Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help me decide Model Y performance or Model 3 performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ordered the MYP ; just waiting on a VIN (couple weeks now so hopefully soon)
This weekend I went to a SC as they had great selection and did a demo drive again of the MYP and a 24 model 3 AWD.
Cannot test drive the M3P anywhere.

Brought the family along this time so back seat room could be compared.
Happy with my 24 MYP decision ; it offers enough fun along with more utility and range I can get by with so meets my needs and budget. Will be a good daily commuter for me.

Driving them back to back I definitely hear the road noise improvements of the refresh 3 that probably stood out the most to me ; but honestly it still feels like the same car.
Much less road noise check, smoother ride yes ; couple of nice interior improvements - but nothing earth shattering it is not a completely new car in my experience. If the range was 100 miles more that to me would have been more significant than anything they actually did.
The ambient lights I can buy a kit and self install that will likely be 70% as good as the OEM one.
The rear back seat screen can likewise buy a kit and self install one of those ; will likely only be half as good functionality as OEM but the option is available.
My wife noticed the ventilated/cooled seats more than I did, to me even on the highest setting on a hot day I didn't feel the airflow. I imagine I would on a long highway drive.

The 3 has been great so it is not like I am saying anything bad about the Highland 3 just feel if you for whatever reason did not like the 2023 or prior model 3 you are not going to love the 2024 model 3 ; IMO.

Since I was sold already on the added space benefits the Y will provide, the main point of my drive was to convince myself that buying a 24 is the right choice over waiting for the Juniper in 2025 ; current costs / incentives being the major reason to buy this year. I predict the 2025 Model Y will likely do the same things as the 3 refresh ; nothing else unexpected.

Anyway just adding my thoughts as sometimes we get caught up in the all of the You Tube click bait agenda videos which can create unrealistic expectations on either side.

Everyone has their own circumstances and use cases. If I am shopping b/t these 2, I'd go for the new Highland M3P. It is quite possibly the most performance focused Tesla right now. Not only it is fast, it is lighter too. That would mean better handling characteristics.

It wouldn't be my only car as I have other vehicles to haul stuff around (Model Y's main advantage). However if it is your only vehicle and you need a "one-size fits" all vehicle, the MYP should fit the bill. Being a bit of a purist, the M3P would be my go to vehicle. Apart from the Highland upgrades and good looks, it is a bloody good deal with the rebates you Yanks have! Dammit!

On second thoughts, no go buy the MYP. That way Tesla will see no one is buying the M3PH and subsequently drop its price for me. Yes buy the Y please! :)

Don't disagree that the Model 3P really has set an amazing bar for it's price point.

My practical side is telling me I don't need or even have a use case for that level of performance as long as the MYP can give me enough performance to satisfy me than it's added utility and space will be more useful to me.

What I need is a good daily commuter. I think any of the 3 and Y models performance and non-performance meets that criteria. AWD is required with my driveway in the winter.

I don't need the extra space in the same way I don't need the performance as we do also own a ICE SUV ; I have had to use that on a handful of occasions over the past few years when something was too big to fit in the 3 but consider that my wife's car and the Tesla my car so will be nice to not have a space difference with the Y.

The convenience is more the kids will like the backseat space of the Y more as they grow up, day to day groceries are easier with the Y, plants and similar products from the nursery fit better in the Y, suitcases fit better in the Y ; etc... We usually use the 3 for long drives, airport trips as I more commonly am the driver when we are going together.

The $1K price increase the 3 performance got also bumped it out of the MA rebate consideration so even with no options at all it is not eligible for $3500 cash to me ; which all versions of the Y still are even with some options added.

I lose out a little on handling no doubt but otherwise seems to check all of the boxes for me and glad if I can move you up the list of those waiting for the new 3P.

Don't disagree that the Model 3P really has set an amazing bar for it's price point.

My practical side is telling me I don't need or even have a use case for that level of performance as long as the MYP can give me enough performance to satisfy me than it's added utility and space will be more useful to me.

What I need is a good daily commuter. I think any of the 3 and Y models performance and non-performance meets that criteria. AWD is required with my driveway in the winter.

I don't need the extra space in the same way I don't need the performance as we do also own a ICE SUV ; I have had to use that on a handful of occasions over the past few years when something was too big to fit in the 3 but consider that my wife's car and the Tesla my car so will be nice to not have a space difference with the Y.

The convenience is more the kids will like the backseat space of the Y more as they grow up, day to day groceries are easier with the Y, plants and similar products from the nursery fit better in the Y, suitcases fit better in the Y ; etc... We usually use the 3 for long drives, airport trips as I more commonly am the driver when we are going together.

The $1K price increase the 3 performance got also bumped it out of the MA rebate consideration so even with no options at all it is not eligible for $3500 cash to me ; which all versions of the Y still are even with some options added.

I lose out a little on handling no doubt but otherwise seems to check all of the boxes for me and glad if I can move you up the list of those waiting for the new 3P.
You are going to love the MYP. I’ve had mine for two months now and couldn’t be happier. I also have an M3 (2019) that I may decide to trade in at some point for an M3P. But after driving an M3 for five years I’m really loving the extra space the MYP provides. And the acceleration, while not as fast as the M3P, is faster than 99% of the cars on the road. The MYP also comes with all season tires, which makes it much more practical for many people.

At some point Juniper will come out and likely have the refinement in ride quality we see now in Highland. If it does, you can always trade in your MYP for a new down the road.

Reactions: mreynolds767

@mreynolds767

Before I bought my 2024 MYP in the March fire sale, I extensively test drove the M3LR, MYLR, and MYP. Two things stood out to me as the key differentiators.

1. Comfort: The M3 feels like you're sitting in a go-kart. The seating position is very low and at 6' I felt long commutes might become tiresome. The MYP for me was easy to get in and out, and the seating position is very comfortable as expected since it's a CUV.

2. Driving Dynamics: Below 65 mph both the M3 & MYP feel very similar in handling and confidence, but once I began to cross 65 mph the MYP begins to have more side-to-side body roll and feels less confident especially if lane changing or lane curving. The faster I go in the MYP the less confident it feels especially over 75mph. Windy days exaggerate the issue. I'm not surprised by this feeling since its a taller vehicle. Don't get me wrong, below 75mph the MYP is comfortable, but there is a noticeable difference in the drive dynamics between and M3LR and the MYP and the new M3P will surely be more noticeable with its new dynamic suspension. I'm not comfortable/confident to push a MYP beyond 80MPH other than in a straight line on a non-windy day. One day I may get comfortable with the body rolling, but it's significantly more felt than on a M3LR reducing confidence.

It's possible you may see a $5K difference between the M3P & MYP at the end of the quarter if Elon does another fire sale. You should extensively test drive the M3P or M3LR if you can't find a M3P versus a MYP to experience the difference in driving dynamics first hand. I don't drive fast, usually under 75mph, nor street race so the dynamics was not a deal breaker for me and the more relaxed comfort of the MYP seating position sealed the decision on MYP in combination with picking up an Ultra Red for $49600 before tax credit :D
Me, too. You shouldn't drive over 80mph, anyway. Don't become a statistic. Use your head.