Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New tesla model 3 RWD battery drain while parked problem and park assist unavailable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got message from Tesla service that they replaced my RCM module. They were able to confirm that it was the unit responsible for constantly pinging the car and keeping it awake. I can see through the Tessie app that my car did indeed go to sleep finally last night. They confirmed the fix and I'm going to pick up the car today. Will monitor to see if it did indeed fix the issue, but glad that they were able to outright say that they identified the RCM module as the culprit in their diagnostics.

To help you get some attention so they don't give you the 'standard' IT support, make sure you mention that sentry mode, cabin overheat protection and summon is off. Tell them you did soft reset and did factory reset.

Lastly, take a picture of the energy app showing vehicle standby drain, including time and odometer. Take another one 24 hours later to show the change. Then take the "drive" graph to show disconnect in lines where the standby drain happens.

Good luck!
Thank you for sure I will. I just hope me not adding that rear display to my model 3 will be an issue for them to try to fix it.

Just got message from Tesla service that they replaced my RCM module. They were able to confirm that it was the unit responsible for constantly pinging the car and keeping it awake. I can see through the Tessie app that my car did indeed go to sleep finally last night. They confirmed the fix and I'm going to pick up the car today. Will monitor to see if it did indeed fix the issue, but glad that they were able to outright say that they identified the RCM module as the culprit in their diagnostics.
Picked up and can confirm sleep after arriving home.

Got a call from service, they think it’s my computer that is the issue. Apparently they need approval for replacement so they are going to keep the car for a while. I mentioned the invoice numbers I sent from the owners on here where it was resolved with RCM replacement, and they basically brushed me off lol. “We appreciate it, and thank you for that, but our techs are on it.”

Day 29: Tesla Service messaged me 2 days ago that my car was ready. The service record shows they have replaced the 12v battery, connectivity board and the RCM. But I decided 2 days ago to wait a day to see if the car was still losing miles. It lost 15 miles that afternoon and i messaged Tesla about this yesterday morning. They told me that THEY caused it to lose miles by engaging the cabin overheat protection for 8 hours. Hmmm...you wonder why they needed to do that when the car was parked. Well, I then needed to wait another day to see if it would lose miles. It lost 3 miles in 24 hours, but that is way better than 20-48 miles in one day. I don't know if it's really fixed, so I'm leaving it on the driveway for a few days to check it out. FYI, I bought this car 18 WEEKS ago, and it's been out of commission for 6 weeks. I'll post again next week after I see if it's REALLY fixed.

I suggested the RCM replacement to them last week (after they told me the msg boards were unreliable).
So THANK YOU to the Tesla owners on this msg board for helping me out! 🥳

It's under warranty, so I asked how much this would have cost if I had to pay for it. It was over $2K! That include 5 hours of labor. They had my car for 4 weeks, so 1.25 hrs a week? They told me this was the only car in service there that exhibited this problem.

But a month to fix this? Just unbelievable!

Day 29: Tesla Service messaged me 2 days ago that my car was ready. The service record shows they have replaced the 12v battery, connectivity board and the RCM. But I decided 2 days ago to wait a day to see if the car was still losing miles. It lost 15 miles that afternoon and i messaged Tesla about this yesterday morning. They told me that THEY caused it to lose miles by engaging the cabin overheat protection for 8 hours. Hmmm...you wonder why they needed to do that when the car was parked. Well, I then needed to wait another day to see if it would lose miles. It lost 3 miles in 24 hours, but that is way better than 20-48 miles in one day. I don't know if it's really fixed, so I'm leaving it on the driveway for a few days to check it out. FYI, I bought this car 18 WEEKS ago, and it's been out of commission for 6 weeks. I'll post again next week after I see if it's REALLY fixed.

I suggested the RCM replacement to them last week (after they told me the msg boards were unreliable).

It's under warranty, so I asked how much this would have cost if I had to pay for it. It was over $2K! That include 5 hours of labor. They had my car for 4 weeks, so 1.25 hrs a week? They told me this was the only car in service there that exhibited this problem.

I'm so sorry you had to go through so much just to get it fixed. Like you, I've only had the car for under 20 weeks and experienced the same issues, but luckily they got mine replaced in a single day. That's really luck of the draw to which techs you get. On the plus side, hopefully we're all raising more awareness to both Tesla as well as other owners so future service for this faulty part will be a non-issue. Warranties and insurance are really there for a reason. Hopefully the bad part is out of the way and we can go about enjoying the vehicle that we've been hoping to enjoy when it was first purchased.

