Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What's your opinion about this article? Looks like the fact that TESLA is using discount to push the 3rd quarter delivery will actually dilute the effect of number itself (if it is high).

Tesla's Use Of Discounts To Meet Auto Delivery Goals Called Worrisome

More FUD. Some are starting to realize that Q3 numbers will be amazing, and they are trying to dampen the rise in the SP. I bet Tesla has decreased it's production costs quite a bit, and the discounts won't hurt it profit margins very much. The same people who say Tesla can't ramp up for Model 3, say it is a problem when Tesla starts to practice ramping up by selling lower cost versions of the Model S and X and delivering huge numbers.

What's your opinion about this article? Looks like the fact that TESLA is using discount to push the 3rd quarter delivery will actually dilute the effect of number itself (if it is high).

Seems to me bears are desperately trying to preempt with negative spin the good news they see coming. Kind of like when a SeekingAlpha bear predicted a really high number of Model 3 preorders.

My opinion is that shorts showing fear over delivery numbers is bullish. If we do have a blowout quarter, the numbers will speak for themselves. It won't matter how bears try to spin it.

The analyst who supposedly feels it's "worriesome" that Tesla had a 1-2 day (not publicized sale) on some CPO models, obviously didn't see 300-400 vehicles disappear from inventory in 1 day. :rolleyes:

Since when is it a bad thing for a company to have a quiet, unadvertised sale to clear inventory, at a profit, before the end of the quarter? I feel very confident saying Tesla sold every CPO vehicle at or above cost.

The analyst who supposedly feels it's "worriesome" that Tesla had a 1-2 day (not publicized sale) on some CPO models, obviously didn't see 300-400 vehicles disappear from inventory in 1 day. :rolleyes:

Since when is it a bad thing for a company to have a quiet, unadvertised sale to clear inventory, at a profit, before the end of the quarter? I feel very confident saying Tesla sold every CPO vehicle at or above cost.
Also, yesterday's tech product is always cheaper than tomorrows, eg laptops, cell phones, etc...

Reactions: drinkerofkoolaid
Vlad is a highly qualified analyst who happens to share his work here. The WSJ is a random collection of idiots trying to make a buck.
Which is really sad. As recently as the 1990s the WSJ had the best financial investigative journalism in the world. (They broke the Enron scandal!) Since Murdoch bought it, it's turned into fishwrap.

Several things to note.

1) There is a higher mix of Model X with higher price tags and those really weren't discounted. We really don't know the margin for those vehicles, however.
2) Discounted S75's and 75D's actually represent a higher margin than the S60 and 60D's, as they are the exact same car with the exact same COGS. Tesla basically pulled forward what they expect was the take rate on the option to upgrade into Q3 instead of the natural uptake over the next year or two.
3) You can look through the vehicles that were removed from the site using historical data on ev-cpo... we're talking universe of x or so vehicles for the U.S., and many of them were not discounted beyond the normal demo/inventory discounts. (x = go get a subscription for that data from ev-cpo.com). That x number is relatively small against the backdrop of the entire quarter. P90D's represent about 25% of them, sold at a variety of price points. The S75's and 75D's represent maybe 50% of the number, and many of those were not sold at any discount.
4) It seems to be a deliberate effort to have less expensive cars as part of the inventory stock. That might actually be quite positive, as the discounts that Tesla usually gives to move the highest end stock each quarter was probably a wash as compared to the discounts to move lower end product. Plus the overall value of the demo stock is less, which means a lower finished goods inventory. That does not necessarily translate to any real difference in product mix - I'm not sure we really have good information on that.
5) Improving margins might completely hide the discounting
6) The P90D fire sale of both classic nosecone and overall when the P100D was released is again, a smaller number of vehicles and many of these had significant miles and age which would have caused discounting anyways. With the estimated 40% margin on these vehicles, Tesla likely did not sell these at a loss and does this essentially every quarter to refresh demo stock. This does also mean there was increased demand for the facelift models and the P100D models. Obviously, the total number of P100D model sold is quite modest.

Undoubtedly, Tesla did pull some demand into Q3. That's definitely a concern, as well as breaking the seal on discounting in a wider fashion. We simply don't know the effect on margins. I suspect any improvement in the margins on the Model X dwarfs the effect of the discounts on S75/75D's. The effect on future buyer behavior is the real risk for Tesla.

Also, I usually don't like shooting the messenger, but Brad Erickson has a particularly bad record at Pacific Crest:
https://www.tipranks.com/analysts/brad-erickson
Ranked #3,747 out of 4,185 analysts, less than 1 star rating.

The general public most certainly has the right to restrict what companies and individuals do.

If we'd stopped Al Sloan and Kettering from pushing tetraethyl lead in gasoline, we would have stopped some of the worst horrors this world has ever known.

I certainly hope Elon Musk understands that he doesn't have the right to unilaterally go nuke Mars to "improve the climate" (something he suggested when asked about outrageous ideas which might be good ideas). I would expect him to get permission from the UN.

To obtain nukes for mars Elon would need to get them from the US/EU, so they would have to be fully on board in such a scenario... or maybe he'll try to strike a deal with the Russian again. :)

11% arbitrage. I think we hit a high of 35% a week or two ago? All of Fast Money said it wouldn't go through because of the spread? Now what's important: Oct 3.

I want to thank neroden for publicly bringing the arbitrage opportunity to my eyes. Up 18% so far!! :D The only regret was not risking more, which I've had enough bad trades to not really feel bad about not arbitraging more.

I still don't know how much of this is for new installations and how much for old installations.

To the degree to which SCTY is monetizing old installations, *SCTY will actually be a source of capital for TSLA for the next 9 months or so*, exactly when Tesla needs it. If I'm right about this, Musk's financial engineering here is genius.

OMG! What a great idea! Forgo some eventual profits 10 years down the road for some not bad financing terms now. Still, wouldn't Tesla be able to borrow more cheaply than these Solarcity bonds? Iirc, the last one was at 6.5% interest...

Status
Not open for further replies.