Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The next big milestone for FSD is 11. It is a significant upgrade and fundamental changes to several parts of the FSD stack including totally new way to train the perception NN.

From AI day and Lex Fridman interview we have a good sense of what might be included.

- Object permanence both temporal and spatial
- Moving from “bag of points” to objects in NN
- Creating a 3D vector representation of the environment all in NN
- Planner optimization using NN / Monte Carlo Tree Search (MCTS)
- Change from processed images to “photon count” / raw image
- Change from single image perception to surround video
- Merging of city, highway and parking lot stacks a.k.a. Single Stack

Lex Fridman Interview of Elon. Starting with FSD related topics.

Here is a detailed explanation of Beta 11 in "layman's language" by James Douma, interview done after Lex Podcast.

Here is the AI Day explanation by in 4 parts.

screenshot-teslamotorsclub.com-2022.01.26-21_30_17.png

Here is a useful blog post asking a few questions to Tesla about AI day. The useful part comes in comparison of Tesla's methods with Waymo and others (detailed papers linked).

Last edited:
Another thing, regarding highway behaviors:
When it passes a slower vehicle, why not get back into the right lane after the pass is completed? I hate how it hangs in the left/passing lane until someone is on your ass to move over, half the time, it doesn’t move over fast enough anyways, and the car on your ass ends up passing you on the right. It’s aggravating.
Yes! Seems like it would be a simple fix, hopefully soon.

Score another point for 11.4.3 scaring the crap out of me. Headed south on Latrobe road in El Dorado Hills, CA (two lanes in each direction) in the right hand lane. Coming up on a bicyclist on the right right shoulder but he is far right. Plenty of space so zero need for the car to do anything. A car is coming from behind to pass me in the left lane. Just before the car is about to pass me FSD decides it needs to give the cyclist a ton of room so starts to head left pretty aggressively just as the car is passing in the left lane. I took over immediately and steered the car back into the right hand lane. The big question is whether my car would have hit the passing car. Sorry FSD, I am not going to wait and see. I felt like I averted an accident caused by FSD moving left when there was no need. Feels like the FSD programmers try to fix one problem and cause another worse problem sometimes. Not using 11.4.3 anymore. I get annoyed by FSD having issues with a simple stop sign scenario, but this is the first time it really scared me.

• Helpful
Reactions: jebinc
Score another point for 11.4.3 scaring the crap out of me. Headed south on Latrobe road in El Dorado Hills, CA (two lanes in each direction) in the right hand lane. Coming up on a bicyclist on the right right shoulder but he is far right. Plenty of space so zero need for the car to do anything. A car is coming from behind to pass me in the left lane. Just before the car is about to pass me FSD decides it needs to give the cyclist a ton of room so starts to head left pretty aggressively just as the car is passing in the left lane. I took over immediately and steered the car back into the right hand lane. The big question is whether my car would have hit the passing car. Sorry FSD, I am not going to wait and see. I felt like I averted an accident caused by FSD moving left when there was no need. Feels like the FSD programmers try to fix one problem and cause another worse problem sometimes. Not using 11.4.3 anymore. I get annoyed by FSD having issues with a simple stop sign scenario, but this is the first time it really scared me.
Yeah this can happen. It usually fixes itself when it realizes a car is there but it’s now worth risking it.

I rarely watch an hour long video ;)

But at 1:10:11 it waited on the car from the left and then moved. So didn't jump the sign.

One thing I noticed near my house is that instead of stopping at stop line and then again at the creep wall - it stopped once at creep wall and then moved on. If that is a new change - it's excellent news.
I have several obstructed view intersections in my neighborhood where there is NO Stop Sign. FSD works really well. Slows down appropriately when it approaches the intersection then smoothly moves to the creep line before making the decision to go or stay. The best part is I never wonder what FSD is up to as the movement feels predicable and exactly how a human does it. This is how FSD should work when there are Stop signs. Behavior started with 10.69.x

Interestingly at 1 intersection the town added a physical stop sign and now FSD does a crappy job with the smoothness gone. Still on v11.4.2

Last edited:
It seems like the more 'fixes' and features the team attempts to add that many more FSDj shortcomings are presented. Tesla says we have 360 degs of visibility but it may only be true at times and that doesn't add safety.

Last edited:
Against my better judgement, and commitment to myself, I turned the Junk on while heading to Home Depot. While attempting to make a sharper right turn, it creeps and then tried to launch out in front of a Corvette. Had I not slammed the brakes, an accident would have definitely happened. No exaggeration here. 11.4.3 is crap. 💩

• Informative
Reactions: dflowerz and kabin
Against my better judgement, and commitment to myself, I turned the Junk on while heading to Home Depot. While attempting to make a sharper right turn, it creeps and then attempted to launch out in front of a Corvette. Had I not slammed the brakes, an accident would have definitely happened. No exaggeration here. 11.4.3 is crap.
j11.4.3 seems to have lost some sanity. It doesn't play well with traffic. Maybe that's a reason for the quick j11.4.4 turn?

Against my better judgement, and commitment to myself, I turned the Junk on while heading to Home Depot. While attempting to make a sharper right turn, it creeps and then tried to launch out in front of a Corvette. Had I not slammed the brakes, an accident would have definitely happened. No exaggeration here. 11.4.3 is crap. 💩
Agree. This is my highest priority for FSD to fix and I suspect some of the problem is related to the limited view of the B-pillar. Most of the dangerous launches in front of oncoming cars is at obstructed view intersections.