Reactions: lunaj23
It is very satisfying to see that people here have gotten the problem fixed eventually. I hope Tesla feels the same way. As someone without a charger at home, battery drain during vacation has been the biggest concern though the problem has not happened to my M3LR yet. Now that people have gotten the same problem fixed with the same repair, I hope the service process will be much smoother if this ever happen to me (and other owners) thanks to the pioneers here.

Update. Got the the car back today, much sooner than expected, but they did lose my key somehow lol. They replaced RCM and computer. Just drove it home so I’ll monitor it overnight to see if the drain has resolved. I do have one new minor issue now. My car displays as two different colors. Black (the actual color) in the visualization and app, but red in the software and service screens. Not a huge deal in comparison.

That might be enough time for a lemon law claim lol. Hope it’s finally fixed! You definitely had the worst experience out of us so far.

Well, it's very strange now. After driving back the 24 miles from the dealer (returning at 12:28pm), I parked it on the driveway. I noticed at 10pm that it had LOST 8 miles (7 of them were by 5pm). I typically check at 10am and 10pm daily since this stuff started. then overnight, it lost 0...which is the first time that it's 0 in a 12 hours period since this problem started. There was one thing I forgot to mention. Tesla texted me the night before they said the car was fixed that the contactors were still cycling every 2 minutes (keeping the car awake). Then they told me the next day that contactor problem was fixed w a firmware update...which I find a little strange.

During the 2 weeks before my service appt time, I lost 518 miles. I brought the car to Tesla with 247 miles, which they let deplete to 0 (even after I asked them twice to charge it before it went dead and they said they would...but didnt), it sat for 3 days, and then they had to jump the car so they could charge it. Then they told me that it was still losing miles, but they had cut off my Tesla app remote access (thinking I had a 3rd party app, which i don't) . So I know it lost 765 miles when they had to charge it and they probably didn't charge it to 100%. So, I'm guessing it lost over 900 miles in the last 6 weeks.

On my way out yesterday, I asked the service advisor how many miles is an acceptable rate of loss in a day. He told me, depending on weather, etc, 15-20 miles a day...which sounds ludicrous, especially if you park at an airport for 2 weeks, the car would be dead. Everything I've read about people leaving in airports says they might lose a few miles (under 10). Before all this stuff started, I never saw my car lose even 1 mile, until the day in late June when it lost 6 miles in 8 hours. I know because it had 20 miles when I parked, and 14 miles when I got in it 8 hours later to go to the supercharger, and I thought how strange is that? Some people said it heat that caused it. But It was hot in May and June too.

Well, they finally gave me a loaner 1.5 weeks ago, I think it was a 2019 M3. The one thing I noticed about that car was the interior was much cooler than my car...which in the summer had an interior temperature up to 154 degrees F. It's an oven when I get in it and I forget to use the app for 3 minutes before I get in it to cool the car down. Both the white loaner and my blue car have a black interior. (There was no cabin heat protection configured, and I couldn't even if I wanted to, I couldn't get me phone to connect to the car.) It's almost like the glass is different. I do wonder why that is. Anyone know?

After Tesla told me it was ready, I did the one thing that Tesla did not, and that was to drive the car 24 miles. They never left the service facility, since it had 1 more mile on it than when I dropped it off 4 weeks ago. So, I will keep an eye on it as sits IDLE on the driveway. I cannot conclude that this problem is fixed yet. I am hopeful, but time will tell. I should know within a few days what the behavior is.

Update. Got the the car back today, much sooner than expected, but they did lose my key somehow lol. They replaced RCM and computer. Just drove it home so I’ll monitor it overnight to see if the drain has resolved. I do have one new minor issue now. My car displays as two different colors. Black (the actual color) in the visualization and app, but red in the software and service screens. Not a huge deal in comparison.
Tesla NEVER asked me for the key. I wonder why they needed yours.

