact a bit weird that he’d get a job with that kind of acces in the first place.

Having worked in IT for some time ... hiring unqualified people happens all the time. Either they know someone / find a website who can give tell them what questions will be asked and they can memorize the answers, or they just do the same for generic relevant questions, or the people in charge of hiring are just incompetent (especially common when IT managers do the hiring, as many IT managers don't actually know the things their people are responsible for, they're IT Managers, not IT Managers). Of course, he might have been qualified for his particular role but not capable of anything greater, as well.

But was he the one who just "went on record" to say that Lopez had offered to pay him and that he had transmitted Tesla IP to her? This was a weirdly worded tweet. Who knows, maybe it was just a clumsy tweet. Or it could be a bit of fishing.

Clearly Mr Tripp thinks the tweet was about him, as do apparently enough other people that he felt a need to make a statement on his GoFundMe page. Which btw, I’ve lost a little faith in humanity that a thief and liar can get that many people to give him money.

I have no idea who it is, but I’m not at this point inclined to think Elon made that up just to go fish. Not his style.

Reactions: neroden
I agree..

What current news is causing the stock to fall?

Anyone?
I think it's the news that the attempted market manipulation to cause a "short burn of the century" failed :( So players are taking exits.
"7000 cars, 7 days" -> Done.
'Who likes short shorts?" -> Done.
Pick-up truck pump -> Done.
"They have about three weeks before their short position explodes" -> Done.

Another repeated lie or deceitful tweet just noticed on Elon's twitter page:
"For sure! When doing US govt crash safety testing, the Model S roof was so strong, it broke their testing machine."
-> It was a coincidence; not proven to be causal. Many cars have tested stronger roofs than Model S roof.
Elon should be careful pointing fingers at others when his track record is so sketchy :( What about the glass roof that is standard now?
You can't really blame this on stupidity; he has landed rockets!

But here is the thing I can't wrap my head around.
Q1 SH letter headline: "Model 3 production hit 2270/week in April for the 3rd straight week over 2000"
Q2 delivery note:
a) "GA4, our new General Assembly line for Model 3, was responsible for roughly 20% of Model 3s produced last week"
b) Model 3 production (28,578)

1. If Tesla just kept the Model 3 lines running without 10 days shutdown at the 2270/week rate, it could produce more (29510)
2. In the last week, it produced 5000 cars, 20% in GA4. So the rest of the lines produced 4k/week. Tesla could produce same number of cars just running GA2 & GA3 at 4k/week for only 7 weeks.
3. Let's subtract the 5k from last week, and some more for the tent production in the other 1-2 weeks (say 500).
So Tesla produced a mere 2307 cars a week for the other 10 weeks in GA2 and GA3!
That is abysmal, considering they shut down the lines for two different weeks to (supposedly) increase line speed!
With that kind of improvement, why bother with shutting the lines at all? It could produce all those without skipping the brake and roll test.

This calculation really shows that there wasn't any point of the tent at all. If Tesla can just run the GA 2&3 at 4k/week for 12-13 weeks, it can produce 40k-44k Model 3 in Q3. How many think that is going to happen? I guess I should start a poll :)

Last edited:
I think it's the news that the attempted market manipulation to cause a "short burn of the century" failed :( So players are taking exits.
"7000 cars, 7 days" -> Done.
'Who likes short shorts?" -> Done.
Pick-up truck pump -> Done.
"They have about three weeks before their short position explodes" -> Done.

Another repeated lie or deceitful tweet just noticed on Elon's twitter page:
"For sure! When doing US govt crash safety testing, the Model S roof was so strong, it broke their testing machine."
-> It was a coincidence; not proven to be causal. Many cars have tested stronger roofs than Model S roof.
Elon should be careful pointing fingers at others when his track record is so sketchy :( What about the glass roof that is standard now?
You can't really blame this on stupidity; he has landed rockets!

But here is the thing I can't wrap my head around.
Q1 SH letter headline: "Model 3 production hit 2270/week in April for the 3rd straight week over 2000"
Q2 delivery note:
a) "GA4, our new General Assembly line for Model 3, was responsible for roughly 20% of Model 3s produced last week"
b) Model 3 production (28,578)

1. If Tesla just kept the Model 3 lines running without 10 days shutdown at the 2270/week rate, it could produce more (29510)
2. In the last week, it produced 5000 cars, 20% in GA4. So the rest of the lines produced 4k/week. Tesla could produce same number of cars just running GA2 & GA3 at 4k/week for only 7 weeks.
3. Let's subtract the 5k from last week, and some more for the tent production in the other 1-2 weeks (say 500).
So Tesla produced a mere 2307 cars a week for the other 10 weeks in GA2 and GA3!
That is abysmal, considering they shut down the lines for two different weeks to (supposedly) increase line speed!
With that kind of improvement, why bother with shutting the lines at all? It could produce all those without skipping the brake and roll test.

