Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I got my new Autopilot defeat device

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've received 2 strikes in the past year with no warnings whatsoever. So apparently yes but it's rare. It feels like computer lag but I don't know. Although in my case I was notified immediately and FSD was also "disabled for drive" so the bug is apparent. I've not seen it not show until the next drive. We're you using it immediately before parking?
I was driving in the mountains so I wasn’t, did use it before the exit, so 5 minutes before parking. Also I just use AP not FSD.

Believe, any attempt to block the camera (cover) will quickly result in a strike.

I was driving for almost 12 hours straight with a blocked camera without receiving a strike. It only speed when parking at the fifth and final supercharger.

Don't know if anybody has had the same experience, but here's what happened. I received 4 strikes due to the nagging on version 2023.44.30.5.1. The nagging occurs even if I glance at the route for 2 seconds to check if I should take the exit or not. I decided to purchase a webcam cover and covered the interior camera of my Model Y RWD 2023. So I already reached 4 strikes, then 3 days ago I started a long 12-hour drive. Almost arriving at my destination, I parked at the supercharger to charge up. When I switched to park, it informed me of a week ban. The weird thing is, I never missed a signal to touch the wheel during all those hours of driving. And it didn’t give a the screen with autopilot disabled. Has anyone experienced something similar?
I'm curious about when you say:

I never missed a signal to touch the wheel during all those hours of driving.

Does that mean your hands weren't on the wheel while driving and you only touched it when prompted?

Joe

The new update makes autopilot pretty much unusable. I've gotten warnings while applying torque to the wheel and looking at the road.

I'm seeing more Tesla's pulled over on highways these days. Whenever I pass one, I'm thinking they are resetting the autopilot. They tried to make things safer but made things much more dangerous for everyone.

The comments along the lines of " I have an auto defeat device! I drive manually! haha!!" ... wow lol. Dad Joke level-up.

For those wondering about sun glasses and how an IR camera works for surface temps and such. Without going into too much technical detail, the IR camera may see through some visually opaque materials. For example, a black plastic trash bag is nearly 100% transparent to IR, though opaque to visual light, but glass is nearly opaque to an IR camera. So, some sunglasses or even regular glasses made of actual glass may not be transparent to the IR camera.

That said, if I were designing a system to monitor a drivers eye, I would use a multispectral (a sensor that can see multiple spectrums or multiple sensors working together) system so I could monitor eye movement effectively in most if not all situations. I would guess that Tesla engineers are at least that smart.

The comments along the lines of " I have an auto defeat device! I drive manually! haha!!" ... wow lol. Dad Joke level-up.

For those wondering about sun glasses and how an IR camera works for surface temps and such. Without going into too much technical detail, the IR camera may see through some visually opaque materials. For example, a black plastic trash bag is nearly 100% transparent to IR, though opaque to visual light, but glass is nearly opaque to an IR camera. So, some sunglasses or even regular glasses made of actual glass may not be transparent to the IR camera.

That said, if I were designing a system to monitor a drivers eye, I would use a multispectral (a sensor that can see multiple spectrums or multiple sensors working together) system so I could monitor eye movement effectively in most if not all situations. I would guess that Tesla engineers are at least that smart.
Makes sense.

But, wait, that's not an IR camera in the cabin, is it? If so, where do they keep the cryogenic cooler?

Joe

Makes sense.

But, wait, that's not an IR camera in the cabin, is it? If so, where do they keep the cryogenic cooler?

Joe
Only the oldest and most sensitive IR cameras need some form of cooling. A modern camera that operates in the NIR range of the IR region of the EM spectrum (in most cases) does not require cooling. The details are not as precise, but more than sufficient for monitoring eye/head movement in low-light conditions.

FYI a 1/4" piece of black electrical tape fixes the problem.
Thank the original AP2 cars produced between Sep 2016 and Sep 2017 if this works. No wiring to add the interior camera for us.
…While you can do this with your grip at 12:00, it's a lot more natural with your grip at the upper or lower side. Let the weight of your hand be supported by the whee…
I hate that this is true. Tesla has converted me from a two handed driver to a one handed driver.

Thank the original AP2 cars produced between Sep 2016 and Sep 2017 if this works. No wiring to add the interior camera for us.

I hate that this is true. Tesla has converted me from a two handed driver to a one handed driver.
Like I've said before - the fact that you need to learn how to satisfy the driver monitoring software means it's not well designed.

So your are telling me the future of FSD is not full self driving
Come on, that seems like grasping for a gotcha. I think it's pretty clear what was meant.

No one wants to get to unsupervised operation, allowing phone you said whatever, more than Elon and the Tesla autopilot team.

In the meantime, yes it is clear that the current driver monitoring software is very good at catching you using the phone, and it hates that.

It is full self driving alright! The Tesla engineers are telling you that they have no confidence of not making mistakes which could kill you. So keep an eye out for me! If you don't, just drive yourselves and take all the risk with what you are doing while driving.
Chatgpt removed the double negative:

The Tesla engineers are expressing a lack of confidence in avoiding mistakes that could be life-threatening.

Reactions: pilotSteve