Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So Tesla is going to slow down the rate of supercharger deployment? While increasing production and giving all other EV brands access to the network as well?

Maybe its me, but shouldn't they be increasing the rate of expansion, not slowing it?!?!? 🤨

Definitely NOT just you.

Then again-

That's from Oct 2018. Considerably more than 3-6 months have passed and the "foolish oversight" still ain't fixed.

So Tesla is going to slow down the rate of supercharger deployment? While increasing production and giving all other EV brands access to the network as well?

Maybe its me, but shouldn't they be increasing the rate of expansion, not slowing it?!?!? 🤨
Want a guess? I suspect they are slowing down so they can focus on inductive Superchargers. Don't forget the Cybertruck has wiring for future inductive charging built in. No point in putting out a bunch of V3 and V4 when they are going to be replaced by the next generation.

Starting to look like the strategy is to go all in on the RT, whilst cutting back everywhere else.

The risk is that the RT is not a success in time whilst the existing business does not generate enough revenue.

Whilst single-handedly keeping the US as a leader in space launches and kick starting the EV revolution, he was lucky in the past. (The last rocket worked for spacex. Last minute funding for tesla)

Since the purchase of Twitter I would say his luck has run out. Now the question is will this gamble pay off?
It’s weird how I didn’t ignore a single person for eight years on this forum, but now it’s just out of control.

Tesla isn't the only game out there and doesn't have to handle all of the charging infrastructure needs.

The pace of NEVI installations by multiple CPOs is starting to pick up.

A bunch, 6, of the OEMs, that are Tesla NACS "partners" are funding a competing network, IONNA. Which may eventually, maybe, start rolling out their own huge, 30k stall, network. (The first stations are supposed to open this summer.) I think they should instead funnel that money to help expand the Supercharger network, maybe branding sites that they help fund. (Maybe their access to the Supercharger network should be put towards the end of the queue since it seems like they want to do it themselves?)

My .02 on Supercharging on our April 6th solar eclipse road trip from L.A. to TX in our Long Range Model Y
Our first day plan is to get to Deming, NM, about 700 miles

Left home at 6AM at 100%,
First charge stop is at Morongo just off the 10 freeway
250 kw Chargers located near the 24hr convenience store
No waiting, and near all the gas pumps, so u can grab windshield washer if u need it.

That gives us enough charge to get us up the hill and along to the CA/AZ border.

Next stop Quartzsite, AZ

We plugged in at the solar canopy covered 80 250kw stalls, and there is another 20 something stalls less than a quarter mile away.

Grabbed a coffee at the “Terribles” convenience store, walked around the chargers for some exercise, then after about 25 minutes we’re on our way.

Next charge stop is Buckeye, AZ just before Phoenix
These are 150kw, and this where things start to slow down, the chargers are all in use, and our charger gives us 34kw.

We walk around the mall area twice, and stop inside some of the big box stores.

After about 35 minutes we have enough charge to get us to Casa Grande, AZ

Casa Grande is another 150kw, and only 6 stalls, same slow charge as at Buckeye.

We have lunch at Culver’s restaurant next to the chargers, and since it is slow charging we decided to continue to the next charging stop at Tucson

The Tucson West River Road 250kw Superchargers we go to are about 3 miles off the freeway, which adds time.
After charging in Tucson, we have enough charge to get to the 150kw Superchargers at Wilcox, AZ, so off we go.

Now, this is where the in-vehicle UI fails us.

The Supercharger UI in our vehicle shows 8 stalls at Wilcox, and all stalls available, so we drive past the Superchargers south of Tucson at the Pilot station, and continue to Wilcox. Approximately 30 miles outside of Wilcox, the UI says, no stalls available and greater than 25 minute wait! If we had known this we could have charged at the last Superchargers just past Tucson, and made it to Deming, NM.
As we pull into the Superchargers in Wilcox, there is a long line of around 20 Teslas. At least two of the stalls are non-working.

There is a friendly vibe among the Tesla folk, and one guy informs us it will be about 2 hours from where we are in line to get to a charger.
It was about 3 hours later when we leave Wilcox, and we get to Deming, NM at 10pm.

The rest of the trip was mostly smooth, luckily a new 250 kw Supercharger had just opened in Ozona, TX, and we did bypass a 2 hour wait at the Superchargers in Fort Stockton, TX on the way back.

The Supercharger Network got stress tested in many States during the eclipse, and it had quite a few points of failure

My thoughts; Yes, the permitting process for new Superchargers is slow, so the first order of business would be to upgrade all 150kw to 250kw

And also, fix the UI to actually show the reality of what is happening at all Superchargers, so that anyone road tripping can know exactly what the situation is.

Want a guess? I suspect they are slowing down so they can focus on inductive Superchargers. Don't forget the Cybertruck has wiring for future inductive charging built in. No point in putting out a bunch of V3 and V4 when they are going to be replaced by the next generation.

But, Tesla just got the entire North American EV market to shift to their NACS standard, and everyone is signing on to use the Tesla Supercharging Network. This isn't just about Tesla EV's anymore, this is about the entire US EV market starting next year. And NOW Tesla is slowing SC expansion? 🤨

Seems like ruthless thing to do at this moment of the EV industry to me, and it feels very much not in line with Tesla's mission statement.

I think that is right, but inductive changing will be for RTs.

It hasn't escaped my attention that many of the presenters on Investor Day are no longer at the company.

What has changed since Investor Day?

1. Increased focus on autonomy and AI training hardware investments.
  2. Macro environment has deteriorated with high interest rates and a slowing of the Chinese economy.
IMO if the macro environment didn't change then the increased investment in compute AI would not be a big deal. Head count reduction were planned for a long time, but perhaps were originally not going to be this drastic.

People still searching for explanations are underestimating how much Tesla is investing in AI compute.

There is a good chance that some of the mangers who were sacked were unwilling or unable to deliver the required head count reductions. Now Elon has everyone's attention and one way or another the head count reductions will proceed.

We are only going to be able to judge in hindsight how good this strategy pivot was. I have some reservations, but I also know Elon has a good track record, and nothing is permanently broken.

The AI compute capex spend should be more or less a one time shot, I don't fully understand why Elon is going all in and going so big.

Don't forget the other 6 million (>7 million before end of year) Teslas on the road do not have wiring for future inductive charging.

Nor does any other brand of EV which are all adding NACS ports to their respective models.

The mountains of Appalachia are a very popular tourist destination - we have a home near the middle of the map below.

53690801645_04499d7822_z.jpg

This hardly seems like the time to slow down expansion.

Here's a piece of technical analysis that applies specifically to TSLA that I've discovered during my eleven years on this message board.
Whenever negative trolls suddenly shower the board with relentless arguments, that is usually near the very early portion of a major sustained advance in share price.

What is that called in TA lingo then?

A Troll Resistance Line?

Inductive chargers also need people to handle the installation. If anything it might even be more work. And yes, I know Tesla mostly uses contractors

Starting to look like the strategy is to go all in on the RT, whilst cutting back everywhere else.

The risk is that the RT is not a success in time whilst the existing business does not generate enough revenue.

Whilst single-handedly keeping the US as a leader in space launches and kick starting the EV revolution, he was lucky in the past. (The last rocket worked for spacex. Last minute funding for tesla)

Since the purchase of Twitter I would say his luck has run out. Now the question is will this gamble pay off?
Nominated for most straw man's in a single post.