Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help me decide Model 3P or Model YP

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have a 2019 model 3 which I love and while I would prefer to get 1 more year of life out of it I am not sure the federal and state rebates will be around in 2025 so think I will pull the trigger either in June or Sept of this year on a new Tesla.
Torn between the Model 3 or the Model Y. Would go with the performance version either way.
Currently have the LR 3 but paid for the $2K acceleration boost.
Y performance would probably give me similar acceleration to what I already have which I enjoy on occasion. The 3 the federal rebate is a main reason why I would only consider the Performance 3 currently.

Am I only the one who does not like the new headlights / front end of the 3? I love the "Porsche" look of the old headlights, always thought the cars flaw look wise was it's bubble shape on the sides and back not the front end. The new front end headlights scream more Honda than Porsche.

Y:
The extra space for hauling stuff would be helpful at times and before my 3 was an SUV driver many cars over so quite used to a higher road position. A little more backside seat room would also be a bonus. Comes with all seasons which I prefer.
On the new 3P I don't like that the car comes with summer tires and the staggered wider back. Living in MA I have always been fine all year with all seasons but now have to swap out the summer tires. Another expense ; they all add up.

3:
Of course the new 3P should be crazy fast and would really appreciate the cooled seats, the cabin lights look cool, sound system upgrade would be awesome and the screen in the back would be great to have. Plus the improved soundproofing ; all around the improvements seem very nice and I am sure there are others much more important to some I am not listing.

Pricing is similar between the 2 right now and both qualify for state and federal rebates for me.
Assuming they start offering discounts on the Y at end of quarter in June and/or Sept (like I saw in March) I think the Y represents a great value and could be a decent amount less than the 3 - plus the tire cost in year 1 if I go with the 3.
Is buying the Y in the last year before it's refresh a bad idea for future resale value though?

I would trade in my 2019 and finance the balance (the bad thing about doing this in 2024 is the high interest rates)

Your 2019 may not have a great resale value right now, so the longer you keep it, the less that you lose.
The Model 3 can fit more of some things in the trunk than the Model Y. So it depends on what you are carrying.

Federal credits, I believe aren't limited right now, so I feel that they will be around next year as well.

If you want the Y, wait a year or more for it's refresh. If you want the new Model 3, you may want to wait a few months for sales to stabilize.

I just got a Cybertruck and I'm really hating to lose my 2018 Model 3. It's probably the first vehicle that I didn't want to get rid of.

Reactions: mreynolds767
Cybertruck would be exciting!

I guess my thought was the election end of this year could shake up the whole EV credit thing in 2025 but I state this without much research into it.
My state, MA also has a rebate now but those seem to get phased in and out yearly without advance warning so don't want to count on that sticking around.

If you are looking for speed then buy a 3. If you are looking for space buy a Y.

I found the 3 simply too small. I actually hit my head on the door frame while casually trying to get into the back seat.
Look at the cars when parked next to each other and you'll see the difference.

Reactions: jyavenard
It's amazing all the differences that people are finding between two vehicles that share probably 90% of their parts and have essentially the same specifications.
When I switch between my Model 3 and Model Y, I barely can tell the difference.

Sure, a newer model has different things on it, but the difference between today's Model Y and the original Model Y is nearly the same as the updated model 3 and my early Model 3.

Reactions: petercc9
Have a 2019 model 3 which I love and while I would prefer to get 1 more year of life out of it I am not sure the federal and state rebates will be around in 2025 so think I will pull the trigger either in June or Sept of this year on a new Tesla.
Torn between the Model 3 or the Model Y. Would go with the performance version either way.
Currently have the LR 3 but paid for the $2K acceleration boost.
Y performance would probably give me similar acceleration to what I already have which I enjoy on occasion. The 3 the federal rebate is a main reason why I would only consider the Performance 3 currently.

Am I only the one who does not like the new headlights / front end of the 3? I love the "Porsche" look of the old headlights, always thought the cars flaw look wise was it's bubble shape on the sides and back not the front end. The new front end headlights scream more Honda than Porsche.

Y:
The extra space for hauling stuff would be helpful at times and before my 3 was an SUV driver many cars over so quite used to a higher road position. A little more backside seat room would also be a bonus. Comes with all seasons which I prefer.
On the new 3P I don't like that the car comes with summer tires and the staggered wider back. Living in MA I have always been fine all year with all seasons but now have to swap out the summer tires. Another expense ; they all add up.

3:
Of course the new 3P should be crazy fast and would really appreciate the cooled seats, the cabin lights look cool, sound system upgrade would be awesome and the screen in the back would be great to have. Plus the improved soundproofing ; all around the improvements seem very nice and I am sure there are others much more important to some I am not listing.

Pricing is similar between the 2 right now and both qualify for state and federal rebates for me.
Assuming they start offering discounts on the Y at end of quarter in June and/or Sept (like I saw in March) I think the Y represents a great value and could be a decent amount less than the 3 - plus the tire cost in year 1 if I go with the 3.
Is buying the Y in the last year before it's refresh a bad idea for future resale value though?

I would trade in my 2019 and finance the balance (the bad thing about doing this in 2024 is the high interest rates)
Just wait for the new Y coming out towards the end of this year.

My state, MA also has a rebate now but those seem to get phased in and out yearly without advance warning so don't want to count on that sticking around.

Read, understand, and fill in the paperwork for that mor-ev discount carefully before buying the Tesla.
I didn't get my $3500 Massachusetts rebate because I didn't file everything within 90 days of purchase because I thought it worked the same way as the $7,500 Federal deduction at tax time. I thought it was just another thing to deduct from my Massachusetts taxes like energy efficient things. Nope! WRONG! Nothing to do with tax time whatsoever.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: DocHolliday
IMHO, if it's the performance you want, the M3P is a much better choice.
I wouldn't get a MYP, I would get the LR instead. The Y will never make for a good performance vehicle.

I see a lot of truth in this position.

If you want a great car with lots of storage space, get the Y. But the higher center of gravity means the Y is never going to be a performance car, even if you buy the really fast “performance” model.

Honestly, for the joy of driving, I’m much rather have a RWD 3 than a performance Y.
(Said as someone who came to Tesla from a bunch of light, RWD sports-cars.)

I see a lot of truth in this position.

If you want a great car with lots of storage space, get the Y. But the higher center of gravity means the Y is never going to be a performance car, even if you buy the really fast “performance” model.

Honestly, for the joy of driving, I’m much rather have a RWD 3 than a performance Y.
(Said as someone who came to Tesla from a bunch of light, RWD sports-cars.)

Performance Y drives great and nothing wrong with a fast SUV. For corners, the M3P is much better though as it actually feels pretty light on its feet (especially for an EV). I'm not that much of a fan of the RWD Model 3...i think it just doesn't have enough punch.