Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would not compare Model 3 directly to the efficiency of Model S or Model X as both of the latter weigh considerably more, have larger tires and higher wind resistance as they are larger.
I have been looking at teslike tables to get an idea of the useful range at different speeds, but even those must be taken with a grain/bucket of salt as there are plenty of other factors like weather/temperature/rain/humidity, road surface smoothness, hills/road gradient, traffic and so on.
https://teslike.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/3-km-710.png

As you say factors like weather/temperature/rain/humidity, road surface smoothness, hills/road gradient, traffic and so on make a bigger difference than weight. Agreed on X compared to 3 but S compared to 3 (due to S being bigger etc.) will be minimal real life. I drive the S/X all the time, once I get my 3 I’ll compare and I’m tipping I’ll be right (hope to be wrong)....

This is where I got 390km on a full tank from. Figures in the green column. This is about the best I can find prior to actually having the car and seeing what the range based on my own usage is.

It's interesting that most figures talk about highway km's. I wonder what the city km's will be.

3-km-710.png

Keep in mind I am the type of person that gets 50,000km’s on 21inch tyres before needing to replace them (most get less than 30,000km).....I have been labeled the biggest grandma Tesla driver in Australia....
My current ave is 177wh over the 50km. I dont try any form of energy consumption on my S, have 21” wheels, and consider my tyres a good set if I get to 20,000. City driving only, mostly ‘flat’ terrain, with the odd visit to the expressway.

Once you have an EV for a while you realise range anxiety is a non-issue. Start every day with a "full tank" (oversimplification with the 80% charge recommendation). On long trips the superchargers are brilliant (and 1000 time better than public infrastructure), and the stops are shorter and more pleasant than expectations.

Great. That is what I was expecting - great to have it confirmed.

Did you get the quote online or dealing directly with Vero ? online I also get $1176 but when I actual followed on with Vero they gave a quote of $1700 also with $500 excess
This is the official email quote I got in late July after going through the process with Vero over the phone.
She did mention that there was going to be a price increase this month so maybe that is what has happened.

It's interesting that most figures talk about highway km's. I wonder what the city km's will be.
For an EV, the city range will actually be higher than the highway range. ICEs do better on highways because the big energy drain is braking and getting back up to speed: the energy is converted to heat, with no way to recover it. EVs do better in the city because they can capture a large chunk of that momentum energy, put it back into the battery, and use it to get back up to speed; for EVs, the big energy drain is aerodynamic in nature - which is much worse at high (highway) speeds than at low (city) speeds.

This is where I got 390km on a full tank from. Figures in the green column. This is about the best I can find prior to actually having the car and seeing what the range based on my own usage is.

3-km-710.png

The issue here is the average highway speed of 77km/h, on a smooth highway in warm dry conditions the car is almost in its prime, the model 3 would likely average 120wh/km, get onto a country road with a coarse surface at 100km/h and the range will go up near 160wh/km, throw in a wet road and cooler weather and the range will go up near 175wh/km.

For an EV, the city range will actually be higher than the highway range. ICEs do better on highways because the big energy drain is braking and getting back up to speed: the energy is converted to heat, with no way to recover it. EVs do better in the city because they can capture a large chunk of that momentum energy, put it back into the battery, and use it to get back up to speed; for EVs, the big energy drain is aerodynamic in nature - which is much worse at high (highway) speeds than at low (city) speeds.
For reference here are the EPA efficiency figures:

SR+ City 140 MPGe
SR+ Highway 124 MPGe
LR AWD City 120 MPGe
LR AWD Highway 112 MPGe

The SR+ has relatively better City economy because it is lighter. Its city rating is 12.9% higher than highway while LR AWD City is only 7% higher than highway.

For an EV, the city range will actually be higher than the highway range.

In my experience its the other way round, for reasonably flat highways at least. Model S, 160-200Wh/km in city, a steady 150-160 at 100km/h on the freeway. In any case, it accords well with the EPA range quoted for the car (battery indicator kms assume 190Wh/hm). I'd expect a 3 to do a little better in both places, and an X to do a little worse. EPA range is generally believable, NEDC ranges are pure fantasy,

I've read somewhere in regen braking, only about 50% of the energy (to achieve the given speed) ends up back in the battery. So although much better than an ICE, there's still a considerable loss of energy. Most economical driving would be a constant speed and slow, slow enough before aerodynamics becomes a significant component of the drag equation, i.e. below 80km/h.

Just got this txt in NZ, but did all the steps last night. No vin yet as I ticked the trade-in option to see what they're offer. Wasn't too bad, 25k for a 2015 i3 with 40km on it.

Delivery milestones are now available for you to complete in your Tesla Account. To progress your order, please log in and complete the steps as soon as you can. Thanks, Tesla Team

• Love
Reactions: one4spl