Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX Internet Satellite Network: Starlink

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That map does not appear to show Starlink in South Korea, but that country already is one of the most highly-connected in the world and internet access is very fast and low cost, so likely not a suitable market for Starlink.

SK goes live sometime this year.

1705177568246.png

Starlink approval timelines by country is almost a proxy for how corrupt and inefficient their governments are.

It is not.

Save for the countries that are obviously against American operated internet (China, Russia) and those that have a strong interest in an alternative solution (India) the temporal element of approval is almost exclusively a function of how valuable the market is to Spacex and thus how strongly they prioritize their global efforts.

It has very little to do with the efficiency (or lack thereof) of any particular government.

It is not.

Save for the countries that are obviously against American operated internet (China, Russia) and those that have a strong interest in an alternative solution (India) the temporal element of approval is almost exclusively a function of how valuable the market is to Spacex and thus how strongly they prioritize their global efforts.

It has very little to do with the efficiency (or lack thereof) of any particular government.
And you know this, how?

Deere (John Deere) is adding Starlink to its agricultural equipment.
JUST IN: $DE John Deere Partners with SpaceX's Starlink for Advanced Farm Connectivity $TSLA $RKLB $SPCE $ASTR $CAT $CTAS
Key Details:
📍 John Deere collaborates with SpaceX's Starlink to provide satellite internet for farm equipment, enhancing digital agriculture.
📍 Deere aims to automate planting and harvesting with Starlink's high-speed internet in remote areas.
📍 This partnership represents a significant step in Deere's multi-billion dollar investment in digital farming technologies.
📍 Starlink's vast satellite fleet, boasting nearly 5,300 satellites, to offer unprecedented connectivity for Deere's machinery.
📍 Deere's chief technology officer, Jahmy Hindman, emphasizes the deal's potential to expand access to advanced agricultural tech.
📍 The agreement underlines Starlink's growing influence, extending from global connectivity solutions to specific industry applications.
📍 Deere's decision influenced by Starlink's rapid signal transmission and the company's self-reliance in satellite construction and launches.
📍 The partnership is a strategic move for Deere, aiming for 10% of its revenue from software service fees by the decade's end. Context/Background: For those new to this development, here's a quick rundown: Deere, a leading farm machinery manufacturer, is advancing its digital farming capabilities by partnering with SpaceX's Starlink, a major player in global satellite internet services.

Why This Matters:
👉 The collaboration is a game-changer in digital agriculture, potentially revolutionizing how farming is conducted in remote areas.
👉 This move could set a new standard for connectivity in the agriculture industry, impacting global food production efficiency.

Market Insights: 📊 Deere's ambitious goal is to derive 10% of its annual revenue from digital services by 2030, following a $55.6 billion equipment sales record in the recent fiscal year.

Expert Statement:
🗨️ Jahmy Hindman, CTO of Deere: "This partnership is about bringing existing technologies to more customers globally."
🗨️ Industry Analyst: "Starlink's involvement in agriculture marks a significant milestone in digital farming evolution."

Impact & Recommendations:
📍 How this could change agriculture: Enhanced connectivity will likely accelerate the adoption of smart farming practices.
📍 Recommendations: Monitor the roll-out in Brazil and the U.S., and watch for potential expansions in other markets.

🔄 Keep following for real-time updates, Don’t forget to like, retweet, and turn on notifications for unparalleled insights.

So, a cable ISP will typically operate their residential service with an oversubscription ratio somewhere around 100:1. Assuming the same for a residential development that opts for the Starlink Community gateway and wants to offer 100Mbps service, that works out to:

$75,000/Gbps / 10 = 10 groups x ($7,500 per 100Mbps)
$7,500 x 100:1 = $75 per user (100 user capacity)
100 users @ $75/100Mbps x 10 = 1,000 homes
$1.25Mil (base station) / 1000 homes = $1,250 / home

So, the monthly cost is in line... could charge $100/mo and pay for the base station as well in just over 4 yrs...

So, a cable ISP will typically operate their residential service with an oversubscription ratio somewhere around 100:1. Assuming the same for a residential development that opts for the Starlink Community gateway and wants to offer 100Mbps service, that works out to:

$75,000/Gbps / 10 = 10 groups x ($7,500 per 100Mbps)
$7,500 x 100:1 = $75 per user (100 user capacity)
100 users @ $75/100Mbps x 10 = 1,000 homes
$1.25Mil (base station) / 1000 homes = $1,250 / home

So, the monthly cost is in line... could charge $100/mo and pay for the base station as well in just over 4 yrs...
Yeah it works, and you'd charge a lot more than $100/mo for such isolated access.

It's hard to charge a lot more than $100 if your customer base can pick it up for $125 (plus HW).
Ah, I'm a bit slow.

Kinda though. If a lot of people live in apartment buildings (like they can in northern climates), or have crappy visibility for a dish, then it might make more sense. But I agree, now we're restricting use cases a lot...

Reactions: mongo
Hi all. Most probably not the right thread to ask but I'll still ask : I have had the Starlink service for the past year (rectangle dish and router without regular ethernet cabling (i.e. it's using Starlink specific cabling and connectors) and it works well. I'd like to know if any off you have had success in disabling wifi while using the ethernet adaptor? I looked at Reddit and found a few threads but nothing helped me on that front.

If there is a better place for this thread, please relocate my question there.

Thanks