Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX Internet Satellite Network: Starlink

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Starlink usage by country. Service in something like 80 countries now but number 52 is at the 0.1% to 0.0% cusp (not sure if rounded or truncated).

1703519026079.png

1703519073846.png

from Traffic | Cloudflare Radar

Last edited:
Since some countries have low uptake for starlink, supply and demand produces a change in pricing.

Since the initial receiver price is a barrier to entry, they should offer an option to sign up for a 2 year contract for a “free” receiver. If you cancel early, pay the difference.

That works too but the other way keeps the payment “low” vs a large upfront cost. The large upfront cost is probably what deters more people.
Collecting money on a contract from a consumer is significantly harder than giving free service after the fact. It really depends on how desperate the company is to on-board new customers.

Reactions: bhzmark and Grendal
With apologies to @dhanson865, here's the full image from direct.starlink.com.

stacksquare.jpg

With commentary from a reddit post:

I perused that Reddit thread, but didn't see anything on some of the other stuff... I wonder:

- What the to flat metal plates in the upper corners of the image are... the one on the right appears to have read protective film on it, which makes me think it might be something more than just a cover. They appear to have a "border" around them with a (laser weld?) seam, as if they are affixed to some sort of element or case. Also they look to have screw heads in the corners, but if so the screws don't extend far at all underneath.

- The cylindrical section opposite the hall effect on the other side of the array, assume another thruster...

- The object oriented at an angle in the upper left with a round attachment. Wonder if this angle related to an device for orientation/positioning?

- The Reddit thread mentions these may be arrays that can unfold. At first, I thought those two silver "bracket" type objects on the front edge of the array frame (above the reaction wheels) were hinges to allow the array to unfold, but they don't appear to have a rotation point to allow that. Then I thought they might be latch anchor for when it unfolds, but despite cranking up the brightness, I can't see a receiver below that they'd fit in to when it unfolds. Now I'm unsure what they are, but some sort of latch mechanism seems likely... I think the array does unfold, the silver brackets are mounted on a platform that in turn has a pivot point (attached via those 3 hex-head bolts we can see) attached to those brackets extending laterally off the chassis surrounding the thruster body.

I didn't notice the American flag reflection on the array initially.... cool "easter egg" shot.

Last edited:
Reactions: Grendal
The Reddit thread mentions these may be arrays that can unfold.
Here's an image from the Starlink site. Note how the satellites are depicted. The antenna array that we see would be pointed at the Earth, with the solar panels extending at a 90 degree angle. In the picture of the satellite stack, Earth would be up and the solar panels would unfold down. The solar panels appear to hinge along the long edge of the vehicle (left or right in the image of the stack).

diagram-v2-1536x768.png

I'm curious to know what the tabs on the left and right edges of the antenna platform are for. Are they just a production artifact?

Hmmm... so I interpret the tabs in the image to be along ther edge of the antenna array...we see the black plastic underside of a tab on the top segment aligning with the shiny metallic top of the tab in the segment underneath. I believe in seeing those round antenna elements, we are looking at the bottom of one half of the array that unfolds to make the full array.

The stuff in the upper right underneath of the panel with red protective film on it looks like it could be solar panel type material, but currently occluded and rather small... not sure what we are seeing there.

- What the to flat metal plates in the upper corners of the image are

It's possible they are phased array gateway antennas. The per-sat throughput of an all mobile service sat is going to be WAY lower than fixed broadband, so the gateway link capacity doesn't need to be as high; its possible the complexity/cost/packaging of [necessarily lower capacity] flat/fixed phased panels beats the the steerable parabolic gateway antennas that we see on the fixed service starlinks.

Its also possible they're some thermal radiator, though typically one wouldn't aim a radiator right at earth...

It's possible they are basically fixed, non-phased gateway antennas (so, radiating a really wide cone), with some thermal feature on them (the plates that we're looking at).

It's also possible they are small fixed service arrays...if so, likely used for some degree of testing out the D2D functionality. (There's not a lot of value to starlink services have a significantly reduced capacity sat providing production level service.)

- The cylindrical section opposite the hall effect on the other side of the array, assume another thruster...

The thrusters have the cylindrical red cover on it in the lower right. The ISLs have flat red covers, center right and far lower right. The earth sensors have a flat red cover on it, lower left--they're the ones at a ~45deg angle to the orthogonal. The black cylindrical section running from the thruster all the way to the other side of the sat is the prop tank/structural backbone.

- The object oriented at an angle in the upper left with a round attachment. Wonder if this angle related to an device for orientation/positioning?

The smaller black pancake-ey cylinder in the upper left (just above the white panel) is likely a motor housing for the ISLs on that side of the sat.

- The Reddit thread mentions these may be arrays that can unfold.

I don't believe the user array unfolds. As noted upthread I don't think there's a proper fixed internet payload on these sats [which would be covered up by an unfolding D2D array]. Among other things, the thickness of the sat just isn't there for multiple folds of the D2D array. We're looking at probably 25-30mm for a user array panel, when stacking up 1) the structural plate (the black plate under the silver user array PCBs with what appears to be orthogrid ribbing, 2) the board itself (the silver covered panels under the round element disks), and 3) the raised round elements that are precisely air-gapped from the boards.

I also don't see any hinge mechanisms. I'd speculate that the two silver/grey brackets on the lower right edge are either lifting features or clamping features for the
stack restraint bars.

Also--noting that its fair to figure SX might not adhere to this logic for a test sat, which these presumably are--phased arrays that serve a hemispherical geometry generally want to be as two-axis symmetric as possible. The geometry of any beam more of less takes on the shape of the array, and you generally want a symmetrical beam pattern on the ground (that of course goes oblong depending on elevation angle). So...if this were to unfold, it would really want to unfold to 4x panels. Only 2x panels would create a very high aspect ration beam cone that would really stretch out at low elevation angles...that increases the difficulty/complexity of traffic scheduling/routing.

