Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Highland Performance/Plaid Speculation [Car announced 04.23.2024]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Random thought for those of us that eventually would engage in mods for this car. I usually like to add coilovers to lower my cars slightly by no more than an inch. In fact, I would want to eventually lower this one by another half inch only since it will already by lowered from factory by 0.4 inches. But, with this new platform, it will have electronic damping. I suspect this new feature would actually limit the aftermarket offerings for suspension mods, and I imagine a lot of vendors will offer height adjustable springs (HAS) or basic lowering springs, while the big names like KW and MPP will eventually engineer coilovers compatible with the electronic damping (or would they?). But with the damping now being electric, if those go out prematurely, and your car happens to have lowering springs installed, then the warranty for the adaptive suspension would be voided by default, would it not?

I understand this would be no different than the static suspension with the previous gen, meaning if I replace the previous 3's suspension with aftermarket coilovers, and the oem shocks were to fail, then it would void the warranty on the suspension by default and thus the repairs come at my own expense. Only this time, the new adaptive suspension on this car would be significantly more expensive to replace I imagine. So this is giving me pause on whether or not to modify the suspension in any way whatsoever.

With the previous model, very few 18” would fit, plus the offset was different. TSportline makes really nice wheel that could fit. But there’s no information yet about the brake size on the new model.
Plenty of aftermarket 18s fit. You just need to ensure they have the bore machined to clear the lip on the P hub and the barrel clears the rear calipers.
The brakes on the new P are exactly the same as the current one. Only the pads have been upgraded to the 'track mode' type.

Have you measureed them personally? Source?
Photos, Tesla information, eye-witnesses, common sense.

I will add one possible change though. A development by Brembo called 'Sensify' which was due to be introduced this year and has been developed alongside Tesla, but that will work with the existing calipers/discs.

Last edited:

I will add one possible change though. A development by Brembo called 'Sensify' which was due to be introduced this year and has been developed alongside Tesla, but that will work with the existing calipers/discs.

Man talk about a press release with buzz words and zero substance. Not once do they actually say what this is actually supposed to *do*. Guess everybody wants to get in on the AI craze.

Man talk about a press release with buzz words and zero substance. Not once do they actually say what this is actually supposed to *do*. Guess everybody wants to get in on the AI craze.
Even Brembo doesn't know exactly what it does.

AI is digital bacon. Add it to anything to instantly make it better! A nothingburger tastes like air. A bacon nothingburger... tastes like bacony air!

Even Brembo doesn't know exactly what it does.

AI is digital bacon. Add it to anything to instantly make it better! A nothingburger tastes like air. A bacon nothingburger... tastes like bacony air!
I don't expect it it's going to be something most drivers will know about, understand or notice during driving, but it is something which could help with some shortfalls iBoosters and ABS systems currently have. We'll just have to wait and see what it is and even if it's in the new M3P. Could just be mumbo jumbo 😁

Random thought for those of us that eventually would engage in mods for this car. I usually like to add coilovers to lower my cars slightly by no more than an inch. In fact, I would want to eventually lower this one by another half inch only since it will already by lowered from factory by 0.4 inches. But, with this new platform, it will have electronic damping. I suspect this new feature would actually limit the aftermarket offerings for suspension mods, and I imagine a lot of vendors will offer height adjustable springs (HAS) or basic lowering springs, while the big names like KW and MPP will eventually engineer coilovers compatible with the electronic damping (or would they?). But with the damping now being electric, if those go out prematurely, and your car happens to have lowering springs installed, then the warranty for the adaptive suspension would be voided by default, would it not?

I understand this would be no different than the static suspension with the previous gen, meaning if I replace the previous 3's suspension with aftermarket coilovers, and the oem shocks were to fail, then it would void the warranty on the suspension by default and thus the repairs come at my own expense. Only this time, the new adaptive suspension on this car would be significantly more expensive to replace I imagine. So this is giving me pause on whether or not to modify the suspension in any way whatsoever.

I have MPP Comfort Coilovers on my current vehicle, which has lowered it by about 1.5” compared to stock.
However, I doubt I will put any type of aftermarket suspension on the refresh M3P when I receive it… mainly due to the new adaptive suspension and any unintended consequences that might arise with modifying this type of suspension. Fortunately, it appears the stock height on the refresh M3P is low enough for me (although, I too think lowering it by another 1/2” would look best).

Obviously, any modification to Tesla’s suspension will void the warranty. This should not even be a question/debate. Even as a consumer, I would agree with any manufacturer’s right to void their warranty when someone has modified the suspension in any way.

Personally, the only slight modification I might make after I take delivery is to perhaps put spacers on the rear wheels. In most of the photos/videos I’ve seen so far of the refresh M3P, the rear wheels appears to be tucked in just a little too much for my taste. So, initially, I’m thinking a 3 or 5 mm spacer on the rears would get me the flushed look/stance I desire. We shall see…

Reactions: P-Lo801
Do any locations have these available for test drive yet? They don't have any locally at this time and the "demo drive" feature on the Tesla website doesn't seem like it allows you to select "performance mode" specifically...

Last edited:
I have MPP Comfort Coilovers on my current vehicle, which has lowered it by about 1.5” compared to stock.
However, I doubt I will put any type of aftermarket suspension on the refresh M3P when I receive it… mainly due to the new adaptive suspension and any unintended consequences that might arise with modifying this type of suspension. Fortunately, it appears the stock height on the refresh M3P is low enough for me (although, I too think lowering it by another 1/2” would look best).

Obviously, any modification to Tesla’s suspension will void the warranty. This should not even be a question/debate. Even as a consumer, I would agree with any manufacturer’s right to void their warranty when someone has modified the suspension in any way.

Personally, the only slight modification I might make after I take delivery is to perhaps put spacers on the rear wheels. In most of the photos/videos I’ve seen so far of the refresh M3P, the rear wheels appears to be tucked in just a little too much for my taste. So, initially, I’m thinking a 3 or 5 mm spacer on the rears would get me the flushed look/stance I desire. We shall see…
I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on the new P3D suspension compared to your current setup with the MPPs once you have had the chance to drive both back to back. I have a similar MPP setup on my 2020 and really like the ride quality and look.

Springs and shocks will most like be identical and there will be no limits as to what you can do. The electronics will need to be fooled with a resister or maintaining the electronic part of the adjuster.

I'm 99% sure all current aftermarket suspensions will bolt right up with no modifications. On the other hand a lot of people that would have modified the suspension wouldn't need or want to. Lets hope Tesla got it right from the factory.

You and I are exactly on the same page. I was doing some calculations with the wheel specs and even posted about it here:

Reactions: GreenHokie

I mean, Tesla gave them a whole new part number, something they didn't do with the previous performance brakes.

So SOMETHING has definitely changed in a big enough way to warrant new part numbers