Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla Cybertruck paint jobs are confusing people
Anyone got an opinion on this? Could they be recruiting for gen 3 under the Cybertruck banner?

BTW, Tesla has 4833 open job vacancies in NA alone. At what point does this affect progress? How can influencers help get word out? Should Tesla have a general Recruitment Day?
We’ve seen a partly built Cybertruck, it has paint on a lot of interior parts.

Not a huge mystery.

I’m feeling mean in the moment and I want to see him crushed (as in very wrong) and at this point I don’t care in which direction. 383,000 or 483,000 works for me. Meow!
I agree, except for the “don’t care which direction” part. I want to see him crushed in the correct direction.

I have trouble taking his predictions seriously when they swing so much towards the end of the quarter after the weekly data from China makes his previous guesses obviously way wrong.

I think this is mostly whining by lagacy automakers expecting to get their way with the local Gov't. Good luck w. that in China! It's not like those automakers don't already have to meet similarly stringent emissions specs to sell their wares in Europe and N. America. They already have the tech, they're just trying to save a few bux on COGS in China at the expense of Chinese lungs (which are free to foreign automakers).

So what's likely to happen IMHO is the follows:
  1. Come July 1st the new rules go into effect and automakers grudgingly comply,
  2. any unsold inventory becomes unsellable in China,
  3. said unsold cars are loaded on a boat to New Zealand (etc), and
  4. foreign automakers continue to drag their feet, bitch'n'moan.
Sound about right? ;)

Cheers!

I don‘t have the know how to asses how difficult it is to build fossil fuel cars which comply with the new 6b standard. At least, NOx emissions for example can be very effectively reduced by implementing an Adblue System. Then there are many improvements which could be implemented to increase the overall efficiency, for example optimizing the aerodynamics.

Below I coplementied my table of the EU Emission Standards for Class M1 cars (passenger cars with max. 8 seats in addition to the driver‘s) of my post 7194841.

Emissions/kmEU - current Petrol 6dEU- current Diesel 6dEU - future Petrol & Diesel 7, starting 2025 or laterChina 6a passenger cars <2.5 tons (class I) until 30.6.23China 6b passenger cars >2.5 tons(class I) starting 1.7.23
NOx mg6080606035
PM mg4.54.54.54.53
PN106x10^116x10^116x10^116x10^116x10^11
CO mg1000500500700500
THC mg-10010010050
NMHC-68686835
35NH3 mg--20--
N2O mg---2020

FskwYIHX0AAKXD3

So according to Troy, Austin is pretty much done ramping for the year. Meanwhile Berlin will double in Q2. Shanghai which had the new years break in Q1 used that break to wind down Model Y from 130k to 100k/quarter. Because demand is over in China and they will just move those Shanghai exports from China to Berlin.

My guess is that Tesla will do as Elon said and lower prices rather than lower production. We will see what happens.

LOL. More likely quarter end close - when a lot of pre-determined trades happen.

LOL indeed -- (imma guess you didn't check your thesis even against the most recent quarter?)

The final day of trading for Q4 2022 was Dec 30. Volume at the 4:00 pm minute that day was 2,438,365 (2.44M). So that's only 34.4% of the per-minute volume we saw today at 4:00 pm (7.01M shares).

TSLA.2022-12-30.16-00.png

Total TSLA volume for Dec 30, 2022: 157.8M shares
After-hrs volume for Dec 30, 2022: 2,204,785 (2.2M shares) thru 8:00 pm

As of 5:40 ET today, there have been 1,954,462 shares traded afterhours

So according to Troy, Austin is pretty much done ramping for the year. Meanwhile Berlin will double in Q2. Shanghai which had the new years break in Q1 used that break to wind down Model Y from 130k to 100k/quarter. Because demand is over in China and they will just move those Shanghai exports from China to Berlin.

My guess is that Tesla will do as Elon said and lower prices rather than lower production. We will see what happens.
No worries, there are 9 months left of the year for him to upgrade that prediction.

Troy’s best predictions are the ones he makes about things that have already happened. /s

I agree, except for the “don’t care which direction” part. I want to see him crushed in the correct direction.

I have trouble taking his predictions seriously when they swing so much towards the end of the quarter after the weekly data from China makes his previous guesses obviously way wrong.
From a quick glance @ Twitter, Troy’s original estimate in the first week of January was 426k and then it moved up as high as 438k and as low as 409k.

Many things happened in Q1 that could have changed the outlook, from the price cuts at the start of the year to price increases in the US to various shorter-term discounts on inventory in China, Europe, free supercharging and discounts on domestic Model X inventory, etc etc.

I am surprised Troy does not even have an entry for the Semi. What are peoples predictions? I'm thinking surely 500-1,000 in this year? There is no way cybertruck outruns the semi? Semi already has some actual customer vehicles in the wild, and semi uses no radical new body-construction technology the way CT does.
If there are not 500 semis in the wild by Christmas I will be a very surprised investor.

I am surprised Troy does not even have an entry for the Semi. What are peoples predictions? I'm thinking surely 500-1,000 in this year? There is no way cybertruck outruns the semi? Semi already has some actual customer vehicles in the wild, and semi uses no radical new body-construction technology the way CT does.
If there are not 500 semis in the wild by Christmas I will be a very surprised investor.
Troy has the Semi volume production starting in 2025 and won’t include them until they’re in volume

Cybertruck will probably outrun the semi.

The current process on the semi is a rounding error on what will be Cybertruck volumes, the number that matters for semi production is when they get their new assembly line in place. Only way Semi “wins” this would be if they got that online fairly quickly and struggled with Cybertruck production.

Most likely we’re looking at 5,000 - 20,000 Cybertrucks. There is a tiny chance Cybertruck production this year will exceed what peak Semi production will look like. When does the new semi production line start up? I think we’re a little ways off from that.

Last edited:
Cybertruck will probably outrun the semi.
Depends on the timeframe, and we are splitting hairs because neither is likely to be shipping in high volumes by the end of the year.

Elon is on the record as predicting a slow ramp for the CT, hard to know exactly what that means, and even Tesla probably only have a rough idea of how the first 3-6 months of the ramp will go.

But CT shipping in any volume is a big leap forward.