Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best way to maintain paint / on car in a cost effective way?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What are some good ways that I can protect my model Y? It'll be outside during the winter so I want to keep it in good condition during year 1. Do y'all have recommendations about what I'll need to buy to protect the paint on my car? I've heard front ceramic coating is helpful. What's the typical cost of this? What else can I do to protect it? Will wrapping the car help?

I spoke to a recommended local company about the same. We spoke about paint protection film (not for whole car, just the front), ceramic coating, and lastly a full wrap. He recommended PPF to prevent against chips, road debris etc. The rough costs, that were given to me over the phone from my local person which does not reflect what is available elsewhere, PPF $1800, Ceramic coating $1700, Full wrap varies.

It is my understanding that PPF is thick, protects against debris. Ceramic protects paint (a simple description is better than wax and lasts longer), Wrap protects everything but not nearly as good as PPF.

Would enjoy reading others thoughts on this, as I am only regurgitating what I heard or understand. Please correct me if my examples are not good enough or just wrong.

Leaving any vehicle parked outdoors regularly, long term, is not good for the paint or other trim. The vehicle will be exposed to the elements, sun and and wind blown debris. Vehicle covers can help but they present their own issues including trapping moisture and the wind causing the cover to rub against the finish.

There; just saved you a ton of money. If you can't garage the vehicle just accept that it will not look new in a year's time.

You will definitely want to install a set of mudflaps (there is a thread longer than the Milwaukee Yellow Pages directory) and consider PPF for the rear doors as these get hit with road debris even with front mud flaps installed.

If you use an off-brand, cheap, or alternate washing detergents for your vehicle, the chemicals can and will deteriorate the ceramic coat thus compromising the integrity. Over time your cars paint will begin to show swirl marks, scratches, or patches as these harsh chemicals have eaten away at your paint.

Ceramic coating is often used for newer vehicles rather than older models or surface damaged vehicles. The reason for this is because the ceramic coating not only protects the cars paint, but it will enhance the looks of the current condition of your cars paint.
Uh..good info but you should find the "Edit" button lol.

Ceramic Coating is not a sealant or wax as they can be washed off, chipped, off, or eaten way by elements. This is a paint coating. The coating will not only endure extreme weather conditions, but it will provide protection from chemical reactions from certain soaps or other car wash chemicals, and this coating repels water better than its counterparts.
Could I have tesla add the coating or would I need to go to an autobody shop for this?