Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help me decide Model 3P or Model YP

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The model Y is much easier to get in and out of. It has a ton more rear seat space and extra cargo room. With a proper suspension it will match a model 3 performance on the street. Overall if you need to put people in the back or don't want to bend down to get in, the Y is a much better daily.

Reactions: petercc9
The model Y is much easier to get in and out of. It has a ton more rear seat space and extra cargo room. With a proper suspension it will match a model 3 performance on the street. Overall if you need to put people in the back or don't want to bend down to get in, the Y is a much better daily.

This pic says it all
tesla-model-y-vs-tesla-model-3.jpg

I'm not saying the Model 3 is a Mazda Miata but the Y is certainly not small. This is more than just a different rear cargo area. As i said before I whacked my head on the 3's door frame when I tried to get in the back seat. I'll take the extra room over the performance.

sideview.png

Last edited:
Reactions: mreynolds767
This pic says it all
tesla-model-y-vs-tesla-model-3.jpg

I'm not saying the Model 3 is a Mazda Miata but the Y is certainly not small. This is more than just a different rear cargo area. As i said before I whacked my head on the 3's door frame when I tried to get in the back seat. I'll take the extra room over the performance.

View attachment 1044230
The OP is considering a 2024 current Y vs a 2024 new style M3P. the photo and dimensions are flawed.

Both Y and 3 have great suspension geometry. The stock springs are way too soft and the the dampers are not tunned very good. The new new M3p should be much better. My MYp feels too fast around town (instant speed ticket) and is way better to live with as a daily. It does "need" a coilover upgrade. Makes it better in everyway with no downsides.

Trouble is the new Model 3 is a much better car than the Model Y. Quieter, better handling, better ride quality, better seats etc...

The new Model 3 Performance is a much much much better performance car than the MYP with the upgraded motors and adaptive suspension. If you don't need the space, I'd get the new M3P.

Model Y is Tesla's most popular model. Curious if it gets more goodies than Highland, when Juniper is released. ~2025 Model year maybe?
It will probably get the exact same goodies, with a few more.

The Model 3 and Model Y have pretty much been identical all of their lives, and even the update is only marginally different. Tesla is always making tweaks on the vehicles. The Model Y today is different than the Model Y that I bought 4 years ago, but yet no official refresh has occurred.

Reactions: Adam3
I think it should be an easy choice. If you really enjoy sporty cars and performance cars, the new M3P is a no brainer. After the $7500 fed tax credit, you're looking at $46,490. If you're not that driver, get the new base Model Y Long Range. It's $44,900 minus $7500 for the credit, and it comes out to $37,490. That's still $1,000 less than what a standard range Model 3 will cost. The Model Y is $9,000 cheaper than the M3P and carries larger adults in the rear seat comfortably; the Model 3 interior gets a little cramped if you try to put 4 6 footers in it, while the Y is still fine. Plus the Y has a bunch more storage space, and as a hatchback can carry much larger objects than a Model 3.

The Y is obviously the more practical and sensible choice, and saves a bunch of money compared to the M3P. The only reason to get the M3P is if for the fun of it. For me, I'd spend the extra $9k in a heartbeat for the M3P, but for most people I know the Y would be a better choice, although around here where it snows, it would have to be the AWD version for $3k more. In Florida, the RWD makes more sense, better range, cheaper, and less to go wrong or break.

Interesting thread. I have an MYP and a LR RWD M3. I prefer to drive the MYP. The acceleration is insane. I know the M3P would be even faster but I’m not driving on a race track so I don’t think the difference would be all that meaningful for me personally. But being higher up and having all the extra cargo space is really nice to have.

Now if someone insisted I drive a new M3P you wouldn’t have to twist my arm very hard. It’s an amazing car that is unfortunately hobbled by the decision to only offer 20” summer tires on it. It’s not a deal breaker but the fact that the MYP came with all seasons made my decision just a little bit easier.