Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cabin overheat not engaging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My cabin overheat seems to only come on when it wants to. It is set to ON in security settings. some days it functions fine, and other days, like today, I can't get it to engage. The cabin is at 120 degrees right now, and still no overheat protection. I have 202 miles of charge, drove last night, don't know if any of that matters. Anyone else having this problem?

My cabin overheat seems to only come on when it wants to. It is set to ON in security settings. some days it functions fine, and other days, like today, I can't get it to engage. The cabin is at 120 degrees right now, and still no overheat protection. I have 202 miles of charge, drove last night, don't know if any of that matters. Anyone else having this problem?
You’re not having a problem, but perhaps you don’t understand cabin overheat protection. You said you drove last night. For up to 30 minutes after you exited the car, the A/C will come on if the cabin temp reaches 105 degrees. This will happen if you have at least 20% range on the battery. The purpose is for safety, to protect a pet or small child inadvertently left in the car. It’s not to prevent the cabin from getting hot overnight, or the next day. If you want to precool the cabin before getting in the car, that’s what the app is for.

OP not sure what your situation was each day it didn't come on and in your post you didn't say you had sat in it that morning, but I know on our MS apart from having it set to turn on, you need to actually sit in it each day for it to be activated. Can't use an app to turn it on. Requires your butt to be in the drivers seat and then when you exit, it will as someone said be activated and when the temp gets to 104F it will cool the car down to below that and keep adjusting over the hours to keep it no hotter than that. After the specified hours of cabin overheat protection, it turns off until the car is sat in again by the driver. You don't need to reset any setting for the next day other than sit in the drivers seat.

There are days we don't drive the car (husband can take a company bus) and given our hot summer temps (seems like always in 90s now) we need to remember for one of us to sit in the car each morning. I wish it could be turned on by app but at least with our MS and software we have installed right now, it doesn't work that way. We don't have kids or pets to worry about but think it's a smart idea to keep the car's interior with electronics in the lower temp range if we can. I'm assuming that the cabin overheat protection in the Model 3 works the same as the Model S but you might want to check your manual and make sure you are understanding how they intend it to function. It's really meant to hopefully prevent those tragic situations you hear about every summer when a parent has their baby in the back seat car seat and forgets to drop them off at day care and goes to work only to leave work for the day and find that their child has baked in the car while they were inside. In the intended situation, the car would have been driven that day and would trigger the cabin overheat protection to come on.

Last edited: