Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You think the board did their due diligence on the move of incorporation to Texas? No, they blindly follow Elons wishes just as was proven in the compensation lawsuit

Someone didn't read their definitive proxy statement for the Annual meeting. There's literally 43 pages of due diligence and justification. Here's some of it for you:

The final stage of the Special Committee’s redomestication decision was an in-depth comparison of remaining incorporated in Delaware or reincorporating in Texas. As explained further below, the Special Committee concluded that Delaware and Texas provide substantially equivalent bundles of economic, governance, and litigation rights for stockholders, at least on net (i.e., balancing relevant
considerations against one another) and as relevant to Tesla. This left three differentiating factors in the Special Committee’s view: Texas is Tesla’s home state; Texas statutory law on corporate constituencies would better align with Tesla’s mission-driven culture; and Delaware has an established and respected business court and the largest body of corporate case law in the country, whereas Texas just created a business court. The Special Committee balanced these considerations and concluded that, in its business judgment, it is in the best interests of Tesla and all of its stockholders for the Company to reincorporate in Texas. The Special Committee, in this evaluation, included an examination of the effect of the reincorporation on the economic, governance, and litigation rights of stockholders:
Economic Rights. The Special Committee considered whether there was any reason to
believe that Tesla shares would be economically less valuable under Texas law than under
Delaware law. The Special Committee concluded, based on the advice of its financial and
academic advisors, that there was no convincing evidence that reincorporating in Texas would
affect Tesla’s market value. In reaching this conclusion, the Special Committee and its advisors considered, among other things, related to market practices, that a company’s U.S. state of incorporation is not a factor commonly used in valuation methodologies. The Special
Committee’s financial advisor also considered whether there was evidence of a “Delaware
premium” through three quantitative analyses. First, they evaluated four market-implied valuation multiples from 2019 through 2023 for Fortune 500 companies: enterprise value/revenue; enterprise value/EBITDA; market capitalization/earnings; and market capitalization/book value. They did not find any observable valuation premium attributable to Delaware incorporation. Second, the Special Committee’s financial advisor also analyzed market return metrics for Fortune 500 companies from 2014 through 2023, and similarly found no observable premium attributable to Delaware incorporation. Finally, the Special Committee’s financial advisor reviewed four case studies of redomestications from Delaware to Texas over the last decade. They reported no observable pattern between redomestication and total stockholder return over the periods studied. In addition, the Special Committee considered conclusions from its academic advisor that existing academic literature strongly suggests that a “Delaware premium” is non-
existent or unknowable. The Special Committee concluded, based on the advice of its financial and academic advisors, that there is no reason to believe that being incorporated in Delaware increases Tesla’s market value. Of the S&P 500, approximately 35% are domiciled outside of Delaware. Seven of the top 20 by market capitalization are incorporated in their home state: Apple, Costco, Eli Lilly, Johnson
& Johnson, Merck, Microsoft, and Proctor & Gamble. Tesla would make eight. Notably, the Special Committee saw no indication that Microsoft’s earlier reincorporation from Delaware to its home state of Washington had a negative effect on Microsoft. In addition, the Special Committee evaluated whether and confirmed that the Texas Redomestication would not materially alter any other economic rights of Tesla stockholders. For example, Texas law would not alter the Company’s ability to pay dividends or buyback stock. As discussed below, at the Special Committee’s request, the Company confirmed that the Texas Redomestication will not have any materially adverse accounting, tax, or other financial implications, and will not affect the public trading of the Company’s shares. Further, the Texas Redomestication will result in the Company saving $250,000 per year in franchise tax payments to Delaware.
Governance Rights. The Special Committee concluded that governance rights are effectively
the same in both states. For example, both Delaware and Texas have similar rules on classified boards, the removal of directors, charter and bylaw amendments, blank check preferred stock, stock buybacks, dividends, and appraisal. Where there may appear to be distinctions, the Special Committee concluded that: most were differences in default rules that could be resolved in a Texas charter and bylaws (see the section “Certain Differences Between Delaware Charter and Bylaws and Texas Charter and Bylaws” below for the Company’s summary of certain differences between the Delaware Charter (as defined below) and Delaware Bylaws (as defined below) and the proposed Texas Charter and Texas Bylaws); some made no difference at least to Tesla (see the section “Comparison of Stockholder Rights under Delaware and Texas Law” below for the Company’s summary of certain differences between Delaware and Texas law); and one— Texas’s constituency statute— did not substantially alter stockholders’ rights but
does matter to Tesla (see the section “Certain Differences Between Delaware and Texas Law”
below for the Company’s summary of certain differences between Delaware and Texas law).
Litigation Rights. The Special Committee and its advisors engaged deeply with a wide range
of litigation topics and identified no areas in which Texas and Delaware law meaningfully diverged on matters of substance. In most areas the Special Committee examined, Texas and Delaware law apply essentially the same substantive rule, though Texas sometimes articulates it a bit differently. These include fiduciary duties owed to the corporation and the stockholders collectively, the corporate opportunities doctrine, director exculpation, indemnification, advancement, the business judgment rule, and the entire fairness standard of judicial review. In addition, the Special Committee considered that Delaware law has addressed a number of issues impacting public companies that Texas law has not (yet), including Caremark oversight claims, public company conflicted controller transactions, and intermediate scrutiny of defensive tactics. However, Texas’s silence in these areas does not mean that Texas law is or will be meaningfully different from Delaware law. Texas courts often look to Delaware law to fill gaps in Texas law, and the Special Committee and its advisors concluded that there was no reason to believe that Texas law would provide substantially lesser litigation rights than Delaware in areas where it is currently silent. The Special Committee and its advisors identified two important areas with differences between Texas and Delaware stockholder litigation: procedural
approaches to stockholder derivative claims and the fact that Texas recently created a specialized business court system, which is set to open on September 1, 2024. The Special Committee and its Delaware, Texas, and academic advisors concluded that these differences were procedural. In addition to its own analysis with its advisors, the Special Committee took note of commentary comparing Delaware and Texas law, including of ISS’s prior statement that “reincorporation from Delaware to Texas would appear to have a neutral impact on shareholders’ rights,” and Glass Lewis’ prior statement that “in most respects, the corporate statutes in Delaware and Texas are comparable.” Both have previously recommended voting in favor of multiple Delaware-to-Texas reincorporations.

