Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any way heated steering wheel function can be added?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
yes it can be done, no tesla will not help in any way to do this.
I'm not sure if or what any differences are between a 17 and my 14 in this case but i used this tread to do the retrofit myself.

So, i had Tesla come out, or rather him and I talked, and long story short like you said, they wont update configuration much less add any hardware to steering harness on my 2017. I know that mine didnt have the cold weather package or whatever that option was for the heated back seats or steering wheel, but i thought maybe I could check. I think the steering wheel harness where the connection go, there isnt a heating ecu present. Ive pulled the steering wheel off before when I was messing around with the trim piece, and didnt see that 3rd plug which is the heater connector, perhaps it there and I just didnt see it but I doubt. Also, the steering wheel itself there was not plug there so car wasnt built with from factory. Anyway, even if I got the heating ecu installed, I still would have no way of activating it via software correct?

Last edited:
yes it can be done, no tesla will not help in any way to do this.
I'm not sure if or what any differences are between a 17 and my 14 in this case but i used this tread to do the retrofit myself.
So, i read this thread, seems like i just need to add the heating ecu and there might be a way to enable the gateway provided everything is wired correctly. EBAY seems to have the heating ecu for about $60.00, seems well worth it to add. Is this the part that I need to retrofit on existing airbag?

Attachments

• heating harness 2.jpeg
    heating harness 2.jpeg
    197.7 KB · Views: 240
Last edited:
yes, I havent had the software part done, im getting some help with that this weekend, but the physical changes necessary on the steering wheel were all done. It took a while to replace the existing harness with the heater ecu transferred over to my existing airbag, but once that was done, it was pretty easy. I found a 2018 harness off EBAY, $52.00

yes, I havent had the software part done, im getting some help with that this weekend, but the physical changes necessary on the steering wheel were all done. It took a while to replace the existing harness with the heater ecu transferred over to my existing airbag, but once that was done, it was pretty easy. I found a 2018 harness off EBAY, $52.00
Hey @Durwood101 any updates on how it went? I'd love to get my 2016.5 MS (MCU2, latest software) retrofitted before the winter. I'm mostly interested in the software part:)

I have tried with Tesla, some time ago, although I do not have any friendly someone there. They now have refused to retrofit any possible units as they claim your car is that what rolled off the factory. It’s sad, as they do have specific service bulletins how to add different gadget if user opens specific service request. You can try, maybe you will be lucky?
It’s also now quite limited with MCU1 car’s…