Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is the glass distortion still a problem for ‘24 model

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I guess purchasers need to prioritize this pre-delivery inspection, and if it is "bad", do not accept delivery. Eventually, they will notice that.

WhenI picked up my Model S, the vermin made it so I had to accept delivery before I could get in the car. And you really need to drive the car to see the distortions because that’s when they distract you.

Reactions: MobileMikeV
WhenI picked up my Model S, the vermin made it so I had to accept delivery before I could get in the car. And you really need to drive the car to see the distortions because that’s when they distract you.
I wouldn't accept a $100K car without looking at it and approving it's condition. I wouldn't accept a house or really anything without seeing it. That's crazy. They can sell it to the next Joe.

Yeah, that’s a terrible policy. But one I’m sure is there for a reason
It was introduced as part as the "no contact" deliveries for COVID. The same applies to drop off deliveries (not done in delivery center). They don't want you driving the car or messing with the interior until you take delivery, given if you reject it, they would have to detail the interior again, which for quarter end rushes they don't have the time to deal with.

That said, if you are taking a delivery center delivery, if you insist on seeing the interior, most of the time they would eventually relent.

That said I haven't heard of cases where they let you drive the car before taking delivery. That would put miles on the car and may affect reassigning the VIN to other people.

That said I haven't heard of cases where they let you drive the car before taking delivery. That would put miles on the car and may affect reassigning the VIN to other people.

It's all just Tesla BS. When I picked up my 2023, they had to bring it from another SC because their computer system was wrong and it wasn't even in the SC that they told me to go to pick up the car. The sales rep was overjoyed that he was going to have to go pick up my new Model S and drive it back to that SC. They wouldn't let me go to get it from the other service center. He put on 40 joy riding miles on my car doing that trip. If I had rejected delivery, it would have had those extra 40 miles.

They do these things because they want to put you in a headlock with quality problems. They know once you own the car, then they can start with the BS that everyone gets a crappy car from them, so they aren't going to fix your crappy car.

Reactions: MobileMikeV
It's all just Tesla BS. When I picked up my 2023, they had to bring it from another SC because their computer system was wrong and it wasn't even in the SC that they told me to go to pick up the car. The sales rep was overjoyed that he was going to have to go pick up my new Model S and drive it back to that SC. They wouldn't let me go to get it from the other service center. He put on 40 joy riding miles on my car doing that trip. If I had rejected delivery, it would have had those extra 40 miles.
If you reject it and it has too many miles it may be put as an "inventory car" with some discount. But the major difference there is that it was driven by a Tesla employee, not a random person. During QC, the cars tend to be driven also by Tesla employees, so that is not unusual. Also when they do drop off delivery, not all of them are delivered in a carrier, sometimes they are driven to the customer by a local delivery center employee, so what your sales rep did is no different from that (just that you take delivery at an SC and not at your home).
They do these things because they want to put you in a headlock with quality problems. They know once you own the car, then they can start with the BS that everyone gets a crappy car from them, so they aren't going to fix your crappy car.
If you report it in the app as delivery issues within 100 miles and the first few days, Tesla tends to fix it (they did for the issues I found in my car). What Tesla doesn't want are people doing rejections on issues that are fixable and there are too many cars going around being rejected (especially true at end of quarter). Basically it's not that they aren't going to fix it (they are quite happy to fix it after you take delivery), it's that they don't want to slow down the quarterly delivery rate (because that is what the stock market cares about).

Last edited:
If you reject it and it has too many miles it may be put as an "inventory car" with some discount. But the major difference there is that it was driven by a Tesla employee, not a random person. During QC, the cars tend to be driven also by Tesla employees, so that is not unusual. Also when they do drop off delivery, not all of them are delivered in a carrier, sometimes they are driven to the customer by a local delivery center employee, so what your sales rep did is no different from that (just that you take delivery at an SC and not at your home).

If you report it in the app as delivery issues within 100 miles and the first few days, Tesla tends to fix it (they did for the issues I found in my car). What Tesla doesn't want are people doing rejections on issues that are fixable and there are too many cars going around being rejected (especially true at end of quarter). Basically it's not that they aren't going to fix it (they are quite happy to fix it after you take delivery), it's that they don't want to slow down the quarterly delivery rate (because that is what the stock market cares about).

