Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki MASTER THREAD: Actual FSD Beta downloads and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just don't see that happening. From my experience FSDb is very "scaredy cat" when it comes to lane changes. It aborts if just about anything changes.

It is the same with cars turning left from a parking lot into the median/suicide lane with ego in the lane to the right of that. It assumes that they are going to go all the way into the lane ego is in, and either slows or slams on the brakes. Even if it has essentially already passed them before they pull out, such that they could go all the way into the lane behind, it will slam on the brakes which could cause a problem. Honestly that is the biggest problem I have with the current 11.4.6 FSDb.
Not sure about you, but with 11.4.6, it still jumps in turning lanes and the creep is just erratic. I've had it jump, not go, or inch so slow when there was a clearing there wasn't by the time the car was completely in the road.

Reactions: Pdubs
You make a good point. I've long wanted to test out some of these things on a quiet street with another vehicle where we could create situations to see what FSD Beta would do while minimizing the risk of being around lots of cars. But we only own 1 car it's not possible to test. I'd like to do something like this video, but with another car.

Ideally someone could get their hands on the kind of inflatable cars that the IIHS uses for their tests. Something like this, but for the side-half of a vehicle:

1691600965741.png

Just bought an M3 and to my surprise it had FSD active after camera calibration.

Initial thoughts: Really good on the highways, way better than the experience I had with Autopilot on a recent Hertz rental. We had a big rain storm yesterday and I was on the highway and FSD was able to see and keep lane lines way better than me.

On city streets, here in Northern Virginia though it is horrible and almost unusable. Aggressive lane changes, scary movements of the steering wheel at intersections, and bad lane decisions seemingly driven by poor map data. I expected the city street experience to be a bit better given the YouTube streams I've seen. It's almost those people have a completely different version of FSD. I for sure won't let it take left turns anymore. It seemed to ignore cars coming both ways and dart out in between traffic to make the turn.

Anyways will be interesting to see how it progresses going forward.

Reactions: jebinc
It's almost those people have a completely different version of FSD.
As you don't say what version of FSD you have, it's pretty hard to comment on this. Pretty much anything you say is useless without knowing what version you're talking about. And what your Autopilot settings are. It seems rather unlikely you are running FSD Beta.

You probably have FSD because you got a 3-month free trial when you bought the car. This is a surprise?

Reactions: Pdubs and jebinc
As you don't say what version of FSD you have, it's pretty hard to comment on this. Pretty much anything you say is useless without knowing what version you're talking about. And what your Autopilot settings are. It seems rather unlikely you are running FSD Beta.

You probably have FSD because you got a 3-month free trial when you bought the car. This is a surprise?
My few weeks old M3 has 2023.20.200, FSD 11.3.6

At around 1:30 v11.47 demonstrates how not to make a lane change. These time critical scenarios are almost never recoverable for FSD.

Look close and you'll see terrible performance lag. Initially the right lane passing car is illuminated as a blue 'vehicle of interest.' Unfortunately FSD is unable to detect/estimate its deceleration in time and instead believes the passing vehicle is pulling away.

It's also bad planning as an alert human driver would avoid changing lanes before an intersection like that for many reasons.

A studen driver is safer than FSD.

• Informative
Reactions: Matias and jebinc
At around 1:30 v11.47 demonstrates how not to make a lane change. These time critical scenarios are almost never recoverable for FSD.

Look close and you'll see terrible performance lag. Initially the right lane passing car is illuminated as a blue 'vehicle of interest.' Unfortunately FSD is unable to detect/estimate its deceleration in time and instead believes the passing vehicle is pulling away.

It's also bad planning as an alert human driver would avoid changing lanes before an intersection like that for many reasons.

Odd - when my car is changing lanes, the new lane is highlighted in blue, which I didn't see here. Also, the lead car in the new lane darkens to show it's now the lead car, and my car slows down to match it. That also didn't happen.

I downloaded v11.4.7 this morning and did the initial quick drive. So far it feels as bad as ever with the same chronic issues.
I got the old fashioned phantom braking back, so maybe you should be pleased that yours didn't change. OTOH, it now waits until closer to exits/turnss to switch lanes, which is generally good for left turns, because 1 mile and numerous intersections early was alway stupid.

I turned on sound to try to figure out what was going on here, and I'm still not sure. Why was there a single bong before the lane change? That sounded like TACC (not FSD) being engaged, but the IC certainly appeared to indicate FSD was already running. IF FSD had just engaged as the lane was being changed, then this would be an edge case where perhaps FSD shouldn't have allowed engagement to begin with (regardless of whether and how the hardware and software could/should have been able to deal with it). However, it was pretty frustrating a few minor versions back when you couldn't turn FSD on half the time, so I'm a big fan of human responsibility over dummy lockouts in such cases. As for when she disengaged, it is certainly feasible that FSD would have slammed on the brakes just fine after that, though I certainly agree that she should have disengaged when she did if it hadn't already started to slow. That having been said, I must also say that I've done what FSD did there, and I've seen plenty of other humans do it as well (usually it's because the turning vehicle isn't signaling, but AFAIK, FSD doesn't pay attention to signals yet). As I've said plenty of times before, the biggest problem I see with Tesla's FSD is that it's trying to drive like a human. Funny that you mention changing lanes so close to an intersection. Surely you've had it change lanes in an intersection (which is even worse), haven't you? Mine does that fairly often. OTOH, I think you're giving "alert human drivers" far too much credit. Most human drivers don't know half the things they should. I've seen countless unnecessary traffic signals go up as well as countless traffic signals modified to "left turn only on green arrow" for this very reason. Maybe you meant "competent human drivers," but I'm not really sure how many of those there are.

