Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Across the USA for battery upgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just finished my trip from NV to NC and back to get my battery upgraded from @wk057 I went from a P85D to a P100DL, my battery was in great condition and according to recurrent it was actually much better the others on the road, but i wanted more range and faster charging so it was time to upgrade the pack.

I love collecting data and figured I'd share it with all y'all.

going there
It took 56 hours and 15 minutes to complete the drive of 2,640 miles. i charged for a total of 16.7 hours with an average stopped time of 40 min for a would be cost of $325 (free charging)

For the return trip
it took 51 hours and 45 minutes, 2,643 miles. Charge totaling 9.9 hours with an average stopped time of 23 minutes and a would be cost of $338 i could've charged less but i need to nap and with such fast charging the car would be like its time to start driving and I'd have just started to drift off to sleep

You can see the charts here with the 85 in red and the 100 in yellow how much faster the supercharging really is.
One thing is a bit disorienting and will take some getting used to thought is the amount f juice remaining to get somewhere. I'll be driving and have 47% or so and it will say I'll have 30% when i get to my charge location like 50 miles away. After having the 85 for soooo long I've gotten used to how much will be remaining and what a random distance will take for power.

overlay.png

We use OEM 100 kWh packs that we refurbish. While Tesla won't generally do this for whatever reason, the official firmware and such exists to do it since at some point they must have done so (probably for a service vehicle or something). There are some other modifications needed on the vehicle side, depending on the vehicle, but we handle all of that in the cost of the upgrade.
Any plans of opening a second shop closer to the West Coast? A battery upgrade sounds more and more appealing as newer Tesla models don't hit the spot as much as my 2014 MS does. But traveling cross country on a 60 (or shipping it) just might be too much...

Any plans of opening a second shop closer to the West Coast? A battery upgrade sounds more and more appealing as newer Tesla models don't hit the spot as much as my 2014 MS does. But traveling cross country on a 60 (or shipping it) just might be too much...

• Informative
Reactions: Vinc