You sound extremely experienced at making excuses for Tesla, so I won't try to win any arguments with you.

For the others, what he is describing was not my experience in any way shape or form with the Tesla's I owned. Yes, I know some service centers are better than others, but the ones in my area suck hard. And I have read plenty of stories very similar to my horrible, nightmarish experiences. Way too many in fact. Yet, for some, it's all rosy with their local service center. Just the fact that customer service varies so radically between regions for a company that owns every single one of them outright, and none of them have the excuse of being independently owned and operated, and how Tesla brags about eliminating horrible dealerships (which I have always had better experiences at dealerships compared to Tesla SC's), just shows you how broken Tesla is as a company.

You sound extremely experienced at making excuses for Tesla, so I won't try to win any arguments with you.

For the others, what he is describing was not my experience in any way shape or form with the Tesla's I owned. Yes, I know some service centers are better than others, but the ones in my area suck hard. And I have read plenty of stories very similar to my horrible, nightmarish experiences. Way too many in fact. Yet, for some, it's all rosy with their local service center. Just the fact that customer service varies so radically between regions for a company that owns every single one of them outright, and none of them have the excuse of being independently owned and operated, and how Tesla brags about eliminating horrible dealerships (which I have always had better experiences at dealerships compared to Tesla SC's), just shows you how broken Tesla is as a company.
I'm just putting my personal experience that directly contradicts your claim that Tesla doesn't fix delivery issues (in case it's not clear, mine were clear delivery issues like scratches on the glass, touchup required on front fascia, a cut rear heater element, which would not be covered under warranty otherwise).

It's a pretty well known fact they do fix it if you report it within 100 miles (you can do a search on the forums). I've suggested plenty of people to do that when they ask what to do about issues they found after delivery and I have yet to hear anyone reply back that Tesla refused to do so. Just don't put hundreds or thousands of miles on it and report it weeks later and expect Tesla to believe they were issues from car delivery.

Last edited:
Reactions: TBrownTX and vcor

Bingo.

My 2024 model S has the windshield distortion issue. Noticed wavy distortions on passenger side of windshield on delivered car. Had service replace (local service center is insanely backed up and took over a week to do the job.)

Replacement windshield is worse than original. Subtle distortions in my central field of view giving me headaches driving the car. I see double images on lights at night. Just submitted service ticket for this one, but there is a one month wait for my service center.

Service staff are very friendly but seem very, very understaffed.

😔

Reactions: TLLMRRJ
My 2024 model S has the windshield distortion issue. Noticed wavy distortions on passenger side of windshield on delivered car. Had service replace (local service center is insanely backed up and took over a week to do the job.)

Replacement windshield is worse than original. Subtle distortions in my central field of view giving me headaches driving the car. I see double images on lights at night. Just submitted service ticket for this one, but there is a one month wait for my service center.

Service staff are very friendly but seem very, very understaffed.

😔
Sorry to hear it. We’d have advised not to bother with the replacement. This issue is model wide, sadly, though it sounds like the replacement is beyond the norm. Ugh.

I totally understand as I have the same issue (March 2024 MSLR). I got used to ignore it overtime but can still be annoying at times. Seems to be a widespread issue even with other manufacturers. I checked random cars on the street and many have the windshield wavy distortion issue.

I filed a report with the NHTSA. I would recommend doing the same. If they get many similar complaints they may investigate and force Tesla to address with a recall.

Reactions: TLLMRRJ
I totally understand as I have the same issue (March 2024 MSLR). I got used to ignore it overtime but can still be annoying at times. Seems to be a widespread issue even with other manufacturers. I checked random cars on the street and many have the windshield wavy distortion issue.

