Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My 2023 Model 3 got totaled :(

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Damage is not bad IMO but they said its totaled.
I think we will upgrade to a Y, but personally to me the 3 drives noticeably better than the Y, so I will miss that.
My wife and kids want the 3rd row, so that will make them happy.
I am just having a hard time dealing with all the logistics with the insurance company.
I have so many questions for them and I do not hear much back from them :(
We were not at fault but I started the process using collision with Geico, so Geico will have to go after the other insurance company to get reimbursed.
I hope I get my deductible back.
I also read that in CT I might be able to get the sales tax and delivery fee back as well.
Here is an image of the car of y 2023 Model 3 bought last Feb and it has 15k miles on it now.

20240418_085106(25).jpg

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
The MY 3rd row isn't really a 3rd row. My 11 year old will sit back there, sideways for no longer than 10 min. There's no airflow or leg room.

The 2nd row does have a lot more room than a M3. My opinion from owning 2 MYs (3rd row vs no 3rd row) is don't get the 3rd row. You lose the reclining 2nd row, it cost more, and it's not really usable.

The MY 3rd row isn't really a 3rd row. My 11 year old will sit back there, sideways for no longer than 10 min. There's no airflow or leg room.

The 2nd row does have a lot more room than a M3. My opinion from owning 2 MYs (3rd row vs no 3rd row) is don't get the 3rd row. You lose the reclining 2nd row, it cost more, and it's not really usable.
The thing is my kids are really short... my wife and daughter are all 5ft tall, so they would use it... I would prefer not getting the 3rd row TBH and get the cheapest Model Y, but I need to make the decision with my wife as she likes to take her parents out with us so we would use it. Thanks for the advise.

The thing is my kids are really short... my wife and daughter are all 5ft tall, so they would use it... I would prefer not getting the 3rd row TBH and get the cheapest Model Y, but I need to make the decision with my wife as she likes to take her parents out with us so we would use it. Thanks for the advise.
My son is 5' as well. Just test it out.

• Helpful
Reactions: mpgxsvcd
I think we will upgrade to a Y, but personally to me the 3 drives noticeably better than the Y, so I will miss that.
I am just having a hard time dealing with all the logistics with the insurance company.
We were not at fault but I started the process using collision with Geico, so Geico will have to go after the other insurance company to get reimbursed.
I also read that in CT I might be able to get the sales tax and delivery fee back as well.
Here is an image of the car of y 2023 Model 3 bought last Feb and it has 15k miles on it now.

View attachment 1043478

That looks pretty similar to my car. Just a tiny bit worse. By the time all was done including repairs, rental and diminished value it came to a $20,000 claim. I think that if the insurance company of the striking driver had known that it would grow to that number they may have totaled it also.

Now I'm glad they did not. I took it to a Tesla authorized body shop. They did an outstanding repair job. possibly better than new. They even repainted the LR door as it had a scratch that I did a poor touchup job on.

BTW, you should have made a claim directly against Geico and kept your insurance out of it. That's what I did. Did not have to pay a deductible and my insurance company was never involved. American Family Connect through Costco. They take a dim view of big claims.

The whole story here;

• Informative
Reactions: Ital and KenC
That does not look like enough damage to get totaled on a 2023. I guess they are just being lazy since the other company is paying for it. It sure is better for owner considering repair time and rental car. But the insurance cost will sure go up as a result of these easy total write off.

Reactions: Gasaraki and Adam3
That does not look like enough damage to get totaled on a 2023. I guess they are just being lazy since the other company is paying for it. It sure is better for owner considering repair time and rental car. But the insurance cost will sure go up as a result of these easy total write off.
yeah, I was shocked as well, the fact it could be totaled never crossed my mind, Anyway my wife wanted to upgrade to a Y so I guess it works out. They are giving me fair money for it.

View attachment 1043478
I see some expensive damage but really surprised that’s a total. Have to assume the market for totaled Tesla’s without battery damage is high.

Assuming you qualify, any limitation on collecting another $7,500 tax credit on the next EV purchase?

How fair? Would you care to share?
Because Sharing is Caring.

IMG_2910.gif

How fair? Would you care to share?

I’m curious as well. My 2023 RWD purchased in December 2022 was $43.2k base + $6k EAP + $4.5k taxes / fees + $2k upgrade to FSD = $55.7k all in, and I still owe $36.8k. After 17 months of use, I would be pretty disappointed if it got totaled and I got less than $40k. I do have GAP coverage, so could at least get $37k I guess, but without that I wouldn’t be surprised if an insurance company only offered me around $30k to total.

yeah, I was shocked as well, the fact it could be totaled never crossed my mind, Anyway my wife wanted to upgrade to a Y so I guess it works out. They are giving me fair money for it.

Random spit balling. If you need 3rd row. Ever considered other proper 3 Row SUV? Like Kia EV9. I saw someone got it for as big as $15k off MSRP. Not sure if that is your thing, that is one big and heavy car. Some people prefer those titanic cars though.

Reactions: rpiotro
I’m curious as well. My 2023 RWD purchased in December 2022 was $43.2k base + $6k EAP + $4.5k taxes / fees + $2k upgrade to FSD = $55.7k all in, and I still owe $36.8k. After 17 months of use, I would be pretty disappointed if it got totaled and I got less than $40k. I do have GAP coverage, so could at least get $37k I guess, but without that I wouldn’t be surprised if an insurance company only offered me around $30k to total.
Insurance pay out is based on average market price with similar condition. A 23 M3 rwd is around $27K now. Software cost is nearly negligible in used car. You will probably get around $28-30K+Tax and fee.

In my state end of 2023. A brand new M3 base is around $27K out the door. $7500 federal, $4K state, tax free, inventory discount. I thought to myself, damn, that is the price of a Honda civic.

Reactions: Adam3
Insurance pay out is based on average market price with similar condition. A 23 M3 rwd is around $27K now. Software cost is nearly negligible in used car. You will probably get around $28-30K+Tax and fee.

In my state end of 2023. A brand new M3 base is around $27K out the door. $7500 federal, $4K state, tax free, inventory discount. I thought to myself, damn, that is the price of a Honda civic.
Traded in my SI for the RWD last yr. It was cheaper until you factor in the insurance…

You still get a reclining second row (and 1" more of leg room) with 3rd row. You do lose a little bit storage area.