Yes, and this changes the fact that Texas leads the nation in renewable energy production in what way?
The Legislature only meets once every two years, so much of the buildup happened before the Legislature passed anti-solar laws. They can't stop solar altogether, but they can make it difficult to deploy new ones. On another note Texas could have had battery storage years ago but the Legislature determined that batteries were an energy source rather than energy storage so only the producing tier could use them, not the distribution tier. Basically, market forces build up renewables and then the Legislature attempts to slam the door. I'm not disagreeing with you, I'm just saying that the build up happened in spite of the fossil fuel and dealership owned Legislature.

Agree. But lately it seems that a significant percentage of the posts I see are constant replies to the new posters and trolls (who I already have on ignore once it becomes apparent that their primary agenda is to sow discontent and they are clearly not willing to learn or listen to reason/logic).

I understand the need to educate new posters and the urge to fight the FUD, but all too often this results in pages of replies that de-rail the thread. I don't know the answer, but I implore people to please try to avoid feeding the obvious trolls that add no value and who are not actually investors!
I follow the Stoic Emperor on X, this is his quote for today:-

Complaints come easy to those who mine for them.
If you fall in love with misery, it will fall in love with you.

Some posters here seem very highly motivated to mine for every piece of negative information, including negative media speculation, and post it here.

Some of the media speculation is stupid to the point of being comical - e.g. Reuters single piece casting.

If they are invested in Tesla they must be very unhappy investors, who are doing a good job of making themselves less happy.

If they have a substantial short position, then perhaps we are catching a whiff of desperation,

All we really know is lots of noise, and not much signal in here these days,

They can repurchase their debt back instead of buying their shares.
At 6% their debt has a 15 p/e vs their stock a 30 p/ e.

Apple took on debt primarily because a large amount of its cash on hand sits offshore and would have been liable for a huge repatriation tax if used for capital return purposes.

The changes in the Tax Cut and Jobs Act significantly lessened the tax burden of repatriating cash, but not entirely.

Hence why Apple has both huge amount of cash on hand, and also a large amount of outstanding US debt.

Sometime next year, Apple will pass the $1 Trillion mark in cash returned to shareholders since it started its capital return program back in 2012.

Apple took on debt primarily because a large amount of its cash on hand sits offshore and would have been liable for a huge repatriation tax if used for capital return purposes.

The changes in the Tax Cut and Jobs Act significantly lessened the tax burden of repatriating cash, but not entirely.

Hence why Apple has both huge amount of cash on hand, and also a large amount of outstanding US debt.