Re student drivers, I'm sure there is at least one that is better than FSD, but I'd say the majority are not.

I got the old fashioned phantom braking back, so maybe you should be pleased that yours didn't change. OTOH, it now waits until closer to exits/turnss to switch lanes, which is generally good for left turns, because 1 mile and numerous intersections early was alway stupid.

I turned on sound to try to figure out what was going on here, and I'm still not sure. Why was there a single bong before the lane change? That sounded like TACC (not FSD) being engaged, but the IC certainly appeared to indicate FSD was already running. IF FSD had just engaged as the lane was being changed, then this would be an edge case where perhaps FSD shouldn't have allowed engagement to begin with (regardless of whether and how the hardware and software could/should have been able to deal with it). However, it was pretty frustrating a few minor versions back when you couldn't turn FSD on half the time, so I'm a big fan of human responsibility over dummy lockouts in such cases. As for when she disengaged, it is certainly feasible that FSD would have slammed on the brakes just fine after that, though I certainly agree that she should have disengaged when she did if it hadn't already started to slow. That having been said, I must also say that I've done what FSD did there, and I've seen plenty of other humans do it as well (usually it's because the turning vehicle isn't signaling, but AFAIK, FSD doesn't pay attention to signals yet). As I've said plenty of times before, the biggest problem I see with Tesla's FSD is that it's trying to drive like a human. Funny that you mention changing lanes so close to an intersection. Surely you've had it change lanes in an intersection (which is even worse), haven't you? Mine does that fairly often. OTOH, I think you're giving "alert human drivers" far too much credit. Most human drivers don't know half the things they should. I've seen countless unnecessary traffic signals go up as well as countless traffic signals modified to "left turn only on green arrow" for this very reason. Maybe you meant "competent human drivers," but I'm not really sure how many of those there are.

Re student drivers, I'm sure there is at least one that is better than FSD, but I'd say the majority are not.

FSD appeared to be running. I've had similar scenarios happen on the freeway which is the same thing she described in her tweet. Fortunately alert humans can anticipate and take over in time. Gawd help anyone otherwise.

Of course humans make mistakes but are also cognitively able to adapt on the fly. FSD not so much with it's characteristic one trick pony trait of making a decision some time earlier and sticking with the plan regardless of outcome. FSD is arguably too task oriented with little or no context or anticipation.

There's at least one funny youtube of a driving instructor critiquing FSD. I recall her saying FSD had zero chance of passing a driver's test and that was just the road driving portion - no parallel parking etc.

Last edited:
I took a potential buyer of my older Model S for a test drive. While demonstrating FSB Beta 11.4.7 with the potential buyer driving, FSD came within a couple of inches of hitting another vehicle because it cut a left-hand turn at a stop sign way too soon. This seems like Tesla has tried to "improve" its previous behavior of cutting the turn way too late (making for a very sharp turn). I have never seen the car cut a left-hand turn like that before.

We had a dusty sprinkle sometime yesterday afternoon making the windshield a spotty, dirty mess. In the sunrise glare it dawned on me the auto wipers were dead - same as other have reported. Hopefully one of these days the team gets a handle on their spaghetti code.

What is the "dark sunglasses anti-hand nag trick"?
It's been mentioned both here and other sites like reddit. Wearing dark sunglasses with FSDb extends the time between steering wheel nags. Normally with FSDb, if one doesn't torque the steering wheel, the car will generate a "blue" hand nag warning after about 10 to 15 seconds. This can be extended by wearing dark sunglasses from 30 seconds to a few minutes, depending on road conditions. One still has to keep one's eyes fixed on the road ahead or else the car will display a "red" eye nag.

A few people here have complained that this trick is unsafe, but I find that using it in good weather when driving on limited access highways with low traffic volumes is quite a relief. I still keep my hands on the steering wheel, though.

It's been mentioned both here and other sites like reddit. Wearing dark sunglasses with FSDb extends the time between steering wheel nags. Normally with FSDb, if one doesn't torque the steering wheel, the car will generate a "blue" hand nag warning after about 10 to 15 seconds. This can be extended by wearing dark sunglasses from 30 seconds to a few minutes, depending on road conditions. One still has to keep one's eyes fixed on the road ahead or else the car will display a "red" eye nag.

A few people here have complained that this trick is unsafe, but I find that using it in good weather when driving on limited access highways with low traffic volumes is quite a relief. I still keep my hands on the steering wheel, though.
Ahhh, we don't have a cabin camera so it wouldn't benefit us. Interesting to note that without sunglasses even if looking at the road the nags are so frequent.

Took 2023.11.7 on its first drive (I've been hesitant as I wasn't expecting much change from the junky experience of prior 11.4.x releases). My expectations were met. While only a 10 mile drive, FSDj 11.4.7 didn't try to kill me (yet). It was more "squirrelly" (jerky-jerky) than prior releases, however. FSDj now turned off until next release....

Reactions: Pdubs