Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Time to replace upper-control arm ball joints

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have an August 2018 build. Passenger side front developed the creak; it only creaked when going over bumps while the wheel was turned right or if it's straight after having turned right. Turning left, it was silent, and after turning left, it would remain silent until another right turn was made.

It was at about 20k miles and I'd never done a tire rotation, so I asked for a rotation and diagnosis/repair of the creak.

Appointment was made to check it and do a rotation, shop ordered control arms for both sides ahead of time. The estimate:

upload_2020-8-15_15-9-48.png

Work was done last week; I dropped off the car Sunday night for a 10am Monday appointment; was told the car work was complete at about 2:45 pm on Monday, but that it was charging and to come for it any time.

It was not noted as a recall item, but they replaced both sides and I was only charged for the tire rotation. Invoice:

upload_2020-8-15_15-6-20.png

I don't know what part number / revision was in the car before the work, but you can see what part numbers were ordered at the end of July 2020 and installed Aug 2020.

Also... another flawless service experience, unless someone want to bitch about the time I waited for an appointment (booked next avail on July 20, service date August 10.) I had no problem with it, since it was not a serious problem.

Attachments

• upload_2020-8-15_14-57-28.png
    upload_2020-8-15_14-57-28.png
    136 KB · Views: 5,402
  • upload_2020-8-15_15-7-3.png
    upload_2020-8-15_15-7-3.png
    378 KB · Views: 367
Last edited:
Was asked in PM - the noise I had was similar to what you see/hear near the beginning of this video:

In my case, it was the right wheel, not the left, and you wouldn't hear the creak while turning the wheel or driving in a turn on level ground - but you'd hear the same creak clearly on every little bump and hill, even if going straight, as long as the wheel had previously been turned right. (If it had previously been turned left, you'd hear no creaking, even while going straight, until the wheel is turned right again.)

In fact, after turning right, you'd even hear a little creak every time you accelerated from or came to a stop - that little bit of dip or rise could cause the creak.

Paid $478 for one side (Tesla covered the other side out of embarrassment)
Good to know thank you. I am headed in tomorrow. March 2018 build. No issues for 55k miles. In the past week they went from no issue to waking the dead anytime the vehicle moves at all (both sides). I am exceptionally disappointed that Tesla will not honor what's clearly a fleetwide part failure issue for the early-adopter Model 3s. Should make for an interesting conversation at the service center tomorrow.

I have an August 2018 build. Passenger side front developed the creak; it only creaked when going over bumps while the wheel was turned right or if it's straight after having turned right. Turning left, it was silent, and after turning left, it would remain silent until another right turn was made.

It was at about 20k miles and I'd never done a tire rotation, so I asked for a rotation and diagnosis/repair of the creak.

Appointment was made to check it and do a rotation, shop ordered control arms for both sides ahead of time. The estimate:

View attachment 576683

Work was done last week; I dropped off the car Sunday night for a 10am Monday appointment; was told the car work was complete at about 2:45 pm on Monday, but that it was charging and to come for it any time.

It was not noted as a recall item, but they replaced both sides and I was only charged for the tire rotation. Invoice:

View attachment 576680

I don't know what part number / revision was in the car before the work, but you can see what part numbers were ordered at the end of July 2020 and installed Aug 2020.

Also... another flawless service experience, unless someone want to bitch about the time I waited for an appointment (booked next avail on July 20, service date August 10.) I had no problem with it, since it was not a serious problem.
I don’t understand why they charged you any fees for this? Shouldn’t this fall under warranty? I have 14k miles on the car and it appears to come from front suspension going slow on a straight line or bumpers, not so much from turning the wheel..

I had the upper control arm before but they oiled it up so it’s fine now..

Got my two upper control arms replaced this morning. May 2018 LR RWD. Received the rework/remanufactured control arms.

here’s my driver side view from the top, after removing the frunk tub and rubber covering. Can clearly scene the part sticker is over a old one.

Also no alignment provided, looks like they marked the ring of the original bolts with a sharpie and then realigned the bolt afterwards when they installed the new.

Attachments

• 34394A2F-BA41-4E71-AB24-BED2F8CBCF1B.jpeg
    34394A2F-BA41-4E71-AB24-BED2F8CBCF1B.jpeg
    45.4 KB · Views: 407
  • 8BEAE5D1-23BD-43F3-84AC-ADEE5FC3E06C.jpeg
    8BEAE5D1-23BD-43F3-84AC-ADEE5FC3E06C.jpeg
    321.9 KB · Views: 367
  • DD9825EE-48E9-412F-92F5-AB02D5FE5771.jpeg
    DD9825EE-48E9-412F-92F5-AB02D5FE5771.jpeg
    453.7 KB · Views: 356
  • 4608B389-9775-4295-BAC6-F7EA6E8CA288.jpeg
    4608B389-9775-4295-BAC6-F7EA6E8CA288.jpeg
    403.7 KB · Views: 349
  • Informative
Reactions: Phlier
Got my two upper control arms replaced this morning. May 2018 LR RWD. Received the rework/remanufactured control arms.

here’s my driver side view from the top, after removing the frunk tub and rubber covering. Can clearly scene the part sticker is over a old one.

Also no alignment provided, looks like they marked the ring of the original bolts with a sharpie and then realigned the bolt afterwards when they installed the new.
No expense spared

• Funny
Reactions: Phlier and Skione65
I don’t understand why they charged you any fees for this? Shouldn’t this fall under warranty? I have 14k miles on the car and it appears to come from front suspension going slow on a straight line or bumpers, not so much from turning the wheel..

I had the upper control arm before but they oiled it up so it’s fine now..
They only charged him $39 for the tire rotation and everything else was covered. The 1st document is the estimate if it were not covered by warranty, and could include a "diagnostic fee". The 2nd document is what it turned out to be, and everything covered by warranty was free and any "diagnostic fee" was waived.

Reactions: MentalNomad