Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] Spring Software Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got the update to 2024.14.6 this morning. Most of the changes seem to require premium connectivity, and as an Intel CPU user, I don't even get the the UI update.
Welcome to obsolescence! The legacy S/X guys are the party hosts.

(I have heard, not tested myself, that the visualisations are more comprehensive even on Atom cars now. Just don't get full screen like the AMD cars do, which is annoying)

Reactions: Dilly
This scroll-wheel update to the wiper functionality is very welcome, until the auto works properly at least. Having the slow speed next to auto is better too, as before, in light mist, you had to go through speeds 4, 3 and 2 to get to 1

1715775753451.png

This scroll-wheel update to the wiper functionality is very welcome, until the auto works properly at least. Having the slow speed next to auto is better too, as before, in light mist, you had to go through speeds 4, 3 and 2 to get to 1

View attachment 1047350
Good point, the order was wrong before. Hadn’t notice they’ve fixed this.

Reactions: Dilly and browellm
Welcome to obsolescence! The legacy S/X guys are the party hosts.

(I have heard, not tested myself, that the visualisations are more comprehensive even on Atom cars now. Just don't get full screen like the AMD cars do, which is annoying)
I don't want to start yet another argument, but same with any other car, you normally don't get new features / UI via OTA upgrades.

Welcome to car ownership, where someone who once bought a 2019 model can't be really mad if the 2024 newer model has better features...

Don't cry because it's over, but smile, because it happened (for a while)...

I don't want to start yet another argument, but same with any other car, you normally don't get new features / UI via OTA upgrades.

Welcome to car ownership, where someone who once bought a 2019 model can't be really mad if the 2024 newer model has better features...

Don't cry because it's over, but smile, because it happened (for a while)...
I've kinda gone over this elsewhere, but I agree with you - to a point. Tesla trades heavily off of the "your car will get better over time with software" thing, whilst other manufacturers don't. In the latter case anything you get from them is usually a bonus to what you expected, with the former I'd argue it's a part of the value proposition.

The last time I was in a service centre, recently for a test drive, I saw no less than 4 large scale advertising hoardings talking about how software updates make the car better. It is clearly positioned as a USP for the brand.

Now, I have had updates so I can't argue against this in the strictest sense. They would arguably be compliant if they released anything that made the car better, even just once. I think most people would accept that this isn't a credible reading of the intent, though.

That all being said I do agree that it is unrealistic to expect cars - or indeed anything - not to leverage improvements in technology that as a consequence leaves owners on older, slower kit behind. As it is my car is over 4 years old at this point, it predated Ryzen by almost 2 years, so my grumbling is only really because it feels like this is a demarcation point from when basically any non "minor fixes" updates will target Ryzen and skip Atom entirely. Can't help but feel a bit bummed by that. I would be more cheesed off, however, if I had taken delivery of my car at the end of 2021 or maybe even early 2022 and got Atom and thought that I wouldn't be left behind so quickly.

Reactions: WllXM
I just drove 10 hours across France and it did tell me to stay on at every junction. On the plus side, the lane change was always in good time whereas in the UK it always leaves it too late and has to start decelerating. This time the car knew immediately that it was no longer in England, barely off the train before it said that it was changing the headlights and no one flashed me once using the matrix headlights.

I've kinda gone over this elsewhere, but I agree with you - to a point. Tesla trades heavily off of the "your car will get better over time with software" thing, whilst other manufacturers don't. In the latter case anything you get from them is usually a bonus to what you expected, with the former I'd argue it's a part of the value proposition.

The last time I was in a service centre, recently for a test drive, I saw no less than 4 large scale advertising hoardings talking about how software updates make the car better. It is clearly positioned as a USP for the brand.

Now, I have had updates so I can't argue against this in the strictest sense. They would arguably be compliant if they released anything that made the car better, even just once. I think most people would accept that this isn't a credible reading of the intent, though.

That all being said I do agree that it is unrealistic to expect cars - or indeed anything - not to leverage improvements in technology that as a consequence leaves owners on older, slower kit behind. As it is my car is over 4 years old at this point, it predated Ryzen by almost 2 years, so my grumbling is only really because it feels like this is a demarcation point from when basically any non "minor fixes" updates will target Ryzen and skip Atom entirely. Can't help but feel a bit bummed by that. I would be more cheesed off, however, if I had taken delivery of my car at the end of 2021 or maybe even early 2022 and got Atom and thought that I wouldn't be left behind so quickly.
Understand. I know we’ve been over this but my gut feeling is they will continue to bring you a lot of updates and only the stuff they feel that would be too slow on Atom they’ll skip. Again I know you also disagree on it being too slow but I don’t think for a minute they’ll say in a few months that you won’t get anything. Just you’ll get a reasonable but slightly smaller subset of the updates is all.

Think of it like the iPhone. Lots of them will get the next iOS this year but some new features will be reserved for the brand new iPhone which might need the vastly faster inference cores they’ll ship the phone with.

It’s not instant end of support, your car will age reasonably gracefully.

As you say some got screwed more on this by getting their cars maybe only a week or two before the switch. That’s always the risk with Tesla, same with things like the heat pump. In this sense I kind of liked the more predictable updates of legacy auto as you could time purchase better but understand that also means people wait for the new model which Tesla is trying to avoid.

Reactions: boombap and Durzel