Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Russia/Ukraine conflict

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No don't do the later. That's a lesson from Iraq and more importantly WWI. Penalize upfront, take foreign exchange, gold, etc. Don't have long drawn out sanctions as they develop into abuse, avoidance, and are used by the reclairant govts as excuses and as a point of blame.
Seriously, people need to learn from the past which is WW1. The thing you don't want to do is punish the people of Russia that then galvanizes them to follow their "leader" to get Russia back to it's glory days. Right now Putin's done enough damage to his image. Don't give him options to tell Russians "See the West has it out for us, I told you this would happen"

It might be hard for some to stomach, but the West needs to be able to give Putin a way out

A lot of people are probably not aware of this …. India asked foreign companies to have local partners and share technology in 70s. This led to IBM and Coca Cola shutting down. They didn’t come back until 90s/00s.

Part of the reason for strong local IT industry in India, as ex-IBM employees opened several tech companies ;)

"No borscht for you!" :p
FLPnSZrUcAcYTjv.jpg

This war is different from all other wars in one respect, and only one: This rime there is effectively real time social media coverage. Except for that this reflects traditional Russian military practice, albeit with 'advances' in destructive technology. Even using serfs as conscripted 'cannon fodder' is traditional practice.

I agree 100% on all of these points..

We can break war down into 3 areas:-
  • Diplomatic
  • Economic
  • Military
It is very likely that if Russia knew how the war would progress, they would not have started it.
Wars don't make economic sense and this war is a PR disaster.

In addition to their excellent work in other areas the PR/propaganda work by the Ukrainians must be close to the best ever.

While the majority of the Russian public is currently strongly in favour of the war, they will slowly begin to have regrets, the longer it drags on.
A key point is their leadership did not build a strong enough case for the war beforehand, they have been building the case for years, but not a strong case.
We can see this in the censorship in Russia.

Both China and Russia now want a negotiated deal ASAP.

Both sides have given ground:-
  • Russia on regime change - and perhaps a few other minor issues.
  • Ukraine on join NATO, neutrality, Donbas and Lahansk
The major remaining sticking points seem to be :-

1. Russia wanting to limit the size of the Ukrainian army,- Ukraine should not give any ground here, Russia will need to concede eventually.
2. The Azov regiment with some (disputed) NAZI tendencies - Ukraine can give ground here - disbanding the official regiment, and perhaps other actions.
3. Crimea - Gas fields - Russia should know the chances of developing the gas fields without a fair negotiated settlement are close to zero, I've suggested some deal to split the gas royalties.

In summary war are always a bad idea, both sides have a lot to gain but negotiating a settlement and a lot to lose if they don't.

Last edited:
Ukraine war: Poland offers all its MIG-29 fighter jets to US in plan to provide aircraft to Kyiv | World News | Sky News (45 min ago)

In a 3-party deal, Poland will 'donate' all its Mig-29 fighter jets at an U.S. airfield in Poland. The U.S. in turn donates the Migs to Ukraine, and provides F-16s to Poland to replace their donations.
Not sure it’ll avert Putins evil eye from Poland but if it helps Ukraine kick his arse then it’s certainly worth a shot. It’s certainly a ballsy move by Poland 💪🏻,

I can’t see Putin following this up though tbf, hopefully he’ll finally be kicked out of office once the Russian population see the truth. They really do need to be dragged out of their apathy towards voting which is the main reason he’s managed to stay in power ( along with jailing his main opposition of course).

Some may see me as an apologist for Russians but so be it. I’ve been there several times and yes there are dickheads but in the whole they’re decent people (much like anywhere else). If anything they need to be shown that the whole world isn’t against them, because that’s what they’ve been fed for years by the wankers in power.

Last edited:
Economic - while bad for both sides a missile to destroy a plane, helicopter, air-aircraft system or tank cost a lot less than the equipment it destroys.

And to win modern wars it seems the invader has to reduce cities to rubble, driving the citizens out and destroying a lot of very expensive military equipment in the process.

Russia is already paying a high economic price for it's involvement in Syria.

Not fighting wars is cheaper than fighting them.

Sanctions are a whole other dimension in this war, the support for the Ukraine from the US, NATO and the EU has been stellar in every regard.

This war and the overhang will do very severe and long lasting damage to the Russia economy.

The transition to clean energy and transport will do further damage to the Russian economy, Russia has not diversified into many other industrial areas.

So for economic reasons they need a deal ASAP.