This calculation really shows that there wasn't any point of the tent at all. If Tesla can just run the GA 2&3 at 4k/week for 12-13 weeks, it can produce 40k-44k Model 3 in Q3. How many think that is going to happen? I guess I should start a poll :)
As I've mentioned before, I think GA2 is down for upgrades. If Tesla did 2270/wk with GA2 + GA3, doing 4000 on GA3 alone in the final week is a massive improvement.

And here's a poll: 3Q18 Model 3 Production - Take 2

As I've mentioned before, I think GA2 is down for upgrades. If Tesla did 2270/wk with GA2 + GA3, doing 4000 on GA3 alone in the final week is a massive improvement.

And here's a poll: 3Q18 Model 3 Production - Take 2

IMHO, that is pure speculation and wishful thinking. If GA2 Model 3 line was down in the last sprint week, Elon and Tesla would not have missed to gloat about that :) There is not a chance that Tesla would shutdown GA2 for the sprint week, while at the same time pulling all nighters and skipping critical safety testing. More likely, GA2 is not for Model 3 or doesn't exist.

• Funny
Reactions: ZsoZso and Teslie
IMHO, that is pure speculation and wishful thinking. If GA2 Model 3 line was down in the last sprint week, Elon and Tesla would not have missed to gloat about that :) There is not a chance that Tesla would shutdown GA2 for the sprint week, while at the same time pulling all nighters and skipping critical safety testing. More likely, GA2 is not for Model 3 or doesn't exist.
Tesla has stated they have three production lines for the Model 3, including the tent. You may think Tesla would lie about something like that, but I don't. It would definitely leak that they only had two lines, and Musk would go to prison.

And I don't think Tesla would gloat about having a production line that was basically unusable to produce cars in meaningful volume without substantial upgrades. He has however gloated about how awsome the team has been in improving the GA3 line, as well as how awesome GA4 is.

Basically, I think the GA2 shutdown is the reason the tent exists. Tesla probably realized they would never be able to hit 5000/wk on GA3 alone, so shutting down GA2 for months would screw them if they didn't think outside the box.

Last edited:
The ignore button works wonders.

When good people do nothing, the evil prevails.

Ignoring is in troll's intent and best interest.
By ignoring you are removing yourself from the debate.
You are leaving the uninitiated unprotected and trolls are free to seed their bad meme.
Ignoring the trolls is causing harm.
There is no other way to win a war than fight.

Tesla has stated they have three production lines for the Model 3, including the tent. You may think Tesla would lie about something like that, but I don't. It would definitely leak that they only had two lines, and Musk would go to prison.

And I don't think Tesla would gloat about having a production line that was basically unusable to produce cars in meaningful volume without substantial upgrades. He has however gloated about how awsome the team has been in improving the GA3 line, as well as how awesome GA4 is.

OK, fair enough. I didn't remember Tesla said GA2 is for Model 3. So, your theory is that GA2 wasn't producing much. Then, it was also very likely not producing much early in Q2. Therefore, the argument I presented holds. Whether the 4000/week and 2270/week were from one or two lines is not so important.

from Q2 delivery note:
GA4, our new General Assembly line for Model 3, was responsible for roughly 20% of Model 3s produced last week, with quality from that line being as good as our regular GA3 line. We expect that GA3 alone can reach a production rate of 5,000 Model 3s per week soon, but GA4 helped to get us there faster and will also help to exceed that rate.

There is no mention that GA3 was the only other line. But if it was, it makes even less sense to build a tent line. Should have just finished the GA2 line. And why would the line that is already operational be numbered 3 while the one being setup is number 2? Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

I think it is very telling that Lopez has retweeted people saying that she would never pay/bribe a source, but she has not actually denied it herself. So she isn't staying silent, she just isn't denying it. I know that doesn't prove guilt, but it sure makes her look guilty. (Just like taking the 5th when testifying on the stand.)

