Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Single Phase Charging Options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All

Recently ordered the MYRWD and waiting allocation of VIN. Exciting times ahead.

I am looking at charging options and wondering if some of you can help!

Car usage will most likely be limited to <50-75km per day maybe the occassional 100km weekend day.

Got a single phase home, i know few options are either:
1. UMC and plug it to normal power point but will be a slow charge
2. Get a 32a line installed by electrician and use UMC to get max 7kw output
3. Install 32a and get Tesla Wall charger

My question would be if I were to go with the 3rd option, are there benefits of single phase home using Tesla Wall Charger as I can't maximise the charge output of 11kw? Not planning to get a 2nd EV yet so no power sharing.

I feel like going with option 1 to save cost of install but also trying to see benefits of the other options!

For context I have solar as well so intend to use its output as much as possible and am in Perth.

Any ideas or best approach?

Option 1 is definitely the cheapest and would suit your driving km's just fine. Especially if there is any chance you are likely to move house in the coming years, I'd go this option.

I do a lot more km's but would have gone this option for that reason except for the fact that most of the work had already been done at this place by the previous owner who had a Tesla, so installing a Wall unit was cheap and easy.

If you are likely to be staying put for a long time and likely to get a second EV, then the wall connector might be the go, you can set it up as single phase now and if you upgrade your connection later then it can be easily bumped up to 3. The second option won't be that much cheaper than the 3rd.

I would go with option 1 or 2. I personally did option 2. See if you can sign up on an ev plan (of course be sure to do the sums to see if it works out for you as pricing will differ based on postcode and distributor) to take advantage of free electricity usage period during day if you’re home and a cheap 8c/kwh rate between midnight and 6am.

I have a 7 kW home charger (ChargeMate), also have solar. Pretty much all the time I reduce the charge rate to 3.6 kW so that it chargers at a rate lower than my solar generates.

As a start, get a 15A power outlet on a dedicated circuit installed - with the wiring suitable for a 32A load in the future.

Then you can charge with the UMC, know all your wiring is new and therefore safe, and can install a dedicated charging unit (Tesla wall connector, or otherwise) in the future if you decide you need it, without much fuss.

Option 1 is definitely the cheapest and would suit your driving km's just fine. Especially if there is any chance you are likely to move house in the coming years, I'd go this option.

I do a lot more km's but would have gone this option for that reason except for the fact that most of the work had already been done at this place by the previous owner who had a Tesla, so installing a Wall unit was cheap and easy.

If you are likely to be staying put for a long time and likely to get a second EV, then the wall connector might be the go, you can set it up as single phase now and if you upgrade your connection later then it can be easily bumped up to 3. The second option won't be that much cheaper than the 3rd.
Yeah was thinking opt2 vs opt3 wouldnt be that much difference.

$550 UMC vs $800 Wall Charger.

Had a quote of $750 to install wall charger + 32A outlet and 62a main switch. Not sure if that is considered ok or expensive.

To get 7kW from the UMC, you will need to put in a 5-pin 3-phase industrial socket & buy a new tail to fit the UMC. I have one (which cost ~$185) with only 1 of the 3 phase lines connected.
The most you can get from the standard tails is ~3.5kW using the 15A tail.

if you can afford it, I would suggest you go for a tethered charger and leave the UMC in the car for use on trips. The Tesla WC is one of the cheapest around, with a good cable length and is easily installed by a good sparky. However, as @Jules22 says, if you intend to move house, that may not be the best. Although, the fact you've installed solar at home indicates you may not be likely to do that soon.
I find that having the cable attached saves futzing about plugging and unplugging any other cables. The little button on the WC to open the charge port is also convenient.
Even with your limited projected usage, I suggest that you may probably only charge once a week (as opposed to every night). The 7+kW is useful to ensure that you can charge up as fully as you want within a (more) reasonable time. The Tesla Charge on Solar option in the app is limited, but may be useful with the Tesla Wall Connector, which is not inherently a "smart" charger.

I am in Perth, have solar and went with the Tesla Wall Connector. I work from home and tend to trickle charge with excess solar. Cheaper and lets me operate in a narrow state of charge (apparently good for the battery). I use the 7kW charge potential now and then and am happy to have the option when pushed for time. Worth it? Who knows, but it is there now.

Have a look around and see if you can get a cheap wall charger 2nd hand, they do pop up from time to time. The UMC does do 32A, but not with the specific 32A tail, so your costs will be similar.

If you do get a sparky to install a socket, definitely go for 32A and not just a 15A. I only charge at home in the 12pm-6am cheap window and at 7.2kW, you can get 42kWh in that window. Sure you can also charge at 15A, but if you run your battery down to 10pc on a trip etc, you need to use 3 nights or so at 6hours to get it back up to 80-100pc without using "expensive" electricity. A 32A charge outlet will more or less become a standard in single phase houses in the future.

However, I hate taking the UMC out of my car, I have used it a few times whilst traveling overnight. If you want to have the option of taking your charger with you and don't mind packing it up, the UMC option is also cheaper as you don't need both. I was lucky enough to get a UMC with the previous 2 cars, I do however get why they stopped supplying them, the same reason Apple stopped including new USB chargers.

Hi All

Recently ordered the MYRWD and waiting allocation of VIN. Exciting times ahead.

I am looking at charging options and wondering if some of you can help!

Car usage will most likely be limited to <50-75km per day maybe the occassional 100km weekend day.

Got a single phase home, i know few options are either:
1. UMC and plug it to normal power point but will be a slow charge
3. Install 32a and get Tesla Wall charger

My question would be if I were to go with the 3rd option, are there benefits of single phase home using Tesla Wall Charger as I can't maximise the charge output of 11kw? Not planning to get a 2nd EV yet so no power sharing.

I feel like going with option 1 to save cost of install but also trying to see benefits of the other options!

For context I have solar as well so intend to use its output as much as possible and am in Perth.

Any ideas or best approach?
The answer really depends how much you drive in a day. I know several people with ev who do maybe 20km 3 times a week. The plug in 10amp charger works fine for them. I always recommend to low distance drivers to start with the plug in option and if it becomes frustrating you then upgrade but with better knowledge of what you actually need. With solar charging, slow charging is good if your array is relatively small.

Reactions: Zoltrix77
I had a 32amp circuit and CT clamp installed. Threw on an Ocular IQ Solar and a spare type 2 charger under the ACT rebate scheme. Works out at $11 a fortnight over 10 years, interest free.

Have setup solar data export from my enphase to chargehq and connected the ocular to it too. So in theory, when my car arrives, I’ll be able to charge at 7kw.
IMG_1404.jpeg
IMG_1482.jpeg

Knowledge of the brand is an important measure for sure, but with anything electrical on Alibaba, look for the regulatory compliance mark indicating that it complies with the applicable regulatory requirements in Australia. I couldn't find it on any of the images, but maybe I wasn't looking hard enough. 🤣
Also who do you contact for warranty claim? 🤔

@Frapo
I suggest do 1) for a while first
Get settled into your routine before spending $$$ on extra installations.

Get the Mobile Connector and charge of 10A first. See how you go. you might find you only need 10A
I would not charge it to 100% every day. You only need 100% periodically - Tesla says once a week.

How much solar do you export on a sunny summer's day?.

The main benefits are that it's more suited to be installed outside (eg. if you want to access it from a carport), and as a wired-in device there's fewer plug & socket connections in the way which each have the potential to degrade. A minor one is that the wall connecto also doubles as a hook to wrap the cable on.

Personally I'd go with the wall connector, it's hard to beat the convenience.