Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
MP3Mike is right about most of the things he mentions. But marriage of skateboard and body almost certainly happens in the tent.

Maybe, but didn't Elon say that marriage is 100% automated, and everyone has said that GA4 is 100% manual so those facts don't reconcile.

Edit: OK, Elon didn't say that Lars Moravy did:

In some instances, Tesla’s gamble on automation has paid off. A separate production line that makes the Model S and the Model X has a series of 14 stations, with 17 workers, in the area where battery packs and electric motors are married to the vehicles’ underbodies. For the Model 3, that function involves just five work stations and no workers at all, said Lars Moravy, the company’s director of chassis engineering.

Reactions: dc_h
I though so at first also, but later images/ movies show only a painted frame arriving at GA4.
The wiring, brake lines and such need to go on before the skateboard/ power train.

Do you have link(s) to the videos of that? Do we have confirmation on when those videos were actually taken?

Are they also showing videos of the skateboards being fork-lifted into GA4? Or where are they coming from? (I doubt they are building the skateboard in GA4 with all the welding and such.)

Last edited:
Reactions: neroden
Full disclosure...

I am an absolute imbicile when it comes to the stock market. With that said can somebody please...in very simple terms...explain to me what is going on?

5000 Model 3s per week was supposed to be a major positive milestone. So rather than having a positive impact, the stock tanks. What is actually happening to send it into this spiral? I understand the concept of shorting. So how does the institutional entities wield this kind of power to manipulate the market like this? This big of a price swing can't possibly be the result of individual investors bailing out. This seems to be a massive planned attack of some sort. Please explain how this is happening. Not crying in my beer or anything, just trying to understand how this is happening.

Thanks for any help.

Dan
Here's my take on this week’s action. Elon taunted everyone with ‘short burn in 3 weeks’, so weak longs decided to buy, and weak shorts closed their positions.

When then numbers came to light, they were very good* (The asterisk is for the extra effort required to make the numbers, leaving doubt as to whether it is sustainable). There were also no white swans released by Tesla (yet).

The weak longs saw that this wouldn’t be enough for a short squeeze, then all shorts (both weak and long) know that the whales are on vacay this week. Smelling blood in the water, they pounced.

Do you have link(s) to the videos of that? Do we have confirmation on when those videos were actually taken?

Are they also showing videos of the skateboards being fork-lifted into GA4? Or where are they coming from? (I doubt they are building the skateboard in GA4 with all the welding and such.)

Somewhere around here on Twitterverse.
They showed the painted bodies without doors on the travel frames being hauled to GA4. So body line and paint are completed along with de-dooring.

I think the original line(s) do have auto marriage, but there is not requirement for it to be done that way, a lift and good alignment or a slide table is all that is needed. Haven't seen the skateboards, but they are may be on the same type fixtures as the automatic line, unless those are integrated auto-carts.

Full disclosure...

I am an absolute imbicile when it comes to the stock market. With that said can somebody please...in very simple terms...explain to me what is going on?

5000 Model 3s per week was supposed to be a major positive milestone. So rather than having a positive impact, the stock tanks. What is actually happening to send it into this spiral? I understand the concept of shorting. So how does the institutional entities wield this kind of power to manipulate the market like this? This big of a price swing can't possibly be the result of individual investors bailing out. This seems to be a massive planned attack of some sort. Please explain how this is happening. Not crying in my beer or anything, just trying to understand how this is happening.

Thanks for any help.

Dan
I was reading Ray Dalio’s book, Principles, and he talked about his surprise when the market rallied the day after the USA abandoned the gold standard. It was inflationary and would hurt stocks in the long run, but the market responded positively. The 1070’s would be very bearish for the decade, but the market is weird and seems to respond as if it were Opposite Day. I thought it might drop, not this much, but I think this whole situation will make Tesla stronger and make the eventual bounce and run stronger.
Anyhow, sell the news is the short answer. Once this kurfuffle is over, we can start rising on rumor of 6000mand 7000. News that would help would be 25,000 July Model 3 deliveries. Tesla energy getting 5 billion in sales might help and a surprise reveal of 500,000 orders in China and a plant ready for production on January 1st. Maybe a 20 billion dollar Saudi solar\battery buy with an investment by the prince? A 5 billion tsla investment by the saudis would take up the entire float, and a big sale would keep fund the gigafactory’s next phase.

The Saudi story is the only one that would crush the shorts, although an added 5% Tencent stake could wipe Chanos out as well.

Thanks, I get the concept, just trying to understand how this is happening. Seems to have absolutly no basis in fact or reality with respect to the company's performance. Tesla misses target...price not effected or goes up. Tesla realized a target...stock tanks.

Dan

TSLA SP is rational only to longs. The long range potential is enormous. Short range trading is beyond comprehension. The explanation of gaming the market with algos is clearly explained above. We can't match it. That's why I am in favor of a minimal tax on each share sold or purchased. That should stop the practice of machine trading and level the playing field for we retail types. But then that assumes rationality in our tax code or rational management by the SEC.

Reality always boxes my ears when I impose rationality on politics. Ad to this we are in the age of fake news. The idea is to get us all to enter the cave of mere appearances—where things can be manipulated—from the reality outside when/where things meant what they are. (Due respect for Socrates' allegory of the cave.)

The really scary part is depending upon a rational voter. In Federalist 51 Madison starts with the proposition "A dependence on the people is, no doubt, the primary control on the government; but experience has taught mankind the necessity of auxiliary precautions." Unfortunately his auxiliary precautions, our Constitution, has failed since faction, one faction, now prevails. Can we depend on the people? If not, I'm outa here before the Canadians build the wall. Not an advice, but still....

The IRS needs a wavier from the OEM to release the data.

Really? Read Internal Revenue Bulletin: 2009-48 | Internal Revenue Service

" If a manufacturer (or, in the case of a foreign vehicle manufacturer, its domestic distributor) fails to make a quarterly report in accordance with section 5.05 of this notice and at the time specified in section 6.02 of this notice, the acknowledgment letter issued under section 5.04 of this notice may be withdrawn..."

No waiver required. Auto Manufacturers that hide behind IRC Section 6103 are deceptively deceiving the public. With all the "hate" out there do you think no one will press their congress person for an audit of the required quarterly reports (and for that matter of the tax returns of those who flipped M3s while claiming the credits)?

• Disagree
Reactions: neroden
Really? Read Internal Revenue Bulletin: 2009-48 | Internal Revenue Service

" If a manufacturer (or, in the case of a foreign vehicle manufacturer, its domestic distributor) fails to make a quarterly report in accordance with section 5.05 of this notice and at the time specified in section 6.02 of this notice, the acknowledgment letter issued under section 5.04 of this notice may be withdrawn..."

No waiver required. Auto Manufacturers that hide behind IRC Section 6103 are deceptively deceiving the public. With all the "hate" out there do you think no one will press their congress person for an audit of the required quarterly reports (and for that matter of the tax returns of those who flipped M3s while claiming the credits)?

My understanding is that the OEM must report the numbers to the IRS, but the IRS cannot divulge the numbers to the public without the permission of/ waiver from the OEM.

Tesla's valuation is at this point largely based on future potential. A couple of profitable quarters will not by any stretch fundamentally change that since the valuation still won't be supported by the current financials. But it will certainly provide a valuation floor and also boost "future potential" valuation because some of that potential has been "resolved" into material reality. Until a good portion of valuation of the company is based on actualized potential, not on future potential, it is possible to influence the "market consensus" valuation with media and stock manipulation.

You can see that with production and delivery update investor communication, Tesla could simply report the numbers,which they did in the past. In this case they chose to reveal reservation number, offer guidance on financials and M3 production quantity a month out. Why would they choose to do that? Of course one could say it's to provide investors with some guidance that sets their expectation. But I can't help but think this was done to positively influence the stock, in hopes for a rally based on what got revealed. Except that it doesn't work, because only a small portion of valuation is based on these facts and most of it is based on expectations and opinions that are easily manipulated.

I am by nature very suspicious, generally speaking, of explanations of adverse events that tend to put the blame on invisible enemies.

BUT.

Ever since I read Jesse’s reference to Taibbi’s account of the lengths scumbags like Chanos and the rest of his ilk are prepared to go to in order to obliterate their targets of choice, I cannot see the hysterical media coverage and the current market action as anything other than a virulent, rabid, concerted attack conducted by very motivated and powerful players hell-bent to stop Tesla at any cost.

There are plenty of small-time players out there with levels of stupidity approaching Spiegel’s (only asymptotically, because it’s really hard to top that dude) who fulfill their destiny of useful idiots by acting as social media amplifiers of the incessant lies meant to tarnish Tesla in the eyes of the general public. But these guys control at most 7 figures each; dummies like them are never in charge of billions of dollars.

No, the really vicious and capable adversaries are psycopaths like Chanos, who know how to play this game and stand to make ungodly amounts of money, and the incumbents in various industries whose lunch is in clear danger of being served in Tesla’s cafeteria in a rapidly approaching future. Both are motivated by cold self-interest, clearly, but I’m absolutely convinced that a visceral hatred of Musk himself is now their primary driver. He just cannot be allowed to win.

You better believe this was a bear raid. It has nothing to do with any fundamentals or benign market reality. This is a fight to the death led by the orcs against the pink unicorn and it will go much darker than you think before it all settles, one way or the other.
No matter how much they cheat and lie, the future is pretty well set now. People want these products and are willing to wait years in line for them. The shills could have killed off Tesla years ago but they never took it seriously. Now it is too late. They can delay but they can't stop the future. In the end we win!

Here's my take on this week’s action. Elon taunted everyone with ‘short burn in 3 weeks’, so weak longs decided to buy, and weak shorts closed their positions.

When then numbers came to light, they were very good* (The asterisk is for the extra effort required to make the numbers, leaving doubt as to whether it is sustainable). There were also no white swans released by Tesla (yet).

The weak longs saw that this wouldn’t be enough for a short squeeze, then all shorts (both weak and long) know that the whales are on vacay this week. Smelling blood in the water, they pounced.
Best synopsis I've read on it. Well put.

Status
Not open for further replies.