China is also worried for economic reasons, many sanctions and consumer sentiment against Russia could spill over into consumer sentiment against China.

Last edited:
Military -

It is true that Ukraine started with a weak hand, and played that hand excellently, closing some of the gap.

Russia started with a strong hand, and played that hand poorly.

The best guess is that Russia still has a stronger hand, but the gap is continuing to close.

Ukraine has done what they needed to do, which is deny Russia and easy/quick victory.

I actually think the Ukrainian estimates of Russia losses might be close to accurate, but they are not reporting Ukrainian losses which are probably in the same ballpark What I am saying here is this is a war on fast forward, the weapons no both sides are highly effective, and as a result losses are high.

Most that still think Russia can win, think losses will count against Ukraine, has they have fewer experienced pilots and soldiers.

My counter points are:-
1. Drones don't need a pilot - all they need is degraded air defences.
2. Foreign fighters are adding valuable experience and training - inexperienced and highly motivated soldiers will learn on the job.

What this shows is ultimately the concept of "winning" a war is a flawed concept, This will drag on long enough for both sides to agree on a negotiated settlement.

• Informative
Reactions: Xdama and ZeApelido
While the majority of the Russian public is currently strongly in favour of the war, they will slowly begin to have regrets, the longer it drags on.
What do you base your statement on ?

This is not exactly a neutral party, but looks like they want the war to be over now.

2. The Azov regiment with some (disputed) NAZI tendencies - Ukraine can give ground here - disbanding the official regiment, and perhaps other actions.
LOL. You are kidding about “disputed”, right ? Their official emblems have Nazi symbols.

I wrote a letter today to our federal government (translated by deepl):
>>
Dear Sir or Madam,

I am appalled that Germany is not following the example of other countries and extending the sanctions to Russian energy supplies. This is also in line with current EU requirements and what is morally right and necessary.

With criminals and murderers one makes no business!

The reason given by Mr. Habeck today, that it is bad for our economy, I can understand. But after thorough consideration, the lives of many innocent people seem to me to count more than a few percent GNP. There is no need to fear unrest in Germany because of this, if the politicians (you are the ones meant here) justify and support it sensibly.

We still have to accelerate the energy turnaround considerably. It is also a mistake to shut down the existing nuclear power plants to bridge a (short) transition period - max. 2 years. Tesla has proven that you can build entire factories even in Germany in 2 years. Can't Germany do more than Tesla?

The intensification of coal-fired power as an energy source is unbearable for me. Coal should be shut down immediately. For reasons of air pollution and because of dependence on foreign coal supplies.

Yes, the conversion process is always difficult and involves costs and frictions. Let's use this war as an opportunity to really address and accelerate these things now. President Kennedy successfully motivated the nation with the Apollo program. We Germans can do a lot and must now mobilize our strengths. Be courageous, many of the citizens here are ready for more than you want to expect and trust them at the moment.

Think anew!

--
Johann

<<

Let's see how much that help.

Also we are opening our house to Uranian refugees needing a place to stay, food, etc.

What do you base your statement on ?

Just a mix of opinions I've read on Twitter, and images with the "Z" logo everywhere.

LOL. You are kidding about “disputed”, right ? Their official emblems have Nazi symbols.

By disputed, I mean more likely than not, But they have an explanation for the symbols etc...
Like many things, there are claims and counter-claims...

Seriously, people need to learn from the past which is WW1. The thing you don't want to do is punish the people of Russia that then galvanizes them to follow their "leader" to get Russia back to it's glory days. Right now Putin's done enough damage to his image. Don't give him options to tell Russians "See the West has it out for us, I told you this would happen"

It might be hard for some to stomach, but the West needs to be able to give Putin a way out
Putin has a way out. Reduce Ukraine to rubble. That seems to be the direction that he is headed.

Putin has a way out. Reduce Ukraine to rubble. That seems to be the direction that he is headed.
That will not end sanctions, it will cost a lot of money and it will take a lot of time and resources, if it is even possible,

A negotiated settlement that he can 'spin" as a win to the domestic Russian audience is his best way out.

By disputed, I mean more likely than not, But they have an explanation for the symbols etc...
Like many things, there are claims and counter-claims...
Last post on this from me. But even NATO deleted this tweet that showed the Nazi symbols.

ps : US has a long history of supporting ultra right only to be bitten by them later - like Osama in Afghanistan and ISIS in Syria.

• Disagree
Reactions: LightngMcQueen