Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Highland Performance/Plaid Speculation [Car announced 04.23.2024]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Gauntlet officially thrown:

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a60607212/2025-hyundai-ioniq-5-n-test/

0-60 mph: 3.0 seconds
1/4 mile: 11.1 @ 123 mph

Considering that the current Model 3 Performance already matches or beats many of the new Ioniq5N's performance bogeys it's easy to be optimistic about the refreshed version's chances against it...

(yes, I know that Hyundai markets the Ioniq5 as an SUV, but it's really just an overgrown EV hot hatch)
Those times exactly match times listed on the Dragy leaderboard for a 5N.

It is a good vehicle but I still can’t get over the fact that it weighs 4,850 lbs. it’s a portly lad.

Last edited:
I thought that too and I was really disappointed that the new car would be slower than my current one.

Yeah but it has an 8 speed virtual tranny and yours is only a 1 speed reduction gear. 😁

It will beat the current M3P in the quarter though and highway pulls will be better. I think I saw a range test on it and it got low 217 miles at 70 mph. Thats not great given our current M3P with 20s gets around 280 miles at 70 mph.

Reactions: mpgxsvcd
Yeah but it has an 8 speed virtual tranny and yours is only a 1 speed reduction gear. 😁

It will beat the current M3P in the quarter though and highway pulls will be better. I think I saw a range test on it and it got low 217 miles at 70 mph. Thats not great given our current M3P with 20s gets around 280 miles at 70 mph.
The 5N definitely pulls harder at higher speeds than the current car. I don’t believe that will be the case for the new car though.

Random thought for those of us that eventually would engage in mods for this car. I usually like to add coilovers to lower my cars slightly by no more than an inch. In fact, I would want to eventually lower this one by another half inch only since it will already by lowered from factory by 0.4 inches. But, with this new platform, it will have electronic damping. I suspect this new feature would actually limit the aftermarket offerings for suspension mods, and I imagine a lot of vendors will offer height adjustable springs (HAS) or basic lowering springs, while the big names like KW and MPP will eventually engineer coilovers compatible with the electronic damping (or would they?). But with the damping now being electric, if those go out prematurely, and your car happens to have lowering springs installed, then the warranty for the adaptive suspension would be voided by default, would it not?

I understand this would be no different than the static suspension with the previous gen, meaning if I replace the previous 3's suspension with aftermarket coilovers, and the oem shocks were to fail, then it would void the warranty on the suspension by default and thus the repairs come at my own expense. Only this time, the new adaptive suspension on this car would be significantly more expensive to replace I imagine. So this is giving me pause on whether or not to modify the suspension in any way whatsoever.
If the OE suspension turns out to be really good, I could see one solution being to design drop spindles that lower the suspension/steering mounting points with respect the the rest of the spindle to allow a lower ride height without having to change the shocks and springs. This would likely allow only fixed height increments as adjustability would likely be complicated and expensive. One possible outcome of this solution is they might be able to design the upright portion of the spindle to accommodate a wider tire (though there may be other interference issues that may not make this practical). Not sure if such a solution would impede the use of smaller wheels in the rear.

Reactions: P-Lo801
If the OE suspension turns out to be really good, I could see one solution being to design drop spindles that lower the suspension/steering mounting points with respect the the rest of the spindle to allow a lower ride height without having to change the shocks and springs. This would likely allow only fixed height increments as adjustability would likely be complicated and expensive. One possible outcome of this solution is they might be able to design the upright portion of the spindle to accommodate a wider tire (though there may be other interference issues that may not make this practical). Not sure if such a solution would impede the use of smaller wheels in the rear.
1000077863.jpg

A few hose clamps and good to go. Within spec.

Aeero 18" didn't fit previously the performance, why would it fit now if the brakes are the same size?

spacers are illegal in most countries BTW
People say “the rims fit” but then they clarify and say “the rims fit with spacers.” None of the Tesla OEM 18” or 19” rims fit the P trim without spacers (except new Warp 19” in China).

Reactions: jyavenard
Do any locations have these available for test drive yet? They don't have any locally at this time and the "demo drive" feature on the Tesla website doesn't seem like it allows you to select "performance mode" specifically...
I contacted Tesla today and they said they are not doing demo drives for M3P yet. They said they have some to look at in Walnut Creek and San Jose.