Sometime next year, Apple will pass the $1 Trillion mark in cash returned to shareholders since it started its capital return program back in 2012.
I was trying to remember the different reasons for taking on debt to pay a dividend and forgot about this thanks

Reactions: Thekiwi
Several decades ago Texas determined that it costs less to pave a gravel road than to maintain them. Gravel roads have become an endangered species across the state since then.

The previous post above clears up the facts about where Texas stands on supporting the grid with renewables. They are leading the nation. But, you claim Texas is a state run by climate deniers? This is blatantly contradictory to the facts.

Finding a politician who isn't a crook is a difficult task, anywhere. They can always be replaced when they get caught.

Clearly, in Texas they do get caught. This is a bad thing how?
Texas leads on total solar and wind energy production mainly because of its size, geography, population, and climate. These are the same reasons why, for example, Massachusetts is near the bottom of solar power rankings.

I think politics and business environment make much less difference than the physical environment and sheer scale.

Texas leads on total solar and wind energy production mainly because of its size, geography, population, and climate. These are the same reasons why, for example, Massachusetts is near the bottom of solar power rankings.

I think politics and business environment make much less difference than the physical environment and sheer scale.

I don't think they grew those wind generators and solar panels. Somebody put them there.

My guess is it was someone making a business out of leasing land and selling energy.

It's just a guess. Maybe I'm wrong.

Last edited:
I don't think they grew those wind generators. Somebody put them there.

My guess is it was someone making a business out of leasing land and selling energy.

It's just a guess. Maybe I'm wrong.
I think you might be right, but the economics of those business projects are a function of the amount of solar flux and wind, cost of land, cost of labor, amount of land and amount of local demand for electricity. All of these factors work heavily in Texas’ favor.

We also could flip the analysis and see that the same applies to fossil energy. Texas leads on oil and gas primarily because of geological endowment. Texas is far ahead of other states that are even more politically conservative. But they mine relatively little coal, because there isn’t much available.

Also, Texas is at or near the top of state rankings for almost any statistic you want to measure, merely due to it being the 2nd largest US state by both land area and population. I doubt Texas is the leading wind & solar producer if you normalize the numbers on a per capita or per hectare basis.

PSA: Those that manually verified our shareholder status will NEED to re-submit latest (April 2024) statement again in our Tesla account (Profile Settings > Shareholder Preferences Preference). In order to be eligible for future shareholder perks, including invitation to upcoming annual sharefholder meeting.

Those people their broker does have latest April statement, me included, just uploaded what you have (end of March) and hope for the best.
1714788773515.png

I think you might be right, but the economics of those business projects are a function of the amount of solar flux and wind, cost of land, cost of labor, amount of land and amount of local demand for electricity. All of these factors work heavily in Texas’ favor.

We also could flip the analysis and see that the same applies to fossil energy. Texas leads on oil and gas primarily because of geological endowment. Texas is far ahead of other states that are even more politically conservative. But they mine relatively little coal, because there isn’t much available.

Also, Texas is at or near the top of state rankings for almost any statistic you want to measure, merely due to it being the 2nd largest US state by both land area and population. I doubt Texas is the leading wind & solar producer if you normalize the numbers on a per capita or per hectare basis.

Location, location, location.

I understand that and agree completely for both oil in the past and renewables in the future. Few places have the ingredients to make this recipe work at scale like Texas does. There are others though. Australia, for instance.

Because of the size of the state, its climate, and population, as well as a strong technical workforce, among other things, this has added up to what made it an appropriate place for Tesla to move HQ to. (and TBC, and Neuralink, plus the SpaceX presence)

Still, somebody had to see the business potential and act upon it. Those are the heroes, regardless of where they choose to do their entrepreneurial magic.

These are the ones to study, to model, to duplicate.

Yet, people on this forum try to marginalize those efforts by mud-raking and casting aspersions with all the negativity about mostly unrelated stuff in some grasping at straws attempt to tarnish those good works by those pioneers building the future, now.

We, as investors (not you @sunworrier) should keep a close watch for success stories that are related to our investment, and share them often. More often than we share FUD. We should be championing those who have made a difference in contributing to the mission.

Times are changing and the power base is shifting, and that will bring turmoil enough on its own. We should be taking the wins as we find them, not coming up with reasons they don't matter. They do matter.

If we aren't talking about how it WILL work, what will we talk about instead? This is a rhetorical question, just scroll back to find the answer.

Normalize the numbers to your heart's content. It doesn't change the fact that Texas is where those numbers originate. Hopefully it will be an inspiration to other states to apply what has been learned about renewables in any of the successful locations and bring that home on whatever scale is right for their projects.

Oh,... and HODL

Last edited: