Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla BEV Competition Developments

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This thread is called "BEV" explicitly. Some people like to call a REx vehicle a "EV", but it certainly isn't a BEV.

Moderators are free to remove my post but have not so far.

The workhorse truck will have a BMW generator.

I presume a V8 like the mythical Via Trux is too expensive if it is from BMW.

So my guess is a small sub 1.5L 4 or even a sub 1.0L engine.

Which would make the overwhelming power source the battery pack.

Unlike the 330e type vehicles.

Former Tesla executives plan to build $4bn Nordic battery plant
Factory would be Europe’s first major attempt to supply electric vehicles
Subscribe to read
pic.jpg

Global production of battery cells used in electric cars are mostly controlled by Asian companies © Bloomberg

Two former Tesla executives are aiming to set up Europe’s first big battery factory in an attempt to rival Asian manufacturers that dominate the industry as the fight to power electric cars heats up.

Peter Carlsson, a Swede who was the former supply chain head for Tesla until 2015, will on Tuesday announce plans to set up a $4bn factory in the Nordic countries, using in part metals mined in the region.

“If nobody does anything, Europe is going to be completely dependent on an Asian supply chain. Europe has the opportunity to act for its own energy independence. It’s now or never,” Mr Carlsson told the Financial Times.

Northvolt, the company of which Mr Carlsson is chief executive and founder, is seeking to start producing lithium-ion batteries by 2020 and have 32 gigawatt hours (GWh) of annual production by 2023.....

New Nissan boss eyes EVs, Mitsubishi's U.S. role

The overhauled Leaf will arrive by year's end, a spokesman said.

Nissan's next flagship EV will get a longer-range battery that eliminates range anxiety in Japan and major European markets, where daily driving distances are relatively short, he said. And within two years, Nissan will have a vehicle or vehicles -- he did not specify any models -- with battery upgrades that will also take range out of the equation for U.S. consumers. He also did not specify whether the improved EV offering would be the Leaf, leaving open the door for another possible EV entry.

Saikawa says that before 2020, Nissan will be able to reach a range of about 300 miles on a single battery charge. That will make Nissan EVs competitive with traditional vehicles in the U.S., he said.

"Good enough," he said of a 300-mile range. "It's a usable range, 300 miles. I believe that the technology will lead us to go there."

Next EV phase

A 300-mile EV would top the 238-mile range of the Chevrolet Bolt EV. But it is unclear how it will stack up against such rivals as the new lower-priced Tesla Model 3 entering production this summer.

The EV segment is about to enter a new phase, Saikawa said. As carmakers overcome range anxiety with better batteries, they will no longer compete based on technology. Instead, they will appeal to emotions and brand value.

"The period of differentiating ourselves by technology is almost over," Saikawa said. "Then [it] will be a competition of how aggressively you can deploy the portfolio across the models. We would like to be on the aggressive side, the leading side."

Prices will then fall as the number of EV entries expands. The number of EV models is poised to proliferate between 2020 and 2025, he said.

"The real evolution will come when we have a serious plan for the substitution of existing powertrains, say in our major models: the Rogue, Qashqai, X-Trail. A major part of it will be EV," Saikawa said. "This is the time I'm talking about. Maybe 2025."

Nissan has gradually updated the current Leaf to deliver a range of 107 miles. The car remains the world's best-selling EV, and the Renault-Nissan Alliance is still the top EV manufacturer. But Nissan's EV reality falls far short of the goals outlined in 2012 by Ghosn, who predicted at the time that the French-Japanese alliance would sell 1.5 million EVs by 2016.

... As carmakers overcome range anxiety with better batteries, they will no longer compete based on technology. Instead, they will appeal to emotions and brand value.

I find this comment to be extraordinarily strong by Nissan. I read this, essentially, as claiming that the EV industry is quickly becoming a traditional car making industry, where all the things we know / love / expect of car companies will be true of EV companies.

Primarily I see breadth of product line and price points as the point he's making. Then I read into it the rest of what we think of as modern car making - advertising, dealerships, and whatever else that means to you.

If this is a widespread belief among car companies and executives, then it implies huge investment across the industry to not just bring a single quality EV to market, but to bring a full portfolio / range of EV's to market that can compete with the full existing portfolio of ICE vehicles. I don't yet see evidence that this is the belief system, but it's also the first time I've seen a car company executive say this. If the rest of the companies catch up mentally like this, then that sounds to me like outsized profits for Tesla for another 5 years-isa, but not for another 10-15 years-ish.

I hope they really are thinking and acting this way - the world needs a huge number and variety of EV's. (Where is Nissan's GF sized battery supply!?!)

"The period of differentiating ourselves by technology is almost over," Saikawa said. "Then [it] will be a competition of how aggressively you can deploy the portfolio across the models. We would like to be on the aggressive side, the leading side."
They say this, and they still don't have a worldwide fast charging network. While Tesla does.

The period of differentiating by technology will not end until the competition manages to copy some basic things which Tesla already did. They seem to have finally figured out (a) battery thermal control, and (b) range; some have figured out that (c) the regenerative braking belongs on the accelerator pedal; and yet (d) fast charging still seems to be taking them a really long time.

Meanwhile, Tesla's brand value keeps rising.

Reactions: hiroshiy and EinSV
Reactions: hiroshiy
Daimler unveils new battery factory. Gonna be making the batteries for the 10 new Tesla Killers they will have on the road by 2022.

Note: They didn't confirm the capacity of the plant. I sure hope Elon is able to sleep tonight after reading about this... :rolleyes:

Just file this under the large and ever growing folder called "Nobody but Tesla gets it".

Daimler unveils its own new battery Gigafactory for electric vehicles