Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Model X 6 Seat EAP

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Super weird, person who was on their way to purchase the vehicle and was “45 min away” is no longer responding to my texts.. wonder if I just dodged a scam?

I've sold a lot of cars privately, and there are tons of scammers that make the process difficult.

Did you ever speak to them on the phone? I absolutely will not deal with anyone that won't talk on the phone because that's a huge red flag. And when I do talk them, I ask them simple conversational questions about the car I am selling that quickly exposes scammers. Things like which features do they want, what other versions of the vehicle have they looked out, how they plan to use the car, etc. If they don't know anything about the vehicle I am selling, or don't want to answer those types of questions, then they aren't serious buyers.

Yes! I did speak to him on the phone. He seemed legit too. His story was that he had a Rivian that was insurance totaled cause they couldn’t service it due to a parts shortage so he had cash on hand. SMH back to the selling drawing board. Maybe the Kia dealership where I’m getting my Telluride from will give me a decent trade-in value (doubt it).

Last edited:
Yes! I did speak to him on the phone. He seemed legit too. His story was that he had a Rivian that was insurance totaled cause they couldn’t service it due to a parts shortage so he had cash on hand. SMH back to the selling drawing board. Maybe the Kia dealership where I’m getting my Telluride from will give me a decent trade-in value (doubt it).

You did all the right things. People are weird.

Reactions: Aproxia
Had an interesting inquiry yesterday, anyone have any experience with this type of a "sale"?:

Hi are you open to a lease to own agreement? I’m willing to pay the monthly payments and a little more if you’re interested, if not thanks anyway

Basically it means that I would give you monthly payments and I’m willing to more than your current monthly payments until the car is paid off, we would sign a notarized contract between us. I could send it to you to look at if you would like?

Had an interesting inquiry yesterday, anyone have any experience with this type of a "sale"?:

Run Forrest! Run!

The last thing you want to do is any kind of owner finance! When he has your $100K Model X and then stops making payments to you, do you really want to deal with that? Especially if you finally get your car back and it's trashed?

Last edited:
As of this morning, it has 3,543 miles. No major trips planned.

That's quite a few for a car only a couple of months old. If it had very low miles, I was going to suggest posting on the Delivery threads on Model X forum in case someone waiting for the same spec wanted to save some big bucks on a basically new car. But with over 3500 miles, it's really in the used car category and they would have gone that route already if they wanted a used Model X.

Last edited:
To me that screams “bad credit” but cash available.

Probably just enough cash to make the first payment so he can pick up the $100K car. 😂

The only way that would ever work is if you got a huge down payment so the other guy has good of equity in the car, you made sure you had some kind of insurance on the car in case they drop insurance, and then you were willing to deal with being involved in a repossession of the car, court battles, paperwork messes, and then deal with aftermath of whatever damage they could have done to the car.