Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki UK and Ireland Supercharger Site News

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don’t really see that being a key driver given that Tesla is still accepted as having the most reasonable pricing structure of any of the rapid charging providers. They could easily increase income by simply raising prices.
I do.

They dropped the sub price by £2 a month. Its now £8.99

The dropped unit prices recently in many sites recently. Some are now 20p per unit less than they were a few months ago.

They've overnight opened up 22 24 of v2/V3 sites which they otherwise didn't really need to do...

Last edited:
I would imagine this sudden action is a direct Musk decree.
Well as far as I can tell they have a year from today to upgrade all of the ones they just opened to support contactless or they are in breech of the new regulations. So lets hope they kept a few people on to do all those upgrades. Does not bode well for expansion though is they are spending all their time doing upgrades.

Reactions: Dat37863 and zexpe
Well as far as I can tell they have a year from today to upgrade all of the ones they just opened to support contactless or they are in breech of the new regulations. So lets hope they kept a few people on to do all those upgrades. Does not bode well for expansion though is they are spending all their time doing upgrades.
Musk has stated expansion will be slowed, sadly. Though some existing sites will be expanded.

Musk has stated expansion will be slowed, sadly. Though some existing sites will be expanded.
Makes perfect sense now everyone that wants an EV has one and there will be limited new EV’s on the road… oh wait, no that’s not right.

There’s still parts of the country that could do with better coverage and other sites that need to grow hugely. They should be doubling down on this but obviously not.

The network can soon go from loved to hated if it ends up too busy all the time.

Reactions: MD70
The network can soon go from loved to hated if it ends up too busy all the time.
You are right that no one complains about a particular network for the locations they don't have but they do complain if the ones they do have have issues
but he said focus was on expansion of existing locations so presumably that is exactly the right thing to do if you want to maintain your reputation.

Having just persuaded everyone else to adopt NACS in the US and opened up the network it means that there is now a much larger potential demand at existing sites than there used to be so in the US expanding your popular sites is probably a quicker way to increase revenue and avoid annoying people than new sites.
Same also may be true in the UK that expanding popular sites and opening them to the public is probably better business than new sites in many cases. Problem in the UK though is often going to be space and power at the existing locations.

Problem in the UK though is often going to be space and power at the existing locations.
Well, precisely. As much as he may wish to expand existing sites, I worry he doesn’t fully appreciate the difficulties and these kind of glib statements are just platitudes to reassure people without any basis - a bit like his “such and such will be delivered in two weeks” statements.

Well, precisely. As much as he may wish to expand existing sites, I worry he doesn’t fully appreciate the difficulties and these kind of glib statements are just platitudes to reassure people without any basis - a bit like his “such and such will be delivered in two weeks” statements.
I doubt he was thinking about the UK at all when he said it whether he personally knows our market or not.
Who knows if his statement was even supposed to relate to all markets

I doubt he was thinking about the UK at all when he said it whether he personally knows our market or not.
Who knows if his statement was even supposed to relate to all markets
He obviously was only thinking of the US. I mean I guess for the most part, the country isn't too badly covered already or well at least England is. Wales, Scotland and both parts of Ireland could obviously do with a lot more coverage. Even so though they were maybe at about 80% of the sites and locations they probably should have had at my rough guess, just be a shame if they never do the final 20%.

I also am not convinced they will really expand the sites they already have a lot. I hope they do but their rate of expansion hasn't been keeping up with the rate they sell cars, let alone now they are opening the network up.

Frankly he's making it easy for the Sun and pretty much writing their anti-EV headlines for them. The stuff they spout might even start to be more common and real than some random one off event they've had to twist in to their narrative.

Reactions: MD70
You just need to read the comments here to see that it’s a field day for those that are against EVs in general and Tesla in particular. Musk is now little more than a liability.

I have nothing against Tesla or EVs, test drove an S back in 2014 and got my first EV in 2015. But times changes, we learn from life, am going back to combustion cars (likely an plugin hybrid). Musks latest move has helped me to consolidated my decision.

But times changes, we learn from life, am going back to combustion cars (likely an plugin hybrid). Musks latest move has helped me to consolidated my decision.
I did this myself back in 2022. Ended up back in an EV this Feb. It was the convenience of having a full 'tank' all the time that was the draw for me (running errands without thinking 'do i need fuel on the way') paired with the fact that I rarely do long trips (>200 mile round trip) - maybe 4-5 times a year and so a large proportion of charging for me is 7.5p and I swallow the inconvenience/cost of public charging as it is such a rare occurrence.

I wouldn't say I regretted going back to combustion was a mistake, but when I got this EV I noticed there was more I had missed than I realised.

That's just me though, and everyone's needs are different.

I have nothing against Tesla or EVs, test drove an S back in 2014 and got my first EV in 2015. But times changes, we learn from life, am going back to combustion cars (likely an plugin hybrid). Musks latest move has helped me to consolidated my decision.
That doesn't make a lot of sense - he's just said something on Twitter. Nothing has materially changed here in the UK in terms of charging, and new charging sites are continuing to be opened - Tesla and other companies.