Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

16:32 with 3 PWs in SoCal, Los Angeles DWP, what can I expect?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am now ready to dive in to the incredible knowledge, at least its incredible to me, of the posters on a technical level.

Outside, on the side of the house, mostly shaded, where everything will go, is the meter and main panel.

The main panel consists of one big red switch, according the the inspection I just had when we bought the house, its 150amp.

There is a subpanel about, oh, 20 feet away inside the garage. Because the house is built into a hillside, the connection between the main panel and subpanel must be either a conduit hidden in a wall or romex. My electrician said its not copper, but aluminum wiring (odd, but he said he'd replace it given the opportunity). The rest of house, including A/C, and car chargers goes through the subpanel. There is, I think, a sub-sub panel outside for the jacuzzi.

The roof is simple compared to others you guys have. I giant "A" with one side facing south. No dormers. 35 panels on the south facing side, 13 on the north. Slope is very low, like 15 degrees so the north facing side should do O.K.

Access from the roof to the side of the house where the equipment would go (its the west side) is probably just a conduit down that side of the house.

Finally, that "side of the house" is shaded, and that's becuase its about three to four feet from the property line, and a fence. So its going to be a job to lug three powerwalls to it, but doable. But it won't be one of those super-clean installs in a garage where they have a really cool dolly that lifts the powerwalls to the mounts.

I am guessing I am going to need some new stuff.

Before anyone comments on the powerwalls on the west side of a house outside, I would note that there is hardly any sun, With only three feet of clearance the neighbor's house is 15 feet above where the powewalls will sit, its like a canyon over there like some streets of NY.

Although I like the look of my own powerplant, its just too much for the garage which is used as a home office/recordiing studio.