I filed a report with the NHTSA. I would recommend doing the same. If they get many similar complaints they may investigate and force Tesla to address with a recall.
Recall will likely never happen, as it's certainly "within spec," - and, as you say, other manufacturers have the same or similar issue. I was in a Mercedes something last year in Italy, and from the back seat the distortion near the bottom of the windshield did my head in! If there are spot issues - as in one particular small area of the windshield with distortion (my 2021 had this, and had its windshield replaced), then definitely get it replaced. If it's just the usual consistent rippled area along the bottom, that's "normal" and no amount of replacements will solve it at this time.

I've mentioned before, but one only tends to notice it across the windshield. Directly in front of me I don't see it, but the area in front of the passenger I see it easily, when driving, especially when making right turns and looking across the windshield. The passenger experiences the same thing, and likewise does not tend to notice the distortion in front of them. Something about angles and refraction or who knows...

So it goes.

• Informative
Reactions: TBrownTX
I've never seen the distortion myself on my cars, friends, or loaners and I think I'm fairly observant. Ok, one idea, could it be a side effect of owners using polarized glasses or glasses with special coatings? I do wear glasses, but not polarized. Polarized lenses seem to magnify slight glass imperfections.

Reactions: DerbyDave
I am a long time owner of a M3P. Love the car, but I want something more reasonable for long trips and going up to the snow. I sat in a 23’ Model S today, and noticed some minor distortion in the driver side window. Doing a bit of searching, it looks like the ‘21 refresh may have brought with it some bad glass distortion.

Has Tesla figured this out yet? Will a ‘24 Model S still be a crap shoot?
What now? 🤦🏻‍♂️ this is not an issue on my 2023 MSP.

Tesla windshields seem to be little different from other windshields. None of they are built with optical precision, but are two sheets of flat glass sandwiched with a thin plastic membrane between them (safety glass). They are flat float glass, sandwiched and then heat molded to the final curvature. Some people are more sensitive to others for imperfections.
If just a few new owners complain on the forum, this will make it seem like it is a common problem. Often it is just the nature of windshields, and if the distortion is right in front of you, that will make it stand out more.

While, nothing is perfect, it seems that if the distortion is obvious and significant, they will replace it. If it is "within standards" they will ask you to accept it.

Tesla has recently begun putting sandwiched glass in their side windows as well. This adds safety and sound insulation. Downside is that it cost more, weighs more, and more likely to show distortion.

Tesla has recently begun putting sandwiched glass in their side windows as well. This adds safety and sound insulation. Downside is that it cost more, weighs more, and more likely to show distortion.
In a Tesla, safety glass is more of a Safety Hazard. After a severe accident the pyro fuse blows, cutting off the electricity. The rear doors will not open from the outside or inside. The glass makes it almost impossible for occupants to break the glass to escape from a collision and fire, and much more difficult for the first helpers to get you out of the car.

Tesla windshields seem to be little different from other windshields. None of they are built with optical precision, but are two sheets of flat glass sandwiched with a thin plastic membrane between them (safety glass). They are flat float glass, sandwiched and then heat molded to the final curvature. Some people are more sensitive to others for imperfections.
If just a few new owners complain on the forum, this will make it seem like it is a common problem. Often it is just the nature of windshields, and if the distortion is right in front of you, that will make it stand out more.

While, nothing is perfect, it seems that if the distortion is obvious and significant, they will replace it. If it is "within standards" they will ask you to accept it.

There are some cases where the distortion is a small area in the middle of the windshield and that can cause nausea and issues with driving. In those cases, I think Tesla is more willing to replace (IF you can demonstrate clearly the problem to the technician).

In other cases, the distortion is on the edges of the glass which doesn't really affect driving. In those cases, they are less likely to replace (and as I found, practically all the German and Japanese luxury makes have had the same distortion on the edges).

I've linked a couple different videos on windshield production and they either straight up don't check for distortion (they do check for other defects like scratches or marks on the glass) or the test pattern they use is unlikely to catch smaller distortion. As you point out, they simply aren't built for optical precision (the form used allows way too much freedom of movement and unlike lenses, the glass isn't ground in the end to the desired shape). Of course some have pushed back here and insist Tesla is the only automaker using defective glass or lower quality control, but there isn't evidence presented that Tesla is any worse than your typical premium vehicle manufacturer.

Reactions: vcor