I didn't notice the American flag reflection on the array initially.... cool "easter egg" shot.

Classic space industry there. I'm pretty sure its a contractural requirement for every American built satellite to have a picture taken with a reflection of the highbay flag...

I'm curious to know what the tabs on the left and right edges of the antenna platform are for. Are they just a production artifact?

I'd guess handing features used during the manufacturing of those structural plates through final assembly of the array onto the sat. It appears as though those black ortho plates are long and thin; it appears as though there are 5 of them that makeup the array. Its reasonable to speculate that the PCA is also that wide ("8 elements wide"), and there are probably 2-4 array PCBs in each of those 5 sections (so the user array is actually ~10-20 individual PCAs)

It's possible they are phased array gateway antennas. The per-sat throughput of an all mobile service sat is going to be WAY lower than fixed broadband, so the gateway link capacity doesn't need to be as high; its possible the complexity/cost/packaging of [necessarily lower capacity] flat/fixed phased panels beats the the steerable parabolic gateway antennas that we see on the fixed service starlinks.

Its also possible they're some thermal radiator, though typically one wouldn't aim a radiator right at earth...

It's possible they are basically fixed, non-phased gateway antennas (so, radiating a really wide cone), with some thermal feature on them (the plates that we're looking at).

It's also possible they are small fixed service arrays...if so, likely used for some degree of testing out the D2D functionality. (There's not a lot of value to starlink services have a significantly reduced capacity sat providing production level service.)

The thrusters have the cylindrical red cover on it in the lower right. The ISLs have flat red covers, center right and far lower right. The earth sensors have a flat red cover on it, lower left--they're the ones at a ~45deg angle to the orthogonal. The black cylindrical section running from the thruster all the way to the other side of the sat is the prop tank/structural backbone.

The smaller black pancake-ey cylinder in the upper left (just above the white panel) is likely a motor housing for the ISLs on that side of the sat.

I don't believe the user array unfolds. As noted upthread I don't think there's a proper fixed internet payload on these sats [which would be covered up by an unfolding D2D array]. Among other things, the thickness of the sat just isn't there for multiple folds of the D2D array. We're looking at probably 25-30mm for a user array panel, when stacking up 1) the structural plate (the black plate under the silver user array PCBs with what appears to be orthogrid ribbing, 2) the board itself (the silver covered panels under the round element disks), and 3) the raised round elements that are precisely air-gapped from the boards.

I also don't see any hinge mechanisms. I'd speculate that the two silver/grey brackets on the lower right edge are either lifting features or clamping features for the
stack restraint bars.

Also--noting that its fair to figure SX might not adhere to this logic for a test sat, which these presumably are--phased arrays that serve a hemispherical geometry generally want to be as two-axis symmetric as possible. The geometry of any beam more of less takes on the shape of the array, and you generally want a symmetrical beam pattern on the ground (that of course goes oblong depending on elevation angle). So...if this were to unfold, it would really want to unfold to 4x panels. Only 2x panels would create a very high aspect ration beam cone that would really stretch out at low elevation angles...that increases the difficulty/complexity of traffic scheduling/routing.

Classic space industry there. I'm pretty sure its a contractural requirement for every American built satellite to have a picture taken with a reflection of the highbay flag...

I'd guess handing features used during the manufacturing of those structural plates through final assembly of the array onto the sat. It appears as though those black ortho plates are long and thin; it appears as though there are 5 of them that makeup the array. Its reasonable to speculate that the PCA is also that wide ("8 elements wide"), and there are probably 2-4 array PCBs in each of those 5 sections (so the user array is actually ~10-20 individual PCAs)
OK cool... I don't have much experience in arm-chair dissection of sat engineering via internet pics ... lol

Starlink launches are mostly not even hosted these days. This one has a full lead in with both Kate Tice and Jesse Anderson discussing the Starlink Network now and where it is trying to go.
I imagine this is like airplane take-offs back in the 50-60's exciting at first and then routine...

Actually, I remember as a kid seeing people off at their gate and sometimes staying to watch the plane take off, but I suspect that was more about indulging an 6-yr old by then in the mid-70's...

Now, even without the gate restrictions since 9/11, accompanying somebody to watch their plane take off wouldn't be a thing...

Screenshot of active dishes from today's presentation

View attachment 1008476
As you could tell from last year’s wait lists (before they had enough coverage), southern Ontario in Canada and western Florida are the most heavily used large regions.

Starlink approval timelines by country is almost a proxy for how corrupt and inefficient their governments are. USA/Canada/Europe/Australia/NZ was quick, South American countries slower, Africa is waaay behind.

• Informative
Reactions: JB47394
As you could tell from last year’s wait lists (before they had enough coverage), southern Ontario in Canada and western Florida are the most heavily used large regions.

Starlink approval timelines by country is almost a proxy for how corrupt and inefficient their governments are. USA/Canada/Europe/Australia/NZ was quick, South American countries slower, Africa is waaay behind.
Eastern edge of Ukraine looks pretty bright as well.

Starlink approval timelines by country is almost a proxy for how corrupt and inefficient their governments are
I would add “ruthlessly repressive” to that list. China, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Iran, Turkey, North Korea, Afghanistan, Pakistan, Vietnam, Myanmar, Venezuela, Indonesia; I could go on. I don’t see Starlink being approved in those countries in my lifetime.

Despite being a democracy, India is currently run by a protective hyper-nationalist, so no Starlink for the Indians!

That map does not appear to show Starlink in South Korea, but that country already is one of the most highly-connected in the world and internet access is very fast and low cost, so likely not a suitable market for Starlink.