Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pack Performance and Launch Mode Limits

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a V3 battery and I used to get a 20kw boost when using MB ON versus OFF... it was instant. That is now gone. Also I am "only" getting 488kw max power when at 100 SOC. I was getting nearly 510kw before the latest software update that "restores" power. Looks like we may be headed for round 2 ? Ding Ding.
I just tested with another v3 car that is babied and it was also limited to 1500 amps...

The plot thickens

I just tested with another v3 car that is babied and it was also limited to 1500 amps...

So P90DLs will no longer be able to meet the spec that some versions were, briefly able to meet--the 10.9 second quarter mile.

I imagine Tesla is doing this to keep down the cost of warranty repairs and replacements. The fact that nothing particularly negative for them came of the 691 HP fiasco is probably causing Tesla to believe that similarly, nothing particularly negative for them will come of this.

I
really
really
really
hope this is not the case :(

So ya just to recap it appears that all P90DL that had v3 batteries and 1600 amps have now been reduced to 1500amps and are now down 40 hp... not just ones that have reached counters. o_O

Hi everyone,

Based on your input, we have decided to remove all software performance reductions tied to frequent max power usage. These changes will roll out with our next software update (in about three weeks).

We had put these reductions in place to proactively protect the powertrain from wear and tear. Instead, we will monitor the condition of the powertrain and let our customers know if service is needed so that we can take proactive steps, such as by replacing parts if necessary, to maintain the vehicle’s performance.

--Jon

Hi Everyone -- The software update that removes software performance reductions tied to frequent max battery power usage is being deployed now. With this update, maximum power output will be achievable anytime both Launch Mode and Max Battery Power Mode are engaged.

Last edited:
@Tech_Guy - Any clarification from the service center?

@JonMc - Is this new limitation temporary or permanent? The P90D has always had trouble living up to its specs, but this is really a setback for owners if lingering. If so problematic, let's come up with a great way to move every P car up to 100 packs.

• Helpful
Reactions: Andyw2100
What if 1600A was a bug, never should've happened?
Or, was there a specific promise?

Tesla explicitly promised 1500A (Elon said Ludicrous upgrade boosts current "from 1300A to 1500 Amps").
http://jalopnik.com/the-tesla-model-s-just-got-upgraded-to-ludicrous-speed-1718577723

1600A was never promised. 1600A was not even a thing until the V2 batteries, the V1 batteries never experienced that.

1/4 mile in 10.9 was the "promise" (stated in the P90D specs), which I don't believe was achievable at the 1500A level.

This situation is exactly what I talked about as a possibility. Tesla may move all P90DLs to the same baseline (1500A which they promised). This changes the argument back to the quarter mile, which comes with other conditions to test (SOC, vehicle weight/configuration, tire/wheel, track/environmental variables, etc).

Reactions: bhzmark
How does the power loss affect your 0-60 time?
I have only used the power tools app to track my times. The app is limited due to its sample time. I have never bested 3.0. And even with the recent reduction it still shows 3.0.

One thing I would like to discuss and test. Did John state that full power would be available in MBR with LM? If so , maybe those conditions need to be met to get full power?

Quick question. Does anyone know of an Android app that is equivalent to Powertools? I'd like to be able to log my kW without taking along my iPad and a hotspot. I don't have a CAN bus cable yet, so need one that can work with internet logging for now.

Thanks!
You can also use TeslaLog, if it is working OK. The developer seemed to end support but the server seems to be running. BTW it's not a smartphone app, but a web app.

• Helpful
Reactions: davidc18
So let me take a step back here the clue is in Jon's post...

Hi Everyone -- With this update, maximum power output will be achievable anytime both Launch Mode and Max Battery Power Mode are engaged.

I went out to test this morning and reached 500kw and 1605 Amps in launchmode so it seems to be true... again only in launchmode as stated above the car will not achieve those numbers in any other mode as it's restricted to 1500Amps. Previously it could get 500kw+ and 1600 Amps with just max battery ready and without launch mode.

So to repeat myself... this recent update changed how the car performs in all Ludicrous modes, exept launchmode which retains the full performance. Matching with Jon's statement that maximum power output will be achievable anytime launchmode and max battery power are engaged! I'd be interested to hear how everyone feels about that?

It's obviously less usable then it was before but it's likely done to reduce high amperage usage which was previously always available at a full throttle press. I believe the consensus was that launchmode yields a worse reaction time at the drag strip vs just flooring the petal? @NSX1992 @fiksegts ? With this change for the best elapsed time you would have to use launch mode now. I'm interested if this effects the P100D in the same way as well... I'd suspect so!

Last edited:
In my experience, Launch Mode is harder to time against lights at the drag strip. It's possible but you have to be a lot more predictive and you could easily run out of time if the guy running the system is a bit overzealous starting the timers.

Not getting to 1600A without LM is disheartening. IMO, there should be some middle ground we could get to.

@JonMc If you are still listening, please, please, please give all P cars the Easter Egg UI updates. Tie the extra 100 amps to the disclaimer that comes with the Easter egg and call it a day. From the outside looking in, this seems like a really, really obvious option.

So back in 2015 August ish... I saw the Tesla P90DL and its incredible performance. At that time I was told that for $10K plus $3K - I too could have that same performance. That all I needed to do was select the LUDICROUS option and viola, max performance. Perfect. I want one.
Now fast forward to today. How does Tesla sell this same car to me?
For $10K plus $3K and if you are at full SOC, and MB is ready ( 35 minute wait ), and you are in launch mode - viola, max performance.
I would NOT have purchased that car.

I only want the car I paid for. No more, no less. This is really getting weird. Does Tesla really think we are stupid?

In my experience, Launch Mode is harder to time against lights at the drag strip. It's possible but you have to be a lot more predictive and you could easily run out of time if the guy running the system is a bit overzealous starting the timers.

Not getting to 1600A without LM is disheartening. IMO, there should be some middle ground we could get to.

@JonMc If you are still listening, please, please, please give all P cars the Easter Egg UI updates. Tie the extra 100 amps to the disclaimer that comes with the Easter egg and call it a day. From the outside looking in, this seems like a really, really obvious option.

This seems like something they should do and can't believe we are still having to talk about this. I don't know if I would ever buy an option like this again. I thought this was resolved.

So back in 2015 August ish... I saw the Tesla P90DL and its incredible performance. At that time I was told that for $10K plus $3K - I too could have that same performance. That all I needed to do was select the LUDICROUS option and viola, max performance. Perfect. I want one.
For $10K plus $3K and if you are at full SOC, and MB is ready ( 35 minute wait ), and you are in launch mode - viola, max performance.

I only want the car I paid for. No more, no less. This is really getting weird. Does Tesla really think we are stupid?

+1. My thought exactly. I did not, and would not have purchased LM under these terms.

+1. My thought exactly. I did not, and would not have purchased LM under these terms.
I know I'll get a bunch of disagreements,as passion runs high on this subject, but, now that there _is_ a way to get 1600A, which wasn't promised, and an easy way to access promised 1500A, I think Tesla did alright.
I don't think I would be upset, but maybe I am too easy going (this would cause a lot of laughter with people that report to me)...

I wonder if it would have been better received if they tagged the extra 100A under an overboost type heading.

Reactions: smac