Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Model 3 suspension sucks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Isn't it the same suspension that's in all the previous TM3s, possibly the most popular sedan selling these days? I would suspect it's something with your Model 3, or your wife. It is a sports car, perhaps it's not the right car for you, you could even have time to return it if you haven't had it long

Upvote 0
Probably the cheapest is to get very cheap wheels, like 18 or maybe 17s. I'm not sure a 16" would fit, but then just make up the difference with larger side walls. This will make a huge difference in ride quality. Tesla uses a very common pattern so look up on craigslist and buy some cheap steelie wheels with some large side wall wheels.

Upvote 0
On smooth roads the OEM suspension isn't too bad, but on rough roads it really sucks. I hear NJ has some pretty rough roads.

I improved ride quality by installing MPP comfort coilovers. Less jarring, but still sporty. They're roughly $1500 + install (I did it myself, so no install cost).

A lower cost / less invasive (as in won't impact warranty) option is smaller diameter wheels paired with tires that have a taller side wall like DougDC suggested. This will improve damping but at the expense of handling characteristics.

My opinion is that the OEM shocks are just too stiff. If I had to guess Tesla erred on the side of too stiff to avoid an underdamped system that feels bouncy. Given the car's weight this is a valid concern. The MPP comfort coilovers address the root cause of this shortcoming with the M3 suspension.

Reactions: Cce32
Upvote 0
On smooth roads the OEM suspension isn't too bad, but on rough roads it really sucks. I hear NJ has some pretty rough roads.

I improved ride quality by installing MPP comfort coilovers. Less jarring, but still sporty. They're roughly $1500 + install (I did it myself, so no install cost).

A lower cost / less invasive (as in won't impact warranty) option is smaller diameter wheels paired with tires that have a taller side wall like DougDC suggested. This will improve damping but at the expense of handling characteristics.

My opinion is that the OEM shocks are just too stiff. If I had to guess Tesla erred on the side of too stiff to avoid an underdamped system that feels bouncy. Given the car's weight this is a valid concern. The MPP comfort coilovers address the root cause of this shortcoming with the M3 suspension.

Upvote 0
If you want you can edit posts you have made, like that quote above w/o new content, you could have opened it back up and added the content you posted in the next message instead of posting one msg just quoting another post, that's always confusing to the reader.

Upvote 0