Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla still doesn't know about the Rozelle Interchange

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had MY 2024 a week and the map seems now to show the tunnels, but ignores them.
Yep, the "display" comes from Google maps, which is real-time. The navigation data comes from TomTom, and gets periodically updated (see your nav version).
So, you are seeing the tunnels, but the nav isn't using them. TomTom has been updated, and the next Nav update should include them.

(Occasionally, you can see inconsistencies between the names of things. If you go into the editing of Google Maps and TomTom, you will see they are sometimes different. Don't ask me why the navigation seeks a second opinion!)

Kind of related but some time ago I was navigating to a certain address in Fortitude Valley in Brisbane. I pretty much knew the way to get there but wanted get guidance on the last little bit as there are lots of one way streets etc. As I was getting close it started to tell me to do some very strange things. I started to follow its directions and soon realised that it was not leading me in the right direction. The map showed the right destination. I could see it was only a few blocks away but the nav was telling me to go way back out of town. I ended up getting my wife to use Apple Maps on her phone to guide us there. Once I got to the destination and could properly pay attention to what was going on I realised that there was a tunnel directly below the building I was at and the Tesla nav was trying to take me to that point in the tunnel rather than to the street address I actually put in.

This issue has nothing to do with GPS. While the map tiles on the screen use Google data and show the Rozelle tunnels, the issue is that Tesla's navigation service, which I understand is provided by a third party called Mapbox, is not aware they exist. This means it's both incapable of routing you through them (at any time, not just when you're in them) and gets very confused when you are in them, because as far as the navigator is concerned you're on the surface and driving through walls.

• Funny
Reactions: Vostok
It's not totally clear exactly what Tesla uses and believe it varies from region to region (eg. 3g intersection displays in China from Baidu).
This makes it hard to work out where to report errors.

At a base it seems to use Valhalla (now owned by MapBox) which can integrate various providers. Best I have seen is in US/ Aus it's some combination of TomTom and OSM.

Reactions: B3AU
a certain address in Fortitude Valley in Brisbane
Yup. Had EXACTLY this happen to me. My wife is like: "That's a one-way street!" and I'm like, okay...thanks for nothing Tesla navigator. Sometimes you have to go with your own memory and remember that the street signs are what the police will fine you for not following, not the navigator. And the Valley seems to have some weird glitches in it.

Reactions: muddie
The AU-2024.14 map update makes a dog's breakfast of the new dual carriageway section of the Barton Highway, though. Heading north, it keeps trying to divert you onto the southbound carriageway for some reason!
(This is also further evidence that TomTom is the source of the routing data at least in Australia, because the rubbish data is clearly visible in TomTom Mapshare as well).

The big question is: "What's it like now, with the update, in the Rozelle Interchange? "

I put a route into the car and it had "Rozelle Interchange" listed as one of the Nav points, so that is presumably a small improvement (that the Nav now knows about it). But what happens underground? Anyone tried it?

Reactions: Maximillan
I went through this afternoon from Drummoyne to Pyrmont and it's working as it should be - I haven't updated my software in the past three weeks so I'm guessing that a new map version must have been applied.

The Nav plotted for me to take the tunnel off Iron Cove bridge, and TACC held the 60km/h limit flawlessly through the tunnel. The only blight is that the estimated time to get through that section was way too conservative.

I went through this afternoon from Drummoyne to Pyrmont and it's working as it should be - I haven't updated my software in the past three weeks so I'm guessing that a new map version must have been applied.

The Nav plotted for me to take the tunnel off Iron Cove bridge, and TACC held the 60km/h limit flawlessly through the tunnel. The only blight is that the estimated time to get through that section was way too conservative.
Good news

I live near Rozelle and am happy to confirm that Tesla navigation through the interchange is now working, with one major glitch. If you try to navigate from Victoria Rd/Iron Cove Bridge (north/top of image) towards the M8 (south/bottom) the navigation tells you to enter the tunnel and then turn left to enter a loop:

1000018311.png

Only problem is, this loop is completely fictitious! You need to turn right here, not left, where there's nothing but a solid tunnel wall.