It indeed is quite suspicious that although she has been asked by Elon twice about that matter she kept silent and responded instead about Elon searching her Facebook history (which is not true looking at his response) but obviously and as I assume purposely did not answer his question.

Thats certainly not a coincidence or overlook. Its a strong accusation he brought up and as a journalist you don't want that to be out there without your answer.

The only reason for that behaviors is that denying it could be used against her in a legal case and she cannot rule out that evidence will be presented from Tesla. Likely an advise from her lawyer to stay silent. Not be able to rule out that evidence is out there would imply the accusation to be not wrong.

I agree that Elons accusations without presenting truth will fire back and create a really bad impression on him. Having said that I do expect that evidence or similar will be presented sooner or later. Tripps case could be an opportunity for that.

If Lopez did bribe Tripp and has a connection to Chanos as claimed from herself than spreading this uncertainty and doubt (FUD) in "the other direction" can be a valid and working new tactic.

Opening a legal case would create a level of certainty that illegal methods are likely in play and could force the Hedge Funds out who follow Chanos actions assuming he is a decent business man.

OK, fair enough. I didn't remember Tesla said GA3 is for Model 3. So, your theory is that GA3 wasn't producing much. Then, it was also very likely not producing much early in Q2. Therefore, the argument I presented holds. Whether the 4000/week and 2270/week were from one or two lines is not so important.

from Q2 delivery note:

There is no mention that GA3 was the only other line. But if it was, it makes even less sense to build a tent line. Should have just finished the GA2 line. And why would the line that is already operational be numbered 3 while the one being setup is number 2? Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.
I think *GA2* is down for upgrades. Most likely a version of the alien dreadnought gone wrong. Maybe they set up GA3 similarly to GA2 at the start, but then were limited by resources to improve both. So they focused their efforts on GA3, while also limping along with the poorly performing GA2 line. Or maybe GA3 was set up a sufficient amount of time after GA2 that they had already realized that there were issues with GA2, scaled back the alien dreadnought-ambitions and made the line more modular and easier to improve.

And sure, GA2 likely wasn't producing much in early Q2 either. Maybe 500 or 750 Model 3 per week. But that would still mean that the GA3 line was improved from 1520-1770/wk to 4000/wk in three months. That's still a massive improvement.

Last edited:
Some people disagree with how he’s conducting himself, but not one of those people have ever walked a mile in his shoes. And until they do, it’s just another opinion in a sea of opinions that carry no weight.

Should we then close this board and go home? Looks like we can't have any opinions, especially those that criticise Elon.

If the situation were at all what you are describing, that would be one thing and your post would have meaning. But it is not the situation.

An ex-Tesla employee, said they were paid for Tesla IP by a third party.
Elon, asked the party if that was true.
You know what that is called? Journalism.
A journalist gets information, then corroborates it. Is asking for corroboration or denial always an accusation?

Elon is not a journalist. And good journalists would ask those questions privately before publishing. Isn't Lopez not verifying her stories with Tesla part of this drama? Now Elon is doing the same.

Reactions: mmd
I like how certain people (like FireBirdAlpha, YasB, Seesaw, sweter etc) here want from Musk that he just take it without retaliation for what he perceives as lies about Tesla from media.

Yeeeah, bad Musk, bad Musk, how he dares to defend himself!

You sure ramped up the rhetoric and only after being a member for one day.
Maybe he (FireBirdAlpha) is actually Tripp! ;)

Elon is not a journalist. And good journalists would ask those questions privately before publishing. Isn't Lopez not verifying her stories with Tesla part of this drama? Now Elon is doing the same.

0. 'Being a journalist ' has no impact on proper questions (not a licensed career). Does the title bequeath rights mere citizens do not have?

1. You don't know whether he asked in private (Lopez did not return our calls within 72 hours)

1.5 News journalist ask questions live

2. Nothing supports Lopez having a second source for the base material before publishing it as truth. (given Tesla and Tripp's statements that the numbers were bogus/made up, it seems highly unlikely)

3. Elon has not stated anything as fact (other than having a source and the contents of public documents)

It indeed is quite suspicious that although she has been asked by Elon twice about that matter she kept silent and responded instead about Elon searching her Facebook history (which is not true looking at his response) but obviously and as I assume purposely did not answer his question.

Tesla undoubtedly wants Tripp to be pursued criminally, and you can bet they are talking to the Nevada AG. Anyone with half a brain who is connected to Tripp is going to shut up.

Status
Not open for further replies.