Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki UK and Ireland Supercharger Site News

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have nothing against Tesla or EVs, test drove an S back in 2014 and got my first EV in 2015. But times changes, we learn from life, am going back to combustion cars (likely an plugin hybrid). Musks latest move has helped me to consolidated my decision.
I thought you loved your X and were going to keep it till the wheels metaphorically fell off 😅

Theres' heaps of other decent EVs about these days. More by the day its seems.

That doesn't make a lot of sense - he's just said something on Twitter. Nothing has materially changed here in the UK in terms of charging, and new charging sites are continuing to be opened - Tesla and other companies.
I hope the UK is safe from this, but I am worried that behind the scenes there is a short-term cost-cutting push that will have knock on effects for Tesla worldwide - especially if it turns out to be not-so-short-term. Hence also the push for more subscribers with the reduced cost and opening up of more sites to non-Teslas - they seem to be after some quick cash (parallels with the 𝕏 subscription strategy too).

When was the last new UK site to open? Larkhall on 29th March? Lots are still waiting on DNOs, which is outside Tesla's control, but the pace may be slowing in general?

When was the last new UK site to open? Larkhall on 29th March? Lots are still waiting on DNOs, which is outside Tesla's control, but the pace may be slowing in general?
The last brand new site was indeed Larkhall. There’s around 6 sites I think with V4s awaiting energisation…

Incidentally Thetford/Elveden has now completely disappeared from the app. So that could be taken a positive sign it’s about to reopen in its newborn v4 form 😂

Reactions: zexpe
The last brand new site was indeed Larkhall. There’s around 6 sites I think with V4s awaiting energisation…

Incidentally Thetford/Elveden has now completely disappeared from the app. So that could be taken a positive sign it’s about to reopen in its newborn v4 form 😂
At the very least I would expect a lot more v4 “rebirths” this year with all the old sites open to non-Teslas that need contactless payment to be implemented by November this year…

I am going to guess that it was only a US thing where employment is “at will”, or more “at whim”. In the UK and EU the employment law issues will usually run against this type of mass dismissal without cause, so I would not be surprised to find that there are still some folks resolving issues with SC’s in the UK

Just trying to compile a list about the current status of SC builds in the UK - does this look right?

In the bag (just needs switch-on?):
  • Elveden / Thetford [Expansion]
  • Gretna Services [Expansion]
  • Exeter SC
  • Fraddon (Retail Park)
  • Sheffield Meadowhall (Retail Park)
  • Birch Services East/West
  • Preston South (Holiday Inn)
  • Manchester Old Trafford (Retail Park)
Construction close to finished (all equipment in place):
  • Gloucester Services North/South
  • London Gateway Services
Construction well underway (some equipment in place):
  • South Mimms Services [Expansion]
  • Woodall Services [Expansion]
  • Rugby (Retail Park)
  • Stevenage (Gridserve)
Early stages construction (awaiting equipment delivery):
  • Abington Services [Expansion]
  • Warrington Services [Expansion]
  • Milton Keynes SC
  • Glasgow SC
  • Manchester Central SC
  • Bar Hill SC
Unconfirmed as SuC site?:
  • Truro - Treliske (Retail Park)

Last edited:
I am going to guess that it was only a US thing where employment is “at will”, or more “at whim”. In the UK and EU the employment law issues will usually run against this type of mass dismissal without cause, so I would not be surprised to find that there are still some folks resolving issues with SC’s in the UK

If you’ve been employed less than 2 years, you can be let go without cause or recourse in the U.K.

You can be made redundant but they’d need to pay you.

Reactions: adsheff
Just trying to compile a list about the current status of SC builds in the UK - does this look right?

