Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Handover Event -- July 28, 2017

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Would you say Tesla's calculations are more accurate in real world driving compared to EPA? If so, an added 5 miles would be a nice little bonus!
Let me say I would personally trust the Tesla figures more than the EPA. There are others on TMC who have actually measured what the cars do and lots of posts describing those measurements.

However what I've found is the range mainly depends on your own right foot. You'll be able to get 40 miles extra if you're properly motivated. I've been more on the fun side than the eke out another kilometre side.

Would you say Tesla's calculations are more accurate in real world driving compared to EPA? If so, an added 5 miles would be a nice little bonus!
I would say that immediately after delivery, my model S showed 270+ miles when full even though rated at 265. Within 2 months, that dropped to about 265. I suspect it is slight over capacity. LI batteries tend to have a little capacity drop at outset and then stabilize.

• Helpful
Reactions: GSP and Stirfelt
...Elon is no Steve Jobs as far as public presentations are concerned, but how was the production quality of this so bad?! No scripting, no coordination, no planning, it looks like they put it together on the fly.
Knowing some folks that have worked on Tesla events in the past, these are a bit last minute. With Tesla they had to put together an event in a couple weeks or less that they would have literally spent months on at other car companies. So if it seems a bit thrown together, it is. They're getting better, though.
There were some clearly scripted moments in the presentation, and I'd say those were the most awkward. Except for the lady speaking from inside the factory. She was awesome.

This seemed to be mostly an employee appreciation event.
It was. At least part of the reason is because those are the people Tesla has to sell the Model 3 to right now.

Reactions: ModelX
Not really. The event was supposed to provide more detailed info to the masses. Yeah, the attendees where mostly employees and thanks should have been given..

Clearly not, or you'd have gotten that right from the horse's mouth and there'd have been no employees there.

But that has nothing to do with the scarcity of real specific info that we have been waiting for. There's so much still that is unknown.

Scarcity? Maybe click on the Press Kit link on the website? Seems all the information one could want is right there.

And if the event wasn't for "us", then why bother broadcasting it?

Gee, I don't know. To acknowledge the work of the employees to the whole world. To allow those special invited guests a chance to take the final product for a spin around the track. To show the world, 'Yep, here are the 30 cars we said we'd make this month.' And so on...

A bit nerdy but Elon said they used this Model S (with a projector strapped on the roof) to wireless stream the images on the wall :p

ms-projector.jpg

A bit nerdy but Elon said they used this Model S (with a projector strapped on the roof) to wireless stream the images on the wall :p

View attachment 238452
Side note: That's the Racing Extinction car, I believe. I did some stealth projection with Leilani Münter behind the wheel a year ago or so in Sacramento. And I usually start out the story of that night with 'well, we didn't get arrested'. :)

The car belongs to the film and *lives* in the SF Bay area, available to organizations projecting what fits with the Racing Extinction message. And obviously Tesla fits.

Edit: Jan 2016
Found a couple photos from that cold night. Some will recognize the building.

12469595_10201189493255954_7426405209211419600_o.jpg 12493419_10201189493135951_2011340385978896576_o.jpg

Last edited:
Honestly, I was relieved when Elon took the stage. Everything before felt stiff and too rehearsed. Elon's demeanor and unpolished speaking nature adds to his likability on-stage. I was just bummed when it ended so abruptly, but very happy overall for Tesla and the future.

I actually thought that was cool. The event was clearly mostly for employees so it was nice to see some of the folks in the trenches doing the actual work.

Notwithstanding the fact that the event was bereft of real information on the Model 3 (other than range), I have now been impressed with what Tesla is doing on the Model 3 as a result of the event.

I was one who called the Model 3 vaporware. I was sure that there was no way that any of the milestones would be met, and I was even more sure that there was no way the Model 3 would go into mass production even within a year of the projected dates. And I didn't think the Model 3 would end up being a good car.

So Tesla hit its dates and the car, while not my cup of tea, is getting thumbs up from the car reviewers who were allowed to drive it. Musk is realistic in his warnings about the time to ramp up production, and I'm sure there will be plenty of glitches both with the car and with production, but the fact is that they are well on the way to actually doing what they said they were going to do. That's what impresses me.

To me, though, the Model S is still the car I'd buy, if I were to buy another Tesla. The price point for the longer range model (especially once you start getting D and P versions) will be way too close to the S to justify getting a 3, but I'm sure that's what they were planning...push people who want the 3 into the ones priced in the $40-50k range, and upsell those who want power and features on the more profitable S.

If I were getting a new car, I'd still go with a VW GTI or some other small, $20kish manual transmission hatchback, but I applaud Tesla for delivering on the Model 3.