Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

25 minute hold for emergency roadside service

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I keep two spare tires in my garage, a hockey puck in my trunk and a AAA membership as a backup in case Tesla roadside assistance falls apart. A number of people have posted that even after they got through Tesla informed them they did not have any spare tires available which pretty much defeats the purpose of having roadside assistance.

There also don’t have spares for snow tires, at least they didn’t last winter. I waited almost 1hr to get through and almost another hr for the truck. Was a Thursday evening if I remember correctly.

thank you to everyone who replied to my question.
I guess I am concluding from this discussion that we have 4 ways to deal with a flat.
1. call tesla roadside assistance and they will maybe answer and if they do they will arrange for a flatbed to come and take your tesla to ???where. I live in Maine. The closest Tesla dealer is in Mass. Or do they just take it to a generic shop who can repair the tire
2. Call AAA if you have it and the same thing happens as in #1. Do they always have a flatbed available? if not then what?
3. Have the Tesla tire repair kit and a.try and put in a plug or b. use the slime to get you to the nearest generic tire shop to repair the tire. If it isnt reparable then the car isnt driveable until TESLA ships a new tire to the shop. Meanwhile what does one do for a car???
4. You have your own jack and hockey puck and spare and change out the tire on your own on the side of the road like normal

thanks for your help

Stephan

thank you to everyone who replied to my question.
I guess I am concluding from this discussion that we have 4 ways to deal with a flat.
1. call tesla roadside assistance and they will maybe answer and if they do they will arrange for a flatbed to come and take your tesla to ???where. I live in Maine. The closest Tesla dealer is in Mass. Or do they just take it to a generic shop who can repair the tire
2. Call AAA if you have it and the same thing happens as in #1. Do they always have a flatbed available? if not then what?
3. Have the Tesla tire repair kit and a.try and put in a plug or b. use the slime to get you to the nearest generic tire shop to repair the tire. If it isnt reparable then the car isnt driveable until TESLA ships a new tire to the shop. Meanwhile what does one do for a car???
4. You have your own jack and hockey puck and spare and change out the tire on your own on the side of the road like normal

thanks for your help

Stephan
Why does Tesla have to ship a tire in #3? You can buy a replacement tire from anywhere. Unless you're implying that you expect the tire to be covered under warranty? Once you get to a tire shop, you're problem can be solved in a matter of minutes to hours.

I called emergency roadside service today Sunday at 9 am PST for a flat tire.
I was astounded that the hold time was 25 minutes!
Fortunately I was in a safe location, but can you imagine someone on the side of the freeway nervously waiting for 25 minutes for someone to pick up? At the end of the call I quickly mentioned I should let him go take care of the queue,
and he said it's really bad on Sundays because people call that number for general support ("how do I....")
since that line is not open on Sunday.

When I first got my Tesla a year ago, I called and they picked right up, and I've assumed it would be like that
if I ever have an emergency in the future. Today was, at the very least, unsettling.

On a positive note, the music on hold was an excellent mix of 80s music including Madonna's "Into the Groove."
Unless you have some headphones or you can use your speakerphone, holding a phone is not very practical.
- I just called the Social Security and they gave me the option of getting a call back instead of waiting online, and it worked perfectly.
(When I received the call, I even got the option to request to get called few minutes later in case I was busy)

Why does Tesla have to ship a tire in #3? You can buy a replacement tire from anywhere. Unless you're implying that you expect the tire to be covered under warranty? Once you get to a tire shop, you're problem can be solved in a matter of minutes to hours.
No I guess that is right. I was asking more than stating in my 3 scenarios. I guess only if the wheel needs to be replaced. But am I correct in my other scenarios? The slime or the plug method will get you somewhere where they can either fix the flat or replace the tire right? And did we establish that the slime does not ruin the sensors? Also I assume one has to find the nail or whatever punctured the tire before using the slime right?

sorry I sound naive about this. It is because I am....

s