• Exeter SC
  • Fraddon (Retail Park)
  • Rugby (Retail Park)
  • Stevenage (Gridserve)
  • Milton Keynes SC
  • Glasgow SC
  • Manchester Central SC
  • Bar Hill SC
Tamworth SC (at Services on M42).
Ground works started about a year ago... part of car park fenced (used to be grass to walk the dogs...), tarmac removed... aaaand that's it. weeds growing already :D

You can even see it on Google maps

Reactions: adsheff

• Manchester Central Service Centre
I’d probably classify this one as “In the bag (just needs switch-on?)” A month or two ago it just needed power and some white lines. I was there yesterday and the lines are now painted and looks pretty complete.

I hope the folk setting up the nearby Co-op Arena aren’t involved with plugging it in.

Reactions: Burley and zexpe
I’d probably classify this one as “In the bag (just needs switch-on?)” A month or two ago it just needed power and some white lines. I was there yesterday and the lines are now painted and looks pretty complete.

I hope the folk setting up the nearby Co-op Arena aren’t involved with plugging it in.
Thanks for the update - that was the one I had least information on. So many sites in the North-West seem to have such long delays to get powered up.

• Exeter SC
  • Fraddon (Retail Park)
  • Rugby (Retail Park)
  • Stevenage (Gridserve)
  • Milton Keynes SC
  • Glasgow SC
  • Manchester Central SC
  • Bar Hill SC
I'm pretty certain Treliske was confused with Fraddon when construction started at the latter, I haven't come across any firm evidence of planning or a viable site at Treliske.

Is Warrington referring to Welcome Break Burtonwood?

⚡⚡️ 12 superchargers going in near the Range at Treliske industrial estate, Truro, Cornwall.

I'm pretty certain Treliske was confused with Fraddon when construction started at the latter, I haven't come across any firm evidence of planning or a viable site at Treliske.

Is Warrington referring to Welcome Break Burtonwood?

The pictures of the build at Treliske (quoted above) were definitely Treliske as it has the Fiat dealership in the background, which doesn't exist at Fraddon. However, it was never confirmed whether the build was a Tesla build - certainly it looked like rapid chargers, but nothing has appeared on charge maps since, so unless somebody has stopped by there recently to confirm it's something else, there's still a chance it's a Tesla build (hence unconfirmed).

And yes, I should have been more specific about Warrington - it's the Welcome Break Services at Burtonwood having an expansion like Woodall, Abington & Gretna.

Last edited:
Reactions: cezdoc
The pictures of the build at Treliske (quoted above) were definitely Treliske as it has the Fiat dealership in the background, which doesn't exist at Fraddon. However, it was never confirmed whether the build was a Tesla build - certainly it looked like rapid chargers, but nothing has appeared on charge maps since, so unless somebody has stopped by there recently to confirm it's something else, there's still a chance it's a Tesla build (hence unconfirmed).

And yes, I should have been more specific about Warrington - it's the Welcome Break Services at Burtonwood having an expansion like Woodall, Abington & Gretna.
Ah - I remember now about Treliske: there's also a Fiat dealership opposite the new Exeter SC and I reckon the photos in @CMc1 's post from August last year were actually of the Exeter SC supercharger stall foundations which would have been under construction at that time.

Exeter SC Streetview 2024-05-07.png

Ah - I remember now about Treliske: there's also a Fiat dealership opposite the new Exeter SC and I reckon the photos in @CMc1 's post from August last year were actually of the Exeter SC supercharger stall foundations which would have been under construction at that time.

View attachment 1045007
You are right - those photos are Exeter SC - how odd!

So what was this all about then?
Anybody near Truro, Cornwall that can verify if Tesla equipment on site please?

Near ‘The Range’ opposite Fiat

Treliske industrial estate, Tresawls Rd, Treliske, Truro TR1 3LN

12 bases spotted - not typical tombstones, but same duct and mounting positions as Tesla Superchargers. And a known civil contractor working there
There is a Fiat dealership at The Range, Treliske Industrial Estate.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-05-07 at 11.40.08.png
    Screenshot 2024-05-07 at 11.40.08.png
    3.3 MB · Views: 3