It’s finally fixed. Car has been sitting for a little over 14 hours, lost 0.1% in standby.
Hearing that THUNK of the connectors when I opened it this morning was glorious. Thanks for all your help and support everyone. I attached my invoice number in case anyone needs it.
IMG_1479.jpeg

Well, it's very strange now. After driving back the 24 miles from the dealer (returning at 12:28pm), I parked it on the driveway. I noticed at 10pm that it had LOST 8 miles (7 of them were by 5pm). I typically check at 10am and 10pm daily since this stuff started. then overnight, it lost 0...which is the first time that it's 0 in a 12 hours period since this problem started. There was one thing I forgot to mention. Tesla texted me the night before they said the car was fixed that the contactors were still cycling every 2 minutes (keeping the car awake). Then they told me the next day that contactor problem was fixed w a firmware update...which I find a little strange.

During the 2 weeks before my service appt time, I lost 518 miles. I brought the car to Tesla with 247 miles, which they let deplete to 0 (even after I asked them twice to charge it before it went dead and they said they would...but didnt), it sat for 3 days, and then they had to jump the car so they could charge it. Then they told me that it was still losing miles, but they had cut off my Tesla app remote access (thinking I had a 3rd party app, which i don't) . So I know it lost 765 miles when they had to charge it and they probably didn't charge it to 100%. So, I'm guessing it lost over 900 miles in the last 6 weeks.

On my way out yesterday, I asked the service advisor how many miles is an acceptable rate of loss in a day. He told me, depending on weather, etc, 15-20 miles a day...which sounds ludicrous, especially if you park at an airport for 2 weeks, the car would be dead. Everything I've read about people leaving in airports says they might lose a few miles (under 10). Before all this stuff started, I never saw my car lose even 1 mile, until the day in late June when it lost 6 miles in 8 hours. I know because it had 20 miles when I parked, and 14 miles when I got in it 8 hours later to go to the supercharger, and I thought how strange is that? Some people said it heat that caused it. But It was hot in May and June too.

Well, they finally gave me a loaner 1.5 weeks ago, I think it was a 2019 M3. The one thing I noticed about that car was the interior was much cooler than my car...which in the summer had an interior temperature up to 154 degrees F. It's an oven when I get in it and I forget to use the app for 3 minutes before I get in it to cool the car down. Both the white loaner and my blue car have a black interior. (There was no cabin heat protection configured, and I couldn't even if I wanted to, I couldn't get me phone to connect to the car.) It's almost like the glass is different. I do wonder why that is. Anyone know?

After Tesla told me it was ready, I did the one thing that Tesla did not, and that was to drive the car 24 miles. They never left the service facility, since it had 1 more mile on it than when I dropped it off 4 weeks ago. So, I will keep an eye on it as sits IDLE on the driveway. I cannot conclude that this problem is fixed yet. I am hopeful, but time will tell. I should know within a few days what the behavior is.
Odd they didn’t drive yours. Mine had a 26 mile difference.

I didn’t notice a difference in interior temp between my car and the loaner. Only thing I can think of is less heat is escaping from your personal car, your doors/windows must have a great seal.

One question I have to you all. Are the cars with the RCM defect, made in US ? I have mine made in China, have the 2023.20.9 update and never had the problem described in this thread. Could be a RCM defective batch or it’s something widespread ? And by the way, all third party apps can be configured not to wake up the Tesla. Tessie, Stats…

One question I have to you all. Are the cars with the RCM defect, made in US ? I have mine made in China, have the 2023.20.9 update and never had the problem described in this thread. Could be a RCM defective batch or it’s something widespread ? And by the way, all third party apps can be configured not to wake up the Tesla. Tessie, Stats…
If you don't have problem, that's great. Probably some batch that had issues. Obviously, as owners we wouldn't know the real answer. But it is widespread enough that I think Tesla knows about it. My tech replaced RCM part only within 24 hours so there should be a published article internally. I would imagine this type of issue is hard to debug.

The biggest hurdle is to convince service center to look at it anyways. Most of us got brushed off with a "it's normal" response.

Reactions: voldar
If you don't have problem, that's great. Probably some batch that had issues. Obviously, as owners we wouldn't know the real answer. But it is widespread enough that I think Tesla knows about it. My tech replaced RCM part only within 24 hours so there should be a published article internally. I would imagine this type of issue is hard to debug.

The biggest hurdle is to convince service center to look at it anyways. Most of us got brushed off with a "it's normal" response.
Thank you for the quick response. You being in Toronto, it means you have the MIC model, as mine. I started to use Teslafi.com 10 days after I got my car and it’s a great third party "thing" (I can’t call it an app) that gives me a lot of info about my Tesla. Including the time of sleep and when and how long a charge session occurs.