Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor Instructions for facelift bumper/fascia installation on nosecone Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The single most valuable mod on my S is the front camera kit. I don't object in paying the price to have redundancy - a backup. A half dozen times in the last two months, my front camera blanks out and does not come back without a reboot. My connections are clean and secure and protected from water penetration. I have extra camera and have swapped out the original. I am concerned that my PCB switch may be developing a problem, so I want a back up. Put me on your list of wanting another front cam switch. Just showing my support towards that effort. I will keep an eye open for your progress.

The front mounted rear camera kit is absolutely the best mod you can make to your S or X. Its wonderful. Its safety. Its superior to parking sensors. It complements parking sensors. It makes a difference every day.

A half dozen times in the last two months, my front camera blanks out and does not come back without a reboot.

That was happening to me also -- I believe it was water getting into the camera itself or the connections up front. The camera would blank out after or during rainstorms. But the rear camera would work fine, so I knew I didn't need to reboot anything. Once I swapped cameras, it stopped, but I sold that car not long after that, so I don't have long-term data if it was a permanent fix..

But this is a thread about the front fascia mod. ;)

Yes, I but I have one of those F camera we got more recently and swapped it out to test it. The blanking still occurred. And I sealed my camera cable to long cable connection quite a while back after someone discovered water was in fact getting in. Mine was fine, but I sealed it anyway. While I can, I would rather have a backup PCB. Partly because the way Murphy works. Are you old enough to know Murphy?

Hank
While we are talking about cameras anyway. What's your opinion on my thread here.
Rear view side cameras instead of side mirrors – or least as a supplement?

• Funny
Reactions: Plug Life
While I can, I would rather have a backup PCB.

Yes, and years before I bought my P85D to replace the P85+, I bought the last of the switches of the original run that Artsci found in his shop. I bought it "just in case".. being just in case mine broke, or I bought another car. Which actually happened. So I could sell my P85+ with the front camera mod, AND install another in my new car. And of course, I now have four different backup cameras as spares.

Partly because the way Murphy works. Are you old enough to know Murphy?

Chances are I'm older than you. AARP is already sending me membership applications. ;)

I've been giving this more thought and I think there's a simpler solution -- a single piece that fills the gap and curves from the top of the bumper v to the top of the hood. The OEM T assembly will be eliminated and the old T would be placed on the outer surface of the piece. The opening would be gone and the aerodynamics improved.

There's another Tesla in the shop at SDR for repairs that's also in line for the facelift upgrade but without a new hood. If I can get the owner's permission I may be able to work with SDR to get this piece designed.

Comments?

I've been giving this more thought and I think there's a simpler solution -- a single piece that fills the gap and curves from the top of the bumper v to the top of the hood. The OEM T assembly will be eliminated and the old T would be placed on the outer surface of the piece. The opening would be gone and the aerodynamics improved.

There's another Tesla in the shop at SDR for repairs that's also in line for the facelift upgrade but without a new hood. If I can get the owner's permission I may be able to work with SDR to get this piece designed.

Comments?

I would have to see a mock up of it. As long as it doesn't clash with the lines of the car I think it could work.. keep us posted!

\
Has anyone measured the T insert from Model X? It looks like it has a larger opening with a top edge more like the old style hood...

I am going to bump this question because it has yet to be explored...

The Model X gap is much closer the to the size of the gap in the pre-facelft Model S. Has anyone who has access the both measured for viability in this use case? It looks like it could be trimmed to fit.
Side-by-Side-S-and-X.jpg

Comments?

You you ever able to work on that car? I have the bumper sitting in my garage let me know if I can help in any way in this project.